• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New toys, waiting for the right blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

Yep, I did toast a GTX280 by plugging the PCI connector into the 12 VDC mobo output on my PC. Been crashing etc, got verification that yep, I screwed up. Luckily there is a Frys store in Vegas. They had magic in stock. Just waiting for the right FC GPU blocks now.

Got 3 of these neat t-shirts from the XS party in Vegas during CES, thought it was fitting for the pic.

470640x480.jpg

I have to say finding fried cards is not a good feeling. Once during a storm there was a power surge that fried my video card, the same week my warranty ended no less! Although its not so bad when it means you get to go shopping for new toys =D

Why would that be an issue? Maybe he made a mistake? Or he was asked to fix it and refused, I dunno. It's just a sig. I posted asking him to fix it because he had PMs off and never got a reply, wasn't a big deal, I didn't report him or anything.. Ahh well gone now.

Nice cards.That sucks about your 280, you sure that wasn't a subconscious thing.

LOL, yea, was gonna upgrade later this summer, maybe waiting for the die shrink. One of our experts said if your watercooling, then thats not an issue, but non standard blocks could mess you up.

The new PSU issue was a foolish foolish mistake. I been at this a longgg time and couldn't believe it.

Ahh well, gonna put them up for sale, gonna be cheap too considering one of the cards is glitchy. Of course the waterblocks go with them, maybe someone has a 280 air cooled and wants to make the big leap.

Hey it happens to the best of us. I did something similar to an old video card a couple months ago. Although what I did was totally my fault, should've known better. I was swapping gpu blocks between machines and I needed to boot
the computer without a gpu block and I didn't have the factory cooler so I figured I could glue a heatsink onto a 7900GS and that would cool it enough to do a quick boot and shutdown. I was wrong, I let the smoke out of that gpu.

On the bright side, at least you had no problems with the warranty on your old psu.

Actually didn't hurt the PSU. I had RMAed my first Ultra 3x 1000W for the fan getting noisy. New PSU is much better, the messup didn't hurt it at all. Thats why I made the mistake, swapping PSUs. The new PSU is much quieter.

Yeah, I was refering to your old noisy psu that you rma'ed and talked about in another thread. You gotta love a company that honors their warranty in a timely manor.

I do, in fact two. Both sleep closely with DD Tieton blocks snuggled up. One card is great, the other works, but id troublesome, it locks up once and a while. I broke it.

Okay update, ran the one 470 for a few days, looked good, slapped the other one in.

WOW! ATI is so lost with no tesselation, it's soo real. Anyway, some numbers and xpaosted in the Nvidia forum here.

Just a tidbit, I'm not a bencher etc. You can see my rig in my sig.

I had two GTX 280s, upgraded to 470's

Unfortunately I don't have any 280 SLI benchmarks, no biggie to me.

Anyway, here are two benchmarks.

One 470 Two 470 SLI

3Dmark, basic settings, freeware run.
SM2 8219 8190
SM3 10185 11790
CPU 5861 5814
21192 22547

The big diff is in the Unigine Heaven benchmark, amazing!

4x anti aliasing on both single and SLI

21.1 61.3
80.7 154.3
7.0 27.5 WOW!!
69.7 134.4

Both GPUs got hot, but were fine, under specs. I will say DX 11 and tessilation is just amazing. Getting close to photo realistic, up to the programmers now.......

Back