• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X58A-UD3R newbuild failed, Help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lickalone

Hi Guys, I have just built up a new Gigabyte X58A-UD3R system with all new components but I cannot get the mobo to boot.

The processor is a i7 930, with 6G Patriot 12800 Ram. a new Corsair 650W PSU, and Fenrir heatsing/Fan cooler. I am using a ATI 5770 Vid Card and a known working Seagate 7200.11 250G SATA drive with win XP pro installed.

When I try to power the Mobo, the fans spin for about 1 sec then the whole thing just switches off without going into POST.

There are a number of LED's on the mobo, and one briefly flashes red just before the whole thing grinds to a halt. The LED is one for the southbridge overvoltage i think.

The system cycles around every few seconds trying to reboot itself all the time until I switchoff the PSU.

Can anyone help me with this problem.

i recently did a rma of the same model board with gigabyte for the same reason. mine crapped out after about 5 weeks though. it always had a few failed post attempts before success, and then one day the leds would light but no post. replaced it with an evga which posts almost instantaneously everytime it is powered on.

this leaves me wondering if the problem is related to the new sata and usb ports that gigabyte is using with their boards. i didnt use either because i have no usb3 or sata6Gbs devices.

it may be your psu, like the previous poster said. only way to locate the failed hardware is to test it. corsair has a reputation for making a good psu.

+1 on the PSU issue.

dont know what it is with PSU's latley but their seems to be alot of imcompatabilities between motherboards and PSU's now a days, something to do with the rails from the PSU, my ex-foxconn bloodrage x58 board was well fuzzy about which one you used with it.

I not too sure its a power supply issue, even though it goes on for a brief moment.

I would remove everything except video card, and one RAM stick.

Remove the HD DVD, all the fans, except CPU fan. Also make sure your 4 / 8 pin CPU power is connected...

Sounds like a short, rather than a bad PS.

That Corsair 650 will work fine with that setup.

You might want to give this thread a read

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply's guys.
I have now tried another PSU in the system, a 700W brand new unit that the local shop let me borrow for sale or return.

The exact same issue was presented. The mobo ran for about 1 sec then the PSU folded back and the LED's died with a quick flash red from the Southbridge overvoltage LED.

Can I confirm with someone on here that I have the minimum necessary components on the mobo. I have added the CPU, 3 sticks of Patriot 2Gb memory in slots 1,3,5. The CPU fan is connected, although I have now temporarily removed the Fenrir CPU heatsink. I am connecting the main board Power cable and the 8pin ATX 12v cable. I have been connecting the Video card, but is this essential until I can get to POST? I also connected the power switch, and other front connectors ie. HDD LED, Reset Sw, Speaker lead etc. I am beginning to suspect a short cct somewhere.

I bought the mobo and the CPU from overclockers.co.uk and am on the verge of returning the items to them with a request to have the mobo replaced.

I am not exactly a novice at building my own machine as I have been doing so since the days of the 486 processors, but I have been using AMD CPU's for the last few years. This is my first Pentium system for a while but I am a little dissappointed with my experiance so far.

Last edited:
I would remove the mobo and make sure you did not add an extra mounting post. I know its a pain, but if that's the problem you'll never know if if you don't check. Most common problem.

The mobo has already been removed from the case, once I found it did not work in the original build, and was mostly tested on a formica (ie. insulated) table.

This still leaves me with the conclusion I have a fault on the mobo.

I appreciate your help joeteck, I will return the board to the supplier, and update the thread once I have a conclusion.

gigabyte x58 motherboards have reputation for being defective and gigabyte customer service will tell you that defects are normal. get rid of it and buy a different brand.

+1 I see allot of problem x58 motherboard from Gigabyte lately all over the net.:rain:

Finally Gigabyte has admitted the noise issue LINK:http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1426.msg8914.html#msg8914

Good news everyone - after a few days of communicating with the Gigabyte warranty manager in Australia (who was extremely helpful), I can now say that Gigabyte is working on a fix to solve this noise problem.

When I brought my UD3R motherboard in 3 days ago for them to examine, Gigabyte staff finally confirmed that they could hear the noise.

Apparently, it was the first time that Gigabyte staff heard the noise coming from a X58A. In the past, people have RMA'd their noisy X58A motherboards, but Gigabyte staff could not hear the noise, because of 3 factors:
1) The technicians work in a room that is quite noisy, there are fans etc on all the time. Even I had a hard time hearing the noise when I was in their testing room. We had to put our ears right next to the area that was making the noise, in order to hear it. So it would have been easy for the technicians to miss the noise.
2) Some people simply cannot hear high-pitch noises well. Apparently the technicians in general are unlikely to hear high-pitch noises, because they have been exposed to noise all the time in their work environment, which makes them less likely to notice soft noises coming from a motherboard.
3) Gigabyte uses Windows Vista to test their motherboards, not the latest OS Windows 7. It could be that the noise only occurs when running certain operating systems, and not when running Windows Vista.

Since the noise problem is now officially confirmed by Gigabyte, the research department in Gigabyte headquarters has been informed about the problem. Apparently the research team thinks that they can fix the noise, by tweaking the BIOS of the motherboards.

I've been told that Gigabyte will be working on a BIOS update to fix the noise problem on the UD3R Revision 1.0 first, then the UD7. These BIOS updates could be ready by next week. They will then gradually fix the BIOS of the remaining X58A motherboards.

Personally, I am not sure whether a BIOS update can fix this noise problem. From what I can see, it is a hardware issue - the chokes (black cubes near the CPU slot) vibrate when there are fluctuations in the CPU voltage, and the vibrations give off the noise. I'd be interested to see how a BIOS update can stop the vibrations from happening, without disrupting the efficient power management of the i7 CPU.

But at least we now know that Gigabyte is trying to fix the problem.

Please note that I am simply passing on information I got from discussions with Gigabyte, since there are many people out there who (like me) are upset by the noise, and would like to know any information about a possible fix. There is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed, until we see the BIOS updates and test them out. But at least there is some hope, for now.

Last edited:
hmm

i have the same board. check the cpu socket for bent pins, i had 3 and it wouldnt post. i rma'ed mine to gigabyte UK. they were really quick, and i had a working board back inside 5 working days. i would check youve not got some bent pins. also reset your cmos, incase the settings are screwed and overvolting something.

When I try to power the Mobo, the fans spin for about 1 sec then the whole thing just switches off without going into POST.

This reminds me of an occurence several years ago- I just set up a board, was using a high end HSF and the fan I was using plugged into a 12V 4 pin molex connector. Long story short- I had to have a fan connected to the CPU fan pinout, then get into the BIOS to disable(I forget) some fan setting. Once done, I could go back to the molex fan connection.

Back