• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R.I.P. MIIF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grnfinger

So I left the rig running today while at work crunching, I came home and to my surprise a lovely BSOD greets me, "Hardware Failure"
Excellent cause thats a easy one to trouble shoot, so I shut the rig down and waited a second or 2 and powered on, oooo the suspense but sadly nothing.

So I cleared cmos, pulled battery, unpluged from wall blah blah still nothing, as a last resort I pop'd the chip then replaced it and powered on...yea it posted then died a horrible death, strange lines on my screen and a hard lock when it was gettting ready to load windows now no power no lights no nothing... socket is squeaky clean no burns ect chip looks ok, I hope my gpu and chip survived.

After a quick google search most ppl say it could be a PSU problem whats a reliable way to test a PSU without having multi meter on hand?

If you have a light bulb and some wire or a test light, you could at least check to make sure it has power, but w/o a multi-meter, your SOL. For someone that owns a $200+ dollar motherboard, you would be advised to buy a $20 dollar cheapie MM from Radioshack or Harbor Freight.

I had a Video Card Fan shut down and the screen went pink. I called for RMA and they suggested that it might be my PSU. He said check in Bios for Voltages, which I of course did, and they were up to spec. But to go one step further, I checked the voltages on all of my outputs and they were 5 and 12V like they were supposed to be.

Its worth the $20 dollar investment, considering what it costs even to ship a Board in for RMA when there is nothing wrong with it.

FWIW, I have not been particularly impressed with my MIIIF and sometimes wish I had stayed Gigabyte. Too many bugs, but I realize the board is only about 6mo. old so maybe there will be some fixes.

Sorry to hear about your loss, good luck on getting it squared away.

If you have a light bulb and some wire or a test light, you could at least check to make sure it has power, but w/o a multi-meter, your SOL. For someone that owns a $200+ dollar motherboard, you would be advised to buy a $20 dollar cheapie MM from Radioshack or Harbor Freight.

I had a Video Card Fan shut down and the screen went pink. I called for RMA and they suggested that it might be my PSU. He said check in Bios for Voltages, which I of course did, and they were up to spec. But to go one step further, I checked the voltages on all of my outputs and they were 5 and 12V like they were supposed to be.

Its worth the $20 dollar investment, considering what it costs even to ship a Board in for RMA when there is nothing wrong with it.

FWIW, I have not been particularly impressed with my MIIIF and sometimes wish I had stayed Gigabyte. Too many bugs, but I realize the board is only about 6mo. old so maybe there will be some fixes.

Sorry to hear about your loss, good luck on getting it squared away.

I guess your right, off to radio shack for a multi meter..

I'm in the same boat about the MIIIF it has some bugs and I'm short on patience with Asus and there lack of bios support.. I was looking at EVGA and think I might sell the board and try them out. If you have not tried bios 1607 dont I have lost ram stability making the jump and cant revert back, nothing I try will let me, bios 801 is the best to date imo I requested a new bios chip from Asus but they cant send me one they want to RMA the board to replace the bios chip :rolleyes:

You can downgrade bios, there is an option in the Asus Update Tool. You just gotta know how to do it. :)

I have downgraded before.

yeah I select the option but it wont take the flash anymore, it goes from 0% to 100% in a split second and writes nothing, AFUDOS wont work and BUPDATER is of no use.

Frustrated with the board to say the least, might rma both boards and be done with Asus for a while.

You clicked the downgrade box in the options menu? Its downgrade from file.

While I would recommend finding out if its your board first, or not something else.... if you have money to burn, then go for it. I just hope that Asus starts working on these problems.

Didn't you have a prior problem from this board that you have posted, also have you tried Gigabyte board, they seem to be good.

I think all Asus boards as of late have been buggy. I think because the P55 is a relatively new platform, there are bound to be some issues.

Its kind of like the old X43 and X45s. One overclocks much better than the others. These boards work fine at stock, but if your buying (R.O.G. - Republic of Gamers) with special OVER CLOCKING tools, then you expect it to overclock better than boards that do not claim such things.

Its a shame to think that my $100 dollar Micro ATX board had less issues than this one.

Now that I have a new chip, I can actually hit Bclks of 225, but the problem is, over 199Bclk and my board doesn't detect 8GB of RAM. So you see, it "works" but it does not "work right". If I want 8GB of RAM I can't overclock past 4378. The good thing is that my CPU really only does 4.4 at less than 1.4V, If I want higher I gotta use 1.45V or higher, and the extra MHz isn't worth the 4GB RAM loss or the Extra Voltage. And if I want to just do max Clocks for benching, losing 4GB isn't hurting any scores.

I just got off of the phone with Asus about my Buggy Ram situation. Apparently I qualify for APS (Asus Premium Services). They are sending me out a new Motherboard. I hope maybe there was a revision of some sort and they have fixed the problem.

He actually asked me if I had tried a different Processor. I said, "Actually, I have and its sitting right in front of me. It only costs $250 dollars to find out if its your motherboard thats having the problem or my Processor."

I'd be really happy if they sent me out an Extreme. :)

I just got off of the phone with Asus about my Buggy Ram situation. Apparently I qualify for APS (Asus Premium Services). They are sending me out a new Motherboard. I hope maybe there was a revision of some sort and they have fixed the problem.

He actually asked me if I had tried a different Processor. I said, "Actually, I have and its sitting right in front of me. It only costs $250 dollars to find out if its your motherboard thats having the problem or my Processor."

I'd be really happy if they sent me out an Extreme. :)

this is very interesting, can you please expand on the story?
Sounds very much like the issue I'm having with my ram

Brutal-Force keep us posted if the new bard fixes your memory problem. So I take it that Asus supports overclocking problems when you call in or did you get a special favor.

Gigabyte will only repair stock clocking problems, they don't support overclocking on there support help or RMA

Look up the rampage or maximus boards and you will see why. These are Republic of Gamers Boards, the top of the line boards "Designed" specifically for overclocking. They even support overclocking from an alternate computer (Laptop or netbook) both wired and bluetooth.

It was not a special favor. But I didn't know they would do advanced RMA without a cost.

As for overclocking my RAM. Technically the overclocking part is not the problem. There are certain RAM frequency/IMC/Bclk combonations that cause only 4GB of RAM to show up. Although the motherboard can "see" the RAM, it is not utilized. From reading all of the Asus boards and using Google, this is not an isolated incident with Asus boards. It seems to span more than just the Maximus. Also, Generally people using 8GB on dual channel boards and 12GB on Triple channel are seeing this. If you use half the amount, you would never see this problem.

Look up the rampage or maximus boards and you will see why. These are Republic of Gamers Boards, the top of the line boards "Designed" specifically for overclocking. They even support overclocking from an alternate computer (Laptop or netbook) both wired and bluetooth.

It was not a special favor. But I didn't know they would do advanced RMA without a cost.
I was just wondering because Gigabyte will not support any of there overclocking boards the will refuse to help if you are overclocking at any price range with gigabyte overclocking features, even when they advertize a overclocking bard. I checked in to this deeply, good to know the difference between the two companies.

So far while calling Asus, Overclocking has not been a question that I have had to address. If I asked why can't my processor hit 5GHZ, Its your fault!!! Then I could understand. But I just told them that different settings for the RAM work and other settings don't. I should be able to run my RAM at 1600. If I use 160 Bclk 2:10, stock Volts I can get 1600 it will show 8GB of RAM. But if I use 200 Bclk 2:8, stock volts it will only show 4GB of RAM. But every once in a while it will boot and show 8GB. It is definitely a glitch.

The other problem I am having is in the previous bios, every once in a while when I BSOD while overclocking, the IMC resets to 1.113V. Its the only Bios setting that reverts.

Another issue I am having is 2 of the last 4 Bios revisions, Sleep Mode does not work.

I suspect that about 90% of the problems are programming related, but I think they might have a hardware problem, especially with GSkill RAM. I know for a fact that over tightening your heat sink can cause issues as well. Also having your DRAM Vcore and IMC set more than 0.5V apart can cause problems.

Asus has a problem on their hand, and I am sure they are working on it. The P55 chipset is what, about 7 months old now? They need to start saving face.

Gigabyte does not want to hear anything other than stock settings. If you have a overclocking defect in bios or the board, they will not help or RMA with anything other than stock settings. If your RMA the board they will only be tested at stock settings, so if it wont overclock 1mhz higher than stock speed, they don't care your stuck with that board.

Asus sounds allot better with the ovclocking support.:rock:

I am not sure if that only applies to the R.O.G. Boards. But when I told them I was overclocking, they directed me to their R.O.G. Technicians. So not sure how they do business, but it did not appear to be an issue for them. I just told him that I coudln't use 200 Bclk with my RAM set at 1600MHz (stock speed) and still be able to see 8GB. I don't really see where that is overclocking. If I use a multi of 14 X 200 Bclk, then that is considered stock speed. But not default settings. So technically I am not overclocking.

I think with the current state of hardware manufacturers and consumers have some grey area to contend with. If they are going to make options changeable, then they are condoning overclocking, They also include Overclocking software, they are condoning overclocking this way as well. Intel includes Turbo Boost and the motherboard manufactuerers accept this and produce boards for it. To me its all a sham. As far as I am concerned as long as I haven't physically abused the board, then they need to fix what is not working. Hell, they sell motherboards that are buggy and not working half the time anyways.

Back