• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-X58A-UDP7... Doesn't this look exaggerated?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Douken

20100413094455_IMG_0364%20copy.jpg

What use could you give to 7 PCI-e slots? :shrug: ? Don't you need PCI slots anymore?:shrug:

The thing even uses double 8-pin PSU CPU connector and if that's not enough even a molex in the other side plus the 24-pin connector.

Last edited:
That's the new trend :rolleyes:

MSI XPower Big Bang
02976538.jpg

Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
r3e2d.png

eVGA 4-way SLI Classified
4wayclassy21.jpg

maybe a nice new trend, but you can only fit the crappy single slot GFX cards in each slot due to the spacing between them, I have the same problem with my UD3R, the ANUS Rampage III is the only board with decent spacing, but the problem with thier layout is if you use slot 3 you loose the use of the PCI slot.

Overkill? EXCESSIVE?! No, my friend.

I'd get that board, put 7 of these puppies in it for a total of 168 ports. Then I'd get 168 of these guys for a total of 168tb of storage of SSD. Comes out to a cool $538,685.

That board isn't overkill, I'm overkill.

---------

But seriously. Moving to PCI-e is going to be a good thing. Yes, a lot of devices don't need that kind of bandwidth, but it should simplify the board's layout. I'd love to be able to re-arrange any of my cards in any slot. I hate being stuck with a single PCI slot for my sound card that is either stuck above my video (hot) or just below it (hot).

What use could you give to 7 PCI-e slots? :shrug: ? Don't you need PCI slots anymore?:shrug:

Folding with 7 single slot gpus? Using lots of addon cards because PCIeX is faster than basic PCI?

I personally have not used a regular PCI card in close to 7 years. I don't own an aftermarket sound card. Even then you can get them in PCIeX format. A PCIeX 1-8x card should fit in a 16x slot without any problems. So, I can absolutely see a properly built machine not needing PCI slots anymore.

Overkill? EXCESSIVE?! No, my friend.

I'd get that board, put 7 of these puppies in it for a total of 168 ports. Then I'd get 168 of these guys for a total of 168tb of storage of SSD. Comes out to a cool $538,685.

That board isn't overkill, I'm overkill.

---------

But seriously. Moving to PCI-e is going to be a good thing. Yes, a lot of devices don't need that kind of bandwidth, but it should simplify the board's layout. I'd love to be able to re-arrange any of my cards in any slot. I hate being stuck with a single PCI slot for my sound card that is either stuck above my video (hot) or just below it (hot).

LMAO, :beer: I would love to see the Disk benchmark on that baby :clap:

Just one question, Whats the difference between the Gigabyte 7 and the 9 ?

Folding with 7 single slot gpus? Using lots of addon cards because PCIeX is faster than basic PCI?

I personally have not used a regular PCI card in close to 7 years. I don't own an aftermarket sound card. Even then you can get them in PCIeX format. A PCIeX 1-8x card should fit in a 16x slot without any problems. So, I can absolutely see a properly built machine not needing PCI slots anymore.

Nah, I do use PCI, there are many Tv cards, sound cards, network cards, and a lot of other random stuff that's PCI. I wouldn't buy a mobo without a PCI slot, it's too much of a sacrifice for me. I see a PCI-e x16 and I auto think of a video card, for me 1 video card is more than enough, so I don't see the need for that many PCI-e slots. Maybe in a few years where PCI-e SSD & PCI-e x1,x4 gets mainstream I'll see a purpose for that many slots.

Any PCI-e x16 slot will run at x1, x4, x8, and x16 speeds, the speed is dependant on the card that you are sticking in the slot, if you have ever noticed the Gold contacts on a GFX card fill the whole slot, whereas the Gold contacts on a PCI-e x1 soundcard or network card will only fill the first few contacts of the slot.

Please dont mix this up the other way around though, you can not put a 16x card in a 1x slot, reguardless of how good your dremel is.

I agree with the other guys that it does look impressive and very clean and tidy, and lets face it, any 3rd party / add-on card you want or need now a days, wether it be TV, Sound or WLAN, with a little bit of hunting around, you can buy in PCI-e configurations.

Last edited:
UD9 has the nForce 200 bridge chips

4 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2/PCIEX16_3/PCIEX16_4) (Note 2)
3 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2/PCIEX8_3) (Note 3) (All PCI Express slots conform to the PCI Express 2.0)

Back