• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smooth 90-degree connections?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I'm going to be redoing my water loop (for the third time in a few months :eek: ) for hopefully the very last time and am looking for some 90-degree connectors (male to male) that have a smooth radius. All I can find are the sharp bend types and these are going to be at both the intake and outlet of the rad near the top of the case.

The elbow is what I'm looking for (I should have said male barb to male barb), but none of those look "smooth", but instead appear to have the usual abrupt 90 change of direction. I'm looking for a more smoother curve, kinda like a 90-degree plumping/pvc pipe would have.

I bet a plumber would gave one og at home depo or some like that
It also will depend of what size tubing your using i would guess

Again, male barb to male barb. I cannot use threaded fittings for these connections.

And its going to be used with 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) tubing. If I was using smaller tubing, I wouldn't even need the 90-degree elbows, but because of the larger tubing, elbows it must be.

Ohh, you put the barbs on it, you can buy a 90 rotary female/female I think, or buy a female/female adaptor.

I think Performance PCs has more BP stuff than anyone else. Just mix and match you'll figure it out.

I'm not going to mix and match because all you're doing is creating more points of possible failures where leaks can occur, and I'm going to have 3 of these directly atop the PSU, in a computer that many times is on while I'm away for hours at a time in a room that is locked and not easily accessible by others.

Please, all I'm looking for is a one piece (figured I'd add that in now just to make things even MORE clearer...), smooth bend 90-degree elbows with male barbs on both ends to join 1/2" ID tubing. I know full well there are other options and methods available for creating one, but the simplest form is what I require. I have already checked Frozen, Sidewinder, PerformancePC, Koolertek, and Petras for such an item, as well as doing the usual Google searches, but all they carry and all I can find is the usual sharp bend 90-degree elbows, or elbows meant for attaching directly to a threaded port (or accepting a threaded part). If no one knows of any one piece smooth 90-degree elbows with male barbs on both ends to join 1/2" ID tubing, I'll just go with the normal sharp bend 90-degree ones.

[edit]Just to clear things up even further:

44001_110906i.jpg

This is what I'm referring to when I speak about a "smooth bend 90-degree elbow". Of course, I need a one piece smooth 90-degree elbows with male barbs on both ends to join 1/2" ID tubing. [/edit]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure home depot would have something you could use
I would check out the plumbingsection there
Also you could get a piece of copperpipe and just bend it to whatever angle you would need
You just have to be a bit careful when bending a copperpipe or it will end up in a flat bend

I would think at 90* nothing will be smooth. A 45* might help but have you considered just using a good flexible tubing? I wrapped zip ties around the tubing in between my two graphics cards in my last setup and it worked fine. The bend was pretty much a tube edge to tube edge bend and the zip ties kept everything round. I attached the tubing and installed everything then pulled the zip ties as tight as I could around the tube at the bend. I probably had 10-15 in a 2 inch piece of tubing all right at the bend. It kept them nice and round.

If I can find some pics of my old one I will post them for you to check out.

What you seek does not exist. A member of XtremSystems forum used to make custom barbed elbows. See this post for pics.

that's what i would do, get a 1/2" elbow and 2x 1" to 1.5" of copper tubing and solder or braze them into the elbow and cut some groves into the ends for grip.

What you seek does not exist. A member of XtremSystems forum used to make custom barbed elbows. See this post for pics.

Did he change them out or just paint them? They look like PVC now...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3095187&postcount=276

EDIT: Sweet looking rig regardless. Too flashy and not functional for my tastes (I dont have a rig sit in the same configuration for more than a month let alone a couple of years which is what you would want with a rig that looks that good ;))

Last edited:
Those fittings in both pictures are simple 1/2 ID pipe tubing used in plumbing water lines in a hose. A smaller size than normal. I used some just like it, just not as shiny. All I had to do was go to my local hardware store.

I used two of them and brazed them together to make a 180 degree bend long ago on my first loop between my CPU and NB blocks. The OD of them is perfect for 1/2" ID tubing with a clamp. You need no barbs to make it work. It's a very smooth transition, amost as good as a bitspower 90 degree. But you can't put barbs on it, but you don't need to.

NekkidPCWCcopperloopresizefar.jpg

In the second Murder mod pic, I'm sure he did some filtering, he was a photo buff too.

Sorry about the bad pic, best I got, was long ago in my WC journeys.

Honestly, I don't see whats so hard about this............

Back