• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compression fittings and Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sierra Hotel

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. :attn:

I've acquired some Bitspower G1/4" Compression Fittings; ID 1/2" with OD 3/4"

The tubing I have however is Swiftech 7/16" by 3/8" tube from memory.

Are these two compatible. I know I'll have to soap up or heaten up the tube to get the tube on the compression ring; however I cant find much infrmation about users using this tubing with these fittings?

Must I go for 1/2" ID 3/8" tubing for these fittings?

Not at all. Compression fittings ID and OD must match EXACTLY with the tubing ID nad OD.

EXACTLY. You want to use the comp fittings you need to buy 1/2 3/4 tubing.

Sorry.

The G1/4 is just the thread size.........

I can fit the tube without a problem though it is tight.
I'm interested now exactly what the Swiftech barbs ID is. I assume it's 3/8".

Hmm; in theory matching tube ID to tube ID makes perfect sense to prevent flow restrictions. Guess I'll have to order some 1/2" OD 3/4"ID tubing then. Off to FrozenCPU I go..

Compression fittings MUST have the same ID and OD as the tubing. Nuff said, good luck, look at Primochill LRT, good stuff.

Can you explain why they 'must' be the same. Is this due to the compression ring, or flow factor ?

the internal diameters must match as well as the outside diameters because the locking of the tubing into the fitting is dependent on that. they are manufactured so the outer ring can push on the tubing into the inner barb and clamp it tight.

so if you put 1/2 " ID x 5/8" OD tubing with your compressions the thinner tubing won't be pushed into the inner barb to clamp it. so you could just pull it out.

Back