• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Galvanic 2 solder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

so solder is a different metal then copper, if you solder your copper don't you run the risk of galvanic corrosion there as well?

I ask because I am thinking of building an artistic radiator out of copper for fun. I don't know if it will work but I wanted to try it out just to play handyman and see. Not sure how the solder would affect cooling or corrosion. I just use dH2O and pt nuke.

I have no idea. Look up the galvanic tables, and there was a good discussion about it here a few months ago. Search for it?

I'm sure the rads are high tin content solder.

i used some 95/5 in my loop for some custom disconnects and it's been about 7-8 months now, but i haven't looked at the blocks yet. but i'm not worried at all.

I've used "adapted" radiators for years until recently, using plumbing (both low & old high lead) and silver solders. I've never had a solder joint give any sort of problem or sign of corrosion, and I have checked.
The soldering flux you may use can cause some if not removed after soldering, so just make sure that you wash all of it away with hot water and dishsoap.

Be sure to post pics of that project when done too!!!

Back