• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to fry the PCI-E Bus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeepguy_1980

Please don't laugh at my story.

I swapped my existing rig into my new case (Corsair 800D). I have a modular power supply and due to some hurried assembly and poor color coordination on behalf of Thermaltake (PSU brand), I plugged my video card into the 4 pin power supply port, vice the 6 pin PCI-E power ports. Now the computer will not boot with the video card plugged in. I have used a 2nd known good PSU and 2 other known good video cards and the system will not boot. With the fried video card, the system powers on for a millisecond and shuts down. With any other video card or no video card, the system powers up, but nothing is displayed on the monitor. There aren't any post beeps either.

I believe the PCi-E bus is fried. Is that possible?

Could you post your system specs please, cos now a days this all depends on which socket CPU and motherboard you are using.

If your using 1366 (x58), the PCI-e bus is in the North Bridge so you killed the board.

If it 1156 (P55 etc) then its in the CPU, so you killed your CPU.

if it 775 (x48, P45 etc) then its in the Northbridge, so once again you killed the board.

So on and so forth.........

Have you tried just simply resetting the cmos with the jumper or by removing the battery for 5 mins, when testing again I would use your known good hardware first and then see if your possible damaged hardware works afterwards.

Wether its possible to fry these busses I really dont know, ive never experienced this problem myself, I just know where the busses are located, and what is linked to what.

Attachments

• intel-x58-theme.gif
    intel-x58-theme.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Intel P55 Diagram.jpg
    Intel P55 Diagram.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Back