• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hate noise especially when the PSU is the loudest.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

After PSU nightmare, GTX470's under water, all's good.

:rain:Well it finally got to me. About 1.5 years ago I bought a Ultra X3 1000 watt PSU. They said it's quiet and a temp controlled fan.

I thought it was as good as it gets. Well a few weeks ago I was playing with my fan speeds and listened to my pumps. I decided that this PSU fan had to go.:rain:

I called Ultra and told them my fan is getting louder. They cross shipped a new one (I had to prepay CC just in case I'm a thief:sn:, no biggie).

I installed it today and after a brief mishap of plugging the 8 pin PCI into the 12vdc mobo PSU connector, all is good. Thankfully no smoke, I should dbl check the plug names eh?:shock:

It's much quieter, even with Prime and Furmark running.;)

Good warrenty, better second PSU. Less overall noise, shweet!:attn:

Last edited:
you low noise people...

i think the 8 pin pci and power for the board are the same plug and same wiring for such an instance.

so what's the loudest part now?

Ohh I forgot to mention. Umm umm, I had the mobo one connected to the GPU one, and didn't have the second 8 pin for the GPU in at all.. at all. Mobo boot faults, only one of 3 monitors came on.

The wind outside the window. Actually, it's all pretty close now. Still don't think I can hear my pumps over my GT 1850s down to about half. It's just better, I know that. I'm not Skinnee! Quit poking me with the math and science stick.

I have to be 30-40 DB MAX. Any noise I make is louder than the PC now. My wife just walked by bare feet on the carpet, I could hear her feet shuffle, and she is no big woman, 105 lbs.

Overall I bet it's dropped by 1/3rd, and it was bugging me. Who knows, next year I'll put the rads/pumps in a seperate room and get a 250mm fan at 3 RPM over my PC to cool the mobo.

i guess i've never had the joy of having a low noise setup. well one time when i was fixing my neighbours dell the loudest thing the was hard drive on it.

it was nice but i just don't mind the noise that my setup makes. as long as it's not a high pitched noise i'm good.

now if i can get my car louder i will be happy, only at 143 DB :(

Beautiful PSU... love the finish on those X3's. And you gotta love that lifetime warranty... good to see them backing it up. *Sigh*, I almost went with that one for my last build... at this point, I kinda wish I had.

sweet!!! i have a quiet PSU and the loudest thing is the grill on the side of my case making noise as air enters

Well not so sweet, I'm gonna tell no lies. I think I meesed up a GPU. My mobo has an 8 pin 12vdc connector. It looks just like my 8 pin PCI connector. Well I plugged the PCI 8 pin into the mobo connector slot on my PSU, and left the 12vdc 8 pin disconnected. Needless to say I got a messed up error etc for boot codes etc.

I run TWO GTX 280's SLI, they have a 6 and 8 pin connector on each.

So I went back and actually used the manual. Funny, as you know how anal I am to do it right. I redid the wires, booted up. Wrong resolution, tried to configure, couldn't find Nvidia control panel, said I didn't have a Nvida card, one GPU (which has two monitors on it, the second GPU has one) in device manager was disabled etc.

Well I got it all back up and running, was looking good, SLI was fine, switching back and forth to single card is fine, thought I was good to go. But over the last 2 days I have had 3 bad crashes. Video driver blue screen types, and a few time a bit of screen flicker and total lock. This isn't while gaming.

Yesterday morning I ran furmark and Prime 95 for an hour and it all looked great (loading new PSU).

I betcha I bombed the mem a teeny bit on the primary card.

Word to the wise, you play with big pricy stuff, it's expensive to fix.

And now the good news. Called Frys (great to have one in town), they have two GTX 470's with my name on them. EVGA even. $5 more than the best internet price, just have to pay tax.

Now I just wait for Skinnee to get the Swiftech block in so I can order one, err two. Just payed off my PC credit card and now this. Wife isn't happy. Last time I screwed up with installing a bad mem chip it cost me a better CPU, better mobo, better ram.

And I had been mentioning in Aug or so I was gonna upgrade my GPUs and warned her. She said in a half hearted joking term, "You just couldn't wait could you"?

Put the old PSU in, gonmna wait a few days. Loaded up Prime and Fur, looking good but darnit, back to that loud fan on the PSU. 3 days test each moringing beofre work cruz the web etc. 30 min each night under load. We'll see.

I hate that fan on the PSU in comparison to the new one, even at idle/typing.

Okay folks! The 470's are going under water this weekend. Koolance 470 blocks are here and waiting.

Hope for me, I'll be off line for a day or two....

My PSU is the loudest fan too, which is disappointing since it's a 135mm fan. Anyone know if these things can be safely volt modded?

Nothing do do with Conundrums problem, but thought I'd throw it in based on the title of the thread. Quietest PSU I've ever tried = Zalman -HP series! Dead quiet, but absolutely huge

All done! Install was normal

Just waiting for the last bubbles to dissipate, top off tomorrow.

Idles at 38C both cards.

Used to idle at 57 on one, 75 on the other.

Ran Heaven benchmark for 30 min, top temps were 49C, Ambient at 81F.

They were in the low 90's under load before.

Pics........

470640x480.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg