• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New w/c loop, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diablo2424

Registered
Hello, I'm pretty new here at Overclockers.com, mainly I just like to read everyone else' posts... Anyway, this is my second time water cooling and I would like some input on the parts I'm getting ready to order, just to make sure it's all good.

First the system specs are as follows:
Antec 1200 Full Tower
Antec Earth Watts 750 PSU
AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition or Phenom II x4 955 BE (still deciding on which to order)
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
2x2GB Corsair XMS DDR2
2xnVidia GeForce 8600GTS SLI
1TB SATA HDD
SATA DVD-RW

Now for the water cooling parts I've picked out (Thanks to all the great info posted on this forum!):

I plan on getting everything in the picture below, as well as (what's not listed there)

Distilled Water + Silver KillCoil

Tecnofront AirBox 360 - Acrylic

iandh Stealth Res. 225

performancepcwccompress.jpg

Just as an FYI the system specs are what they are because all but the, CPU, PSU and Case, were given to me from my older brother who upgraded to an AM3 system... so since they were free I plan on just using them as-is. This system will mostly be used just as a toy system to play around with, I would like to O/C it as much as possible. I won't be gaming so an upgrade on the Vid cards isn't necessary, since I know most people will suggest that.

Thanks in adv.!

Last edited:
Just as an FYI the system specs are what they are because all but the, CPU, PSU and Case, were given to me from my older brother who upgraded to an AM3 system... so since they were free I plan on just using them as-is. This system will mostly be used just as a toy system to play around with, I would like to O/C it as much as possible. I won't be gaming so an upgrade on the Vid cards isn't necessary, since I know most people will suggest that.

Thanks in adv.!

:welcome:

not sure on the cooling side of things,

there's a few folks here much more experienced at this than me :drool:
but for a non-gamer Rig that sounds like it'll be fun to play around without too much risk.. have fun.

is the system built and running on AIR yet ? any idea on your current temps and ambient temps ?

give yourself a goal say, I want to drop from 60 degrees CPU temp to 40 degrees .. in a room thats say 30 degrees ( yes I know .. thats quite warm.. just have a goal in mind) makes it easier to advise on what kit will work.

also , what budget ?

and do you want Super cool + noisy or really cool + quiet or quite cool but SILENT ?

see ya

:welcome:

not sure on the cooling side of things,

there's a few folks here much more experienced at this than me :drool:
but for a non-gamer Rig that sounds like it'll be fun to play around without too much risk.. have fun.

is the system built and running on AIR yet ? any idea on your current temps and ambient temps ?

give yourself a goal say, I want to drop from 60 degrees CPU temp to 40 degrees .. in a room thats say 30 degrees ( yes I know .. thats quite warm.. just have a goal in mind) makes it easier to advise on what kit will work.

also , what budget ?

and do you want Super cool + noisy or really cool + quiet or quite cool but SILENT ?

see ya

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! :)

I actually haven't ordered the Phenom II yet (waiting on funds), so currently I have the CPU my brother gave me which is a AMD Athlon II x2 4200+ (Hence the upgrade, lol)... he ran this system on Air with some Copper heatpipe cooler that he gave me (no box so I don't know the brand/model).. I JUST got my case, PSU, HDD and DVD-RW for this system over the past few days, so I haven't put it together on air yet... but do plan on doing that soon.

Ambient temps will be around 68-74 deg F (~20-23 C)... that's usually where my g/f and I keep the temperature in the house. Once I get it running on air I'll have to check my temps and set up my goal, that's a great idea, thanks!

What program is good for getting tempature's in windows? The last time I was really into O/C'ing and water cooling, was when I had my Athlon 1333 (Socket A I believe) and I was running Win 2K Pro...lol back then I used to use this program called Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)... is that even still around? Does it work with these new Motherboard's?

As for budget I'm not too worried about this, but I am trying to keep it in the $400 area, which seems to be where I am with the list of parts I have so far.

And I am def. looking for really cool + quiet... no more noisy(my last w/c setup had some crazy Sunon 120mm fan that was as loud as a Vacuum, almost Delta loud, lol)... and I def. want it to be cool, which I know isn't that possible when going silent.

have a look at Conundrums post about DT ( delta Temps I think)

there's a CPU wattage calculator that will help determine how much Radiators and fans and stuff you need,

Skinnee labs for all the reviews on the kit you wanna buy .. and have a look in here at some of the other info and experiences of folks .. I see you've done some reading and have watercooled before ... just keep yourself up to date

post some pics soon when you get started .. I like Watercooled Pr0n :)

The Phenom II is a great overclocker. I have my 955BE @ 3.9ghz right now. Haven't tried to go higher just yet, but will be aiming for 4.1-4.2ghz.

Download Coretemp and it's sidebar gadget for getting your accurate cpu temps. Great free prog.

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! :)

I actually haven't ordered the Phenom II yet (waiting on funds), so currently I have the CPU my brother gave me which is a AMD Athlon II x2 4200+ (Hence the upgrade, lol)... he ran this system on Air with some Copper heatpipe cooler that he gave me (no box so I don't know the brand/model).. I JUST got my case, PSU, HDD and DVD-RW for this system over the past few days, so I haven't put it together on air yet... but do plan on doing that soon.

Ambient temps will be around 68-74 deg F (~20-23 C)... that's usually where my g/f and I keep the temperature in the house. Once I get it running on air I'll have to check my temps and set up my goal, that's a great idea, thanks!

What program is good for getting tempature's in windows? The last time I was really into O/C'ing and water cooling, was when I had my Athlon 1333 (Socket A I believe) and I was running Win 2K Pro...lol back then I used to use this program called Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM5)... is that even still around? Does it work with these new Motherboard's?

As for budget I'm not too worried about this, but I am trying to keep it in the $400 area, which seems to be where I am with the list of parts I have so far.

And I am def. looking for really cool + quiet... no more noisy(my last w/c setup had some crazy Sunon 120mm fan that was as loud as a Vacuum, almost Delta loud, lol)... and I def. want it to be cool, which I know isn't that possible when going silent.

Cart looks good. Look into the Apogee Xt cpu block and the swiftech MCR rads. Save some cash on the rads.

I would also save some money on the fans and go with Yate Loon silents or go with Medium/High speeds with a fan controller. Those scythe fans are nice, but are way over-priced in my opinion.

have a look at Conundrums post about DT ( delta Temps I think)

there's a CPU wattage calculator that will help determine how much Radiators and fans and stuff you need,

Skinnee labs for all the reviews on the kit you wanna buy .. and have a look in here at some of the other info and experiences of folks .. I see you've done some reading and have watercooled before ... just keep yourself up to date

post some pics soon when you get started .. I like Watercooled Pr0n :)

I just read through that post, VERY informative... good information I never knew... thank you!

The keeping myself up to date is the sole reason for posting this, lol. I know the basic's, just trying to figure out from all the different part options that are out there, which are best.

Last time I w/c'ed my old Athlon I had an old Swiftech block (it was that or DangerDen which I couldn't afford at the time, no other options), a heatercore from a junk yard with the tubing modded down, I started with a bilge pump sitting in a tupperware of water, then moved on to a viaAqua fish tank pump, with a metal container as the res... there weren't many options then.. lol and the stuff I had was all recommended by what everyone on the forums were talking about/doing.

Yess, I will def. post pics... as soon as I figure out what I'm ordering and order it, I'll post box shots :) haha can't wait! w/c pr0n is awesome! (Speaking of, is there a w/c gallery on this forum? I can't find the thread if there is, link please?)

Cart looks good. Look into the Apogee Xt cpu block and the swiftech MCR rads. Save some cash on the rads.

I would also save some money on the fans and go with Yate Loon silents or go with Medium/High speeds with a fan controller. Those scythe fans are nice, but are way over-priced in my opinion.

I originally was going to go for the Apogee XT, but after reading up it seems the EK cools a little better, with better flow (even though I personally like the look of the XT better)... plus the EK is cheaper for me(I need the Swiftech AMD bracket, :rolleyes:

Regarding the fans, the ones I have picked out seem to be highly recommended, and they're not costing me too much, so I'm not too worried about them. The higher RPM fans I have picked out are to replace my stock rear 120's in my case... I haven't decided on a color theme yet for the rig either, but will probably end up sticking with Black/Blue... but those stock fans are too much blue lighting for me.. my current system was all show with 2 blue Cathode's, Blue LED fans, Blue acrylic case.. it was fun when I built it 6 yrs ago and was 16, but I'm over it now... haha

The Phenom II is a great overclocker. I have my 955BE @ 3.9ghz right now. Haven't tried to go higher just yet, but will be aiming for 4.1-4.2ghz.

Download Coretemp and it's sidebar gadget for getting your accurate cpu temps. Great free prog.

That's what I'm hearing from everyone! I am prob just going to go with the x4 940BE... but still excited to push it... is your 955BE C2 or C3 stepping? I've heard the C3's are better for O/C'ing... it sounds like you have a C3 from those speeds! :drool:

Thanks for that prog! I checked it out, can't wait to build my rig (on air for now :bang head: ) install Win7 and check it out!

Last edited:
That's what I'm hearing from everyone! I am prob just going to go with the x4 940BE... but still excited to push it... is your 955BE C2 or C3 stepping? I've heard the C3's are better for O/C'ing... it sounds like you have a C3 from those speeds! :drool:

Thanks for that prog! I checked it out, can't wait to build my rig (on air for now :bang head: ) install Win7 and check it out!

It's a c2 stepping surprisingly. I was able to hit 3.7 before I even finished my water loop. Pretty easy to do. I'll send you over my setting for the different clocks when you get to that point.

the loop is SOLID! for what your cooling and great choice of parts.

only thing i would change is the block, i would opt for acetal or a metal top for the supreme HF.

and one more thing, the compressions listed only mention 1/2" ID, i'm assuming it's 3/4" OD?

It's a c2 stepping surprisingly. I was able to hit 3.7 before I even finished my water loop. Pretty easy to do. I'll send you over my setting for the different clocks when you get to that point.

Wow, that's awesome! That would be sweet if you could send that to me... I'll keep everyone updated with the progress.. thanks!

the loop is SOLID! for what your cooling and great choice of parts.

only thing i would change is the block, i would opt for acetal or a metal top for the supreme HF.

and one more thing, the compressions listed only mention 1/2" ID, i'm assuming it's 3/4" OD?

Thanks! With all this great feedback, I think I'm going to order some (prob all) of it within the next day or so... Then once(if ever) the iandh res. comes back into stock I'll pick that up...

Yes, the compression fittings are 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD... so the tubing matches... the only thing I keep looking over is this pump.. I know there is a variable speed switch for it for an extra $15.. is that switch worth it? Is this thing that loud? That's the ONLY thing I'm not sure about at this point...

As for the EK Block I am thinking about going with the Acetal top, same price, and will keep my black look too... so in the final order that will prob be swapped out...

Hello, I'm pretty new here at Overclockers.com, mainly I just like to read everyone else' posts... Anyway, this is my second time water cooling and I would like some input on the parts I'm getting ready to order, just to make sure it's all good.

Hey, I briefly looked at this,but it looks good so far. Two things: For those fans I would suggest adding a fan controller, and you might want to add water temperature sensors to your shopping cart as well.

Yes, the compression fittings are 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD... so the tubing matches... the only thing I keep looking over is this pump.. I know there is a variable speed switch for it for an extra $15.. is that switch worth it? Is this thing that loud? That's the ONLY thing I'm not sure about at this point...

the basic is equal to the vario at setting 4, so you only get 1 setting higher and it's not a big deal. the main reason for getting a vario IMO is to help bleed a bit quicker. the pump is silent to me, i have 2 running in my loop and they are about 2 feet from my head. but then again i have 25 fans running as well.

i'm guessing your buying 2 extra compressions for what ever res you get? don't forget 2 clamps for the pump.

Hey, I briefly looked at this,but it looks good so far. Two things: For those fans I would suggest adding a fan controller, and you might want to add water temperature sensors to your shopping cart as well.

Thanks for the input.. I'm going to leave the fans full speed for now, see how I like it.. a controller isn't completely out of the picture though! As for water temp sensor, I'll hold off on one for now, but that's a good idea that I didn't even think about, thanks!

the basic is equal to the vario at setting 4, so you only get 1 setting higher and it's not a big deal. the main reason for getting a vario IMO is to help bleed a bit quicker. the pump is silent to me, i have 2 running in my loop and they are about 2 feet from my head. but then again i have 25 fans running as well.

i'm guessing your buying 2 extra compressions for what ever res you get? don't forget 2 clamps for the pump.

Ahh, finally I am able to find out the difference! lol Thanks! I'll stick with what I'm looking at then... and yes the 2 extra's compressions are for the res... and thanks on the clamps for the pumps! I totally forgot about those... and zip ties is just too risky for my liking :fight:

Soo here's the final screen shot of the cart... all that I need to get later is the res..

As long as everyone think this is a good setup, as I believe it is... I'll be ordering this within the next day or two...

Last chance to get your $0.02 in before I spend mine.. :p

Last edited:
Am I too late?
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU AREN'T GETTING RED TUBING!!!
*sigh* everyone knows red is cool!

That's a good setup. I will say I actually have had use for antikink on a couple bends. I was trying to keep the loop as short as possible. The 655 is fantastic and can push niagra falls through your comp. I just use worm gear clamps on the pump. They're just ugly as hell.
hrmm.... I wonder if you can get colored worm gear clamps? *off to the internetz!*

Am I too late?

That's a good setup. I will say I actually have had use for antikink on a couple bends. I was trying to keep the loop as short as possible. The 655 is fantastic and can push niagra falls through your comp. I just use worm gear clamps on the pump. They're just ugly as hell.
hrmm.... I wonder if you can get colored worm gear clamps? *off to the internetz!*

paint them, or you can cut the 1/2" barbs off your top and drill and tap them for G1/4 threading then use compressions.

or just get an aftermarket top, check out this new fancy clear one :)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bid5modtopv2.html

No need for anti kink unless your doing it for bling.

No idea what the airbox is, but okay.

Rest looks fine.

Anti-kink removed from cart for now... we'll see when I put it together if I need it, if so I can always get it later...

Airbox is basically a cool looking shroud... not going to lie there...

looks good, don't forget the pictures of the parts when they arrive and once built :)

here is a guide, in case you missed it, on what to do once you get the stuff.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501 - though i personally take my blocks apart to inspect for anything. (ek won't let you i don't think - warranty)

Orders Placed!! :attn: Can't wait to get the parts! Pictures are sure to be posted as soon as I get it all! I did stumble across that guide, thanks for the link though, I'll def. go through it as I'm building..

Am I too late?

lmao, actually I did go look over everything and ended up going with Primochill LRT UV Blue tubing, haha... after checking out the thread of everyone's watercooled systems over on OCN I ended up deciding on colored tubing.. UV LED's/Cathodes will follow later..

Colored worm gear clamps? what exactly are worm gear clamps? Are they those plastic hose clamps? If so, I think I saw colored ones somewhere...

Back