• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a bunch of random questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodamanjaro

Registered
I just have a bunch of random questions about cooling since I'm looking into setting up a new L.C. setup for my desktop, which already has a V8 heatsink CPU cooler. So to know where I'm coming from, here's my system:

i7 920 socket 1366 @ stock (2.66) ...but will be O.C. when i get this setup
6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
30GB SSD OCZ Turbo
1TB Caviar Black (7200rpm, 32Mb cache)
Antec 1200
Windows 7 pro 64bit
Vid card at the moment: Nvidia 9800GTX+ (512MB)
Getting in a month or so: Nvidia GTX480

So here are the questions:

1. I've looked at the 480's temps and realized that a W.C. setup is what I'll want if I want it to run much cooler than a noisy fan. Am I thinking right on this? Take a decent-sized budget into consideration for this as well.

2. If (1) is a yes, then how much am I looking into for purchasing the individual parts to get a decent W.C.'d setup? (I'm talking about the radiator, pump, reservoir, pipes, and blocks. Also, a ball park figure works too...)

3. If I see a "water block," can I also use other cooling liquids on these instead of water? (I've heard water isn't as nice as other liquids for cooling)

4. Since the Antec 1200 is a bigger case, should I expect myself to actually "mod" my case, or is a decent setup possible within the actual case?

5. Do you know any good tutorial sites of how to set this up more? I've watched many videos of case mods and setups, but I feel that if I watch more and more of them, I'll somehow know what I'll be doing when I do it.

Thanks in advance, and I have to say you guys are awesome.
Yodamanajro

First :welcome: to oc forums
Second, wrong section pm a moderator to move it into watercooling. or delete this one copy paste and do a new thread in watercooling section.
Read These.
1. You only want to cool the gtx 480? or u want a full setup (cpu + gpu included)
2. What budget? Gpu only we talk about 300-350 for a good setup.
3. False... Water is the best. can't gunk ur systems or create any other thing that is bad.
Here we recomend distilled water + PHN nuke.
4. I dunno. u might be able to 120.3/120.4 internal in there.
5. the first link.
U might want to do a sig so we can see ur full rig. Tips. Under the blue banner at top u will see User cp click then signature and edit.

Gtx 480 run hot.
120.2 rad or 120.3 will be enough for it.

Hiyas! We ask you to PM a mod to move this. Or I can, it will be moved.

I see your fully new at watercooling.

I'll give you quick answers and then a bunch of links in a post you need to bookmark and read a lot. It was made for a new guy, so take it as you wish. We are working on more better stickies to help folks do it right.

1. Yea WC a 480 ain't cheap. The GPU block alone is ohh $125?
2. Might as well cool the CPU too. $600 easy for CPU GPU.
3. Distilled water and a biocide is the king here as many pro setups. You want to waste your money on marketing? Be my guest.
4. Due to your massive GPU and a pretty hot GPU, you'll need to hang a Rad off the back of your case or completely tear the top off and mount a rad up there, loosing two bay slots. Sorry physics wins here.

And the promised links. Read, bookmark, don't rush it, you sound pretty level headed, so patience is a virtue. Go through all the guide links once twice, last 20-30 posts here dealing with new question type posts, and you'll be ready to get more figuring. Don't dig too deep into Martins or Skinnes yet, but take a look at a rad or a CPU review. Deep stuff.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Back