• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dialing in my WC setup. Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cgfelli

Hey everyone, after weeks of reading through various sites about water cooling, I'm about ready to pull the trigger and order everything. I'm long due for a new computer and this will be my first time venturing into the world of water cooling. I have compiled a list of the parts I am currently looking at below, as well as 2 options for my WC setup.​

Hardware
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-930 (OC'ing to 3.5GHz)
  • MOBO - ASUS P6X58D Premium
  • GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Superclocked
  • PSU - Corsair 850HX - 850W
  • RAM - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600
  • SSD - Intel X25-M 80GB
  • HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB

Cooling #1 (Single Loop)
  • RAD - Thermochill PA120.3 (120.4 if needed)
  • PUMP - MCP355 + EK X-Top Acrylic Top
  • RES - EK MultiOption 4 Port 250ml
  • Fans - (6/8x) GTyphoon 120mm 1150RPM (Push/Pull)
  • GPU Block - EK-FC480 GTX / Nickel
  • CPU Block - EK Supreme HF / Nickel
  • Tubing - PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT
  • Fittings - Bitspower Compression Fittings
  • Liquid - Distilled Water + PT Nuke

Cooling #2 (Double Loop)
  • RAD - (2x) Thermochill PA120.2
  • PUMP - (2x) MCP355 + (2x) EK X-Top Acrylic Top
  • RES - (2x) EK MultiOption 4 Port 150ml
  • Fans - (8x) GTyphoon 120mm 1150RPM (Push/Pull)
  • GPU Block - EK-FC480 GTX / Nickel
  • CPU Block - EK Supreme HF / Nickel
  • Tubing - PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT
  • Fittings - Bitspower Compression Fittings
  • Liquid - Distilled Water + PT Nuke

I will be building a case around my setup so I will have no space issues, and this will be a pretty open budget build. The computer is primarily for gaming, music and word processing, 90% of the gaming being WoW / WC3 / SC2 / D3 (On release). Only intending to OC to 3.5, 3.8 max, I shouldn't be pusing the computer too hard. If anyone has any input and/or suggestions of any kind, I would appreciate it very much :clap: Thanks for looking!​

because the case is being built around your rad and budget is open then i would opt for the larger (quad120mm) rad, i would hate to see high temps and you having to add more rad or rebuild a case.

otherwise looks like a solid build, well done!

all we need is pictures :)

With a GTX480 and an i7, I would hands down go with a dual loop option. This also allows you flexibility to add a second 480 later on loop 2.

Those 480's put out bucket-loads of heat and wattage. The i7 is a scorcher as well.

If your getting a 480 OC and going to OC the CPU somewhat your looking at 550 watts of heat.

Yea, two loops. Misread the post.

Your really cutting it close on heatload vs noise vs rad size.

The CPU is good for 230 watts under load. Looking at rad tests your DT temps will be about 10C, very poor, your CPU won't be happy.
Your GPU Vregs might choke a bit, your looking at 13C DT.

You might want to get some GT 1850s and fan control them. Even with them your temps won't be great but hopefully good enough.

My data is from here and here.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

If silence is a key, might look at upping the rad size to 120x3 on both rads. I use the 1850's on my PA 120.3 and my XSPC RX, they turn down to silent with no problem, and if I need more I can crank them up so I can barely hear them. And with these low FPI rads, you really don't need push pull, I don't need it. Save some $$.

There are as good rads as the PA 120 rads for cheaper. Black Ice SR-1 series and the XSPC RX series.

Some links you might not of seen yet.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Last edited:
because the case is being built around your rad and budget is open then i would opt for the larger (quad120mm) rad, i would hate to see high temps and you having to add more rad or rebuild a case.

otherwise looks like a solid build, well done!

all we need is pictures :)

As soon as I get my desktop back i'll have some preliminary renderings done for the case :thup: unless of course you want a page full of microsoft paint drawings :D

With a GTX480 and an i7, I would hands down go with a dual loop option. This also allows you flexibility to add a second 480 later on loop 2.

Those 480's put out bucket-loads of heat and wattage. The i7 is a scorcher as well.

After reading through the suggestions it looks like I will definitely be going with a dual loop, thanks!

If your getting a 480 OC and going to OC the CPU somewhat your looking at 550 watts of heat.

Thats too much for good CPU temps on a 120x4 even while gaming unless you get GT 1850's in push pull and crank them to max.

Sorry to say you better get two 120x3 rads, especially if you add nother GPU down the road. And two fully seperate loops.

How much have you dug into heatload and delta T temps yet?

Some links you might not of seen yet.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Many thanks for the links :) I haven't read too much about heatload and delta T temps, i'll make sure to get a firm grasp of it before I make any final decisions.

Thanks for the input everyone :grouphug:

Back