• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Being Throttled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ipwnnubletz

I'm new here, I just found this forum. Please go easy on me. :p

My CPU is apparently being throttled by my Asus P7P55-M motherboard. I have a Core i5 750 overclocked to 3.6GHz (200x18, 1.2v), and everything was working fine for a few days until I noticed the throttling. The multiplier goes down to 9, making the frequency 1800MHz instead of the desired 3600MHz, but just for a few seconds (5 seconds maybe), then it goes back to 3600MHz.

My temperatures are well within safe (60C running IntelBurnTest on Maximum), and C-States, C1E, Turbo and SpeedStep are all off. All powersaving features are off and I'm on the Performance preset in Windows 7's power options. I have a 700W PSU, it should be able to handle my i5 just fine. Anyone know why this is happening?

6z0kmo.png.jpg

Does the same thing happen in Prime?
Could just be the IntelBurn test requires no load at certain times.

Just as a side question: what 700w PSU have you got?

Does the same thing happen in Prime?
Could just be the IntelBurn test requires no load at certain times.

Just as a side question: what 700w PSU have you got?

Nope, it doesn't happen in Prime, only apps running LinPack. It's not that IBT requires no load, because the CPU's usage percent just goes down, and as you can see in my screenshot, the usage is 100%, but at 1800MHz.

I've got the OCZ StealthXStream 700W PSU.

Maybe just updating issues?

Monitor it in real world usage (games, video encoding or whatever you're using the pc for). If the problem still persists while those things happen then there's something up.
Until then I doubt anything's wrong with your CPU.

Your PSU isn't on the recommended list but it's not on the blacklist though. The reviews elsewhere seem alright though. The only bad thing is a possibly bad 5v rail. Even so it's a pretty standard PSU and miles better than those crappy ones that come with pre-built PCs :p

Randyman..., I'm 100% sure that I'm being throttled, why else would IntelBurnTest be reporting a lower Gflops score than when I'm not being throttled?

Ah - I missed that part (don't think you mentioned it ;) and your pic was re-sized to be almost illegible - EDIT - That was my browser doing the image re-sizing - sorry about that assumption ;) ) - but I do absolutely see CPUz indicating throttling (looks like C1E behavior) when the i7 Turbo Utility indicates a solid 22x multi the whole time with my i7 860. Just an FYI...

Also, the i7 Turbo Utility has a check box to disable C1E (seems to override BIOS!) - but it doesn't seem like that is your issue.

That is a weird one. All I can come up with is that something else is stealing cycles during the stress test. Have you ran the stress test with your Task Manager open?

:cool:

Last edited:
By default C1E is enabled in BIOS, its an energy saving function. I have mine enabled here @ work purposely. It an E4500 oced to 2.75GHz from a stock 2.2Ghz. However, @ idle is runs a mere 1.5Ghz. If you disable C1E, it will not slow down any longer.

Attachments

• E4500.jpg
    E4500.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 372
By default C1E is enabled in BIOS, its an energy saving function. I have mine enabled here @ work purposely. It an E4500 oced to 2.75GHz from a stock 2.2Ghz. However, @ idle is runs a mere 1.5Ghz. If you disable C1E, it will not slow down any longer.

I've stated multiple times already, C1E is OFF, and the CPU only throttles when it is on high load.

Back