• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System let me hear it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hackintosh

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say I wish I had found this forum a little earlier when I was building my setup.
The setup I built was put together off what I learned from looking around and reading what I could, but for some stupid reason I never actually came into the watercooling section of this site and read around. Mostly I just read threads off google like I said.

That being said I would really like to say thanks to Nathan at KOOLERTEK for helping me as much as he did, and he also had better prices than any of the sites that I checked. When I was placing my order I had ordered some things I thought I needed and the next day Nathan sent me an email telling me I had ordered some incorrect parts, and that I didnt need as many fittings as I ordered. So he ended up losing out on about 60 dollars worth of stuff, which I am sure if I had ordered from some of the bigger sites I would just have an extra pile of parts. I just wanted to make sure to say that he had awesome customer service and that I would highly, highly recommend him to anyone.

With all of that out of the way here is my system which I am still waiting on my gpu cooler, and my chipset cooler which I had to custom order from germany

Asus z8na-d6
Xeon Nehlaem 2.26 x 2
24gb ddr3 patriot memory (long story why I have 24)
corsair hx1000w psu
nvidia geforce 9800gtx+
wd 1tb HDD x2
kingston 128gb v-series SSD x2
Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z

Watercooling

Swiftech Apogee XT x2
Swiftech MCP-655
HW Labs Xtreme II radiator
Feser tubing app 6ft
Dual 5.25 clear Res
Feser Fluid

waiting on
ekgpu block
custom chipset block from liquid ecstasy

I am using istat to monitor temp
and when I started I had two aero cool fans on the radiator and my idle temps were around 39c which I partially blame on forgetting to use the correct thermal paste, and for watercooling I wasnt pleased.
So I added two more fans to the radiator so I have two pushing and two pulling and my idle temps dropped 7-9c on every core :attn:

I am waiting on some nozzles to install my flow/fluid temp monitor because I am worried about flow rate with the apogee blocks and the gpu and chipset being added in and am planning on a second loop

anyway, ignore the mess for now everything will be moved/cleaned up. But I have a job that I needed my computer running in a day so I had to through it together as quickly as possible until I have some free time to clean it up.

anywho, if you see any big errors or mistakes feel free to let me know, I have pretty thick skin after a couple years in the military

Attachments

• DSC01824.JPG
    DSC01824.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC01828.JPG
    DSC01828.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Tellme more about your choice of radiator. You say xx rad, but no mention of size. Might be too small. I can say probably so. But need to hear more.

Why Feser fluid and not a cheap and BETTER liquid? Sorry you haven't had the time to read many threads since your new. I fill my loop with distilled water and a few drops of PHN PT-Nuke at ohh $.050. It's better performing and about 2000% cheaper than that fun marketing stuff that ebveryone sells.

bought the fluid because like I said, I wasnt well informed and when I was reading everyone was saying things like oh you need this and this in your water to keep it clean and keep alge etc.

not sure what info you are looking for on the radiator but here is what I found

Double Row 240 mm (9.44 inch) Copper core consisting of flat tubes for maximum heat conductivity

lol the ssds are temp because I am waiting on 2 more and then I have 2 mounts to install all 4 in a 3.5 drive.

The case is designed for them to sit where the pump is so I had to move them until I had some time to finish the case up which has a lot of work left.

Radiator is being moved to the front of the case, where the front fan is and all the tubing will run under the 3.5 drive area (under where the ssds are)
and since Im waiting on the chipset cooler from germany and the gpu cooler I figured no reason to seath all the wires yet

Youu need more Rad for cooling 2 CPU / GPU / Chipset.

But nice looking build. What is this used for ?

I am looking to add another rad, and Nathan from koolertek said just with adding the other blocks that I would need another pump because the apogee blocks are very restricting running one, but with two cpu blocks, a chipset block, gpu block, and two rads I would def need another pump so I am trying to figure out how to make it all fit.

This system is used for tons of video rendering/editing and photo editing. Thats why I went dual cpu instead of overclocking one.
I can designate one cpu to render video which kills my friends overclocked 930 (rendering multiple videos at one up to 15 at a time) This way I can still edit photos or video and have video rendering.

With two rads and all those blocks what is a flow rate I should be looking for? I have read around but I get a lot of mixed messages because everyone seems to have an opinion and not many of them match up. I just want to make sure I am not going to kill a pump, and that I am getting good cooling out of the system.

Thats what im using :

SRY about the rest of the mess ;) Its a behind the scene pics ;)
TecnofrontHWD036.JPG

I got the 1k to make sure I would never have a problem. Better safe than sorry, and that one 9800 is turning into two 9800's here shortly so I can support 4 monitors. I would use a cheaper card but it took me almost a day to get the correct drivers for that card to work with the apple software so I am going with another one to keep things simple.
Im not a gamer at all, I play CS occasionally but thats about it.

run 2 d5 in raid 0 it will have enough flow add an 120.3 or 120.4 (swiftech to save money or XSPC 360 RX and u will be good.

when you say in raid0 what are you referring to?
and 120.3/120.4 the same lol. Sorry like I said im not very tech savy.
everything I have done was self taught and this was my first computer build and obviously my first watercooling experience

You could have saved at least $150 by purchasing a PSU that would have ' better safe than sorry' for the build (Corsair 650/750TX) even with two 9800gtx+'s. But all in all, thats a nice box man! :)

I think that guy is trying to be funny when he was mentioning your pumps in Raid0. He just meant in parallel I believe.

I kind of figured that's what he was getting at. But I have learned before that when you assume you make an "*** of u and me"

I thought thats how your pumps were running but being color deficient and all the black tubing and black pumps made it hard to see.

So I would be better off running two pumps like that than pump rad cpu's pump rad chipset gpu res pump?

so running two pumps is a bad idea, I should just stick with one?
I was afraid of that being to much strain on one pump especially once I add two more blocks and another rad to the loop.

also, what is a good flow rate to look for? I would think a slower flow rate would be good because it would allow the coolant longer in the radiator, and allow the fluid to cool the cpus a little better.

Running 2 pump isnt bad. Just use 2 identical pump.

Im running 2 MCP655 in series but in my case its mostly for safety and not for keeping the flow OK since i only have 2 block on the loop.

oh yea thats my plan if I do, run a second mcp655. I am really really happy with the pump btw incredibly quite. I didnt even know it was on the first time I turned it on, and with red tubing I couldnt tell if fluid was moving so I was a little afraid the pump wasnt working at first lol

Back