• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

potential build, insight please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Raven

Registered
System:
CPU: Core i7 920
Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R
Case and PSU: Antec Twelve Hundred 750
GPU: 9800 GTX+
Memory: G.SKILL 3x2GB 1600
Main HDD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB
Storage HDD: 500GB (already own)
Optical Drive: DVD Burner with LightScribe (already own)

Cooling:
Rad: MCR320-QP
Rad fans: Yate Loon 120mm D12SH12 High Speed x3 or x6
Pump: MCP655-B
Res: MCRES Micro Rev 2
CPU block: Swiftech Apogee XT
Chipset/MOSFET block: EK-FB KIT GA X58
Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue and Green
Clamps: Metal worm clamps (I think they're called?) from hardware store

Extras:
Protection: AVG Antivirus+Antispyware 9.0 2Year
Case Fans: Yate Loon 120mm D12SH-124B High Speed x3 and Cooler Master 120mm Green LED x2
Lights: Logisys 12" Dual UV Cold Cathode Kit, Logisys 8" Dual Blue Cold Cathode Kit, and Logisys 8" Dual Green Cold Cathode Kit
Wire Sleeving: OKGEAR OK430UB UV blue cable sleeving kit and green

There isn't really a set budget as of yet and this build is by no means set in stone. I don't plan to water-cool the GPU because I don't play graphics intensive games. (I'm going to be doing my compiling and possibly video rendering/compression.) I'm not sure if the PSU is enough with all the additions. I plan to build an external tower for the radiator, and possibly build a completely custom case if I get the initiative. Do I need to get barbs for any of the water cooling parts or do they all come with good enough ones? Also is that enough rad to cool both the CPU and mobo on the same loop?

Last edited:
Read my post/build log. Barbs are fine as long as you stick with standard tube to barb diameters (ie. 1/2" tubing with 1/2" barbs).

After building mine, I am definitely going with compressions fittings instead of barbs for various reasons.

The Apogee Xt comes with barbs, the radiators do not. The mcp655 pump has plastic barbs built in. Not sure about that res, but mine did not come with any fittings.

If you are going for silence, I would stay away from a 6 fan push/pull setup, but some will say those low speed yates are fine in push pull. Silence is subjective...

*Edit: That PSU will handle this setup just fine with some headroom to spare.

Read my post/build log. Barbs are fine as long as you stick with standard tube to barb diameters (ie. 1/2" tubing with 1/2" barbs).

After building mine, I am definitely going with compressions fittings instead of barbs for various reasons.

The Apogee Xt comes with barbs, the radiators do not. The mcp655 pump has plastic barbs built in. Not sure about that res, but mine did not come with any fittings.

If you are going for silence, I would stay away from a 6 fan push/pull setup, but some will say those low speed yates are fine in push pull. Silence is subjective...

I'm probably going to go for 3 yates high speed for pull. I'll most likely usually have music playing so quietness isn't a major factor for me. Just curious, why are you going for compression fittings?

Roger that... For some reason I thought you were going for silence. 3x3 for push pull will do you well. Go to skinee labs and look at his triple radiator shootout. Follow the heat curve. Your i7 will do fine with a 3.120 radiator even with just 3 med. fans in push. You will get a small bump with the push/pull though. For me, the gains aren't worth the bulk and noise.

Why am I switching to comp. fittings? heh... After working on my build all day, let me just say they would have been a god send. Re-routing tubing or even just slightly adjusting it unscrewed my barbs. Has to do with my 7/16" tubing over the 1/2" barb, but comp. fittings would have been WAY more convenient even if I went with a more standard setup.

With comp. fitting you don't have to mess with worm clamps or prying tube off when you adjust or do maintenance.

I'm probably going to go for 3 yates high speed for pull. I'll most likely usually have music playing so quietness isn't a major factor for me. Just curious, why are you going for compression fittings?

Roger that... For some reason I thought you were going for silence. 3x3 for push pull will do you well. Go to skinee labs and look at his triple radiator shootout. Follow the heat curve. Your i7 will do fine with a 3.120 radiator even with just 3 med. fans in push. You will get a small bump with the push/pull though. For me, the gains aren't worth the bulk and noise.

Why am I switching to comp. fittings? heh... After working on my build all day, let me just say they would have been a god send. Re-routing tubing or even just slightly adjusting it unscrewed my barbs. Has to do with my 7/16" tubing over the 1/2" barb, but comp. fittings would have been WAY more convenient even if I went with a more standard setup.

With comp. fitting you don't have to mess with worm clamps or prying tube off when you adjust or do maintenance.

I think worm clamps have a nice retro look to them, you know?
Also I wish I could get output data for the mobo to be sure there's enough cooling. I could probably go for 2x 220 or 320 and run it quieter, but that would run me more money.

Search around on here, especially this: http://www.overclockerstech.com/water-cooling-guide-for-beginners/

I know I've seen on here about mosfets and how much heat they output.
I hate worm clamps on a computer setup, but that's just me! hah

If you are going to overclock the i7 and cool the chipset, it may be wise to go with a 4.120 radiator.

A 4.120 seems like it would be too tall, even if I am keeping it external. I might stack two MCR320s and put fans on all three sides or put them side-by-side with push/pull and make a base for the whole set-up that screws into the fan holes or something. Man there's so many different ways you can do these things.

7/16" ID on a 1/2 inch barb is a pain. 1/2 ID is a minor bother. You don't have to cut the hose or cuss like a sailor. I reused my tubing on my barbs and was very pleased.

Having a barb unscrew is a thing we deal with. It's rare, but all the cussin and twisting turning the 7/16" tubing off a 1/2" barb doesn't help, LOL.

I been at this a few years. I'm not into bling. Barbs have served me fine on my first and my last build and my new upgrade forthcoming.

I like compressions, they look good. I just don't need em.

Other than getting barbs for the radiator, do I need to get them for anything else or does everything else come with good stock ones?

That's what I had in mind when asking that, thanks for confirming. Also, would the MCP355 be enough to run that loop or is the price difference not enough to consider it if real estate isn't an issue?

Yea, fine but you should get an XSPC restop and drop the micro res, it's so much cleaner looking. You also get better flow and head pressure. Read up on the 355 tops at Martins. And a 355 is 3/8" ID hose, you need a new top for 1/2" ID anyway.

Back