• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet rig questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F_Urn

Registered
One of my main goals in setting up a water cooling rig is to reduce noise. I've decided on a radiator that will work with low speed fans, but the pump I had in mind, I chose just because it was a quality pump. So I am wondering if the pump I have in mind is an alright choice with low noise in mind, or can someone suggest an alternative pump that may be better suited? (not that I need silence, but if its one of the louder pumps then I might want to pick a different one.)

My parts are
Swiftech MCR-320 (non-stacking)
MCP-655 vario for pump
EK-supreme HF

The only other thing I might add to the loop is chip set blocks (just found out my mobo's chip set can run hot, but I have no plans to add them now), and my GPUs will have a separate loop when I decide to cool them.

As for fans I plan on getting Gentle Typhoons, but that leads me to my second question. If I am going to controll the fan speed with a fan controller, does it matter what speed the fans are rated for? Like if I get the 1450 RPM models, will it work just fine if I want to make them go higher or lower than that with the controller?

great start so far, but just so you know there is better rads suited for low speed fans like the XSPC RX series, Black ice SR-1, and thermochill. though they cost a good bit more.

i run 2 of the MCP655's and they are very quiet, it's the right pump for you.

i would opt for the higher speed fans if you plan to get the fan controller, why not have the extra head room.

great start so far, but just so you know there is better rads suited for low speed fans like the XSPC RX series, Black ice SR-1, and thermochill. though they cost a good bit more.

i run 2 of the MCP655's and they are very quiet, it's the right pump for you.

i would opt for the higher speed fans if you plan to get the fan controller, why not have the extra head room.

Yeah I have been going back and forth between the MCR 320 and ones from XSPC. But I can get the swiftech one for so much less :(

Thanks for the info about the pump. I'm getting ready to order parts and thought I would play it safe and ask, I'm glad I did. I was thinking the same thing about the fans too.

ya i feel the same way and went the same way. you can get 2 swiftech's for the price of 1 XSPC RX or black ice SR-1 and have better cooling and just as quiet. the only issue is extra space is needed.

I see, thanks for the info. I was using the cooler master fans I have that are at 2000 RPM as a base, and figured I wanted slower fans than that. But I think my CM fans are on the noisier side.

I see, thanks for the info. I was using the cooler master fans I have that are at 2000 RPM as a base, and figured I wanted slower fans than that. But I think my CM fans are on the noisier side.

you can use slower then 2000 RPM but you never know they are less noiser

cicerok, I see your new. You have PM's off.

:welcome:To OCF!

Question. Do you have a i7 965 DO CPU? They were never sold to the public. Your sig is kinda like mine. Just wondering why the wording is just like my sig.

If you got the same thing cool. If not...........

I agree on radding big,, and you want to cool the Mobo when you get to it. The MCR 320 is a great rad, but for the planned heatload it will make more noise that you might like. Please look on how to get two MCR320's to fit with cheap awesome Yate loon fans. Two of those rads and the fans is almost equal in price to ONE XSPC RX 120x3 and you can run some VERY quiet fans. Your DT will be much lower so you can d run quiet fans.

cicerok, I see your new. You have PM's off.

:welcome:To OCF!

Question. Do you have a i7 965 DO CPU? They were never sold to the public. Your sig is kinda like mine. Just wondering why the wording is just like my sig.

If you got the same thing cool. If not...........

lol, if only it was that easy to get a system....

I agree on radding big,, and you want to cool the Mobo when you get to it. The MCR 320 is a great rad, but for the planned heatload it will make more noise that you might like. Please look on how to get two MCR320's to fit with cheap awesome Yate loon fans. Two of those rads and the fans is almost equal in price to ONE XSPC RX 120x3 and you can run some VERY quiet fans. Your DT will be much lower so you can d run quiet fans.

I think eventually I will add another rad off the back of my case. I should update my sig, now I have a haf 932 so my first 120x3 will be mounted inside on the top, then later I'll add one on the back. The reason I went with the GT fans is because I read that the bearings in the Yate loon fans are not ideal for horizontal mounting, but I plan to use them for my next rad which will be vertical.

Back