• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leobkny

Hello,
Anyone can suggest a dual CPU system board that will allow for processor overclocking. I have a Dell T5500 with dual Xeon E5540 quad cores. The machine is running nice can't complain, but Dells hardware can't be OC'd :mad:
So i would really like to pick up an enthusiasts dual cpu board. I have a Lian Li A10 case seating in the closet doing nothing:)

Thanks.

Dual CPU boards are mainly for server's and I've never seen good oc ability in the BIOS. Servers run stock for stability, because its a server board... OCing is not a prerequisite.

Yes i have noticed that, and wanted to see if anyone knew something i didn't. Shame that no one seems to think that dual CPU would be beneficial for performance builds.

One word, Skulltrail

Dual QX9775's on a LGA771 board is the only enthusiast dual cpu platform that I can think of.

Yes i have noticed that, and wanted to see if anyone knew something i didn't. Shame that no one seems to think that dual CPU would be beneficial for performance builds.

For one, the mobo's are WAY too expensive, and two has more bells an whistles than what we ocers need. SCSI, SAS, PCI-X slots... I'd rather have a robust BIOS than all that crap. lol

SCSI, SAS, PCI-X slots... I'd rather have a robust BIOS than all that crap. lol
Whoa whoa whoa, you don't want those features? You sir, are crazy.

Either that or I am. Probably the latter.

OP: Dual socket systems are extremely expensive and very few (if any) have overclocking features. I ran a dual socket 604 Xeon system a few years back as my desktop before dual core processors came out. The board did allow overclocking, but it did really horrible at it. Not to mention the processors, motherboard and memory was ridiculously expensive. Leave server equipment to the servers unless you have a crazy amount of money to drop. If that is the case, send me one too, please? I'll help you overclock it! D:

EarthDog you're the man i can't believe i missed this.
Thank you very much.

For one, the mobo's are WAY too expensive, and two has more bells an whistles than what we ocers need. SCSI, SAS, PCI-X slots... I'd rather have a robust BIOS than all that crap. lol

OP: Dual socket systems are extremely expensive and very few (if any) have overclocking features. I ran a dual socket 604 Xeon system a few years back as my desktop before dual core processors came out. The board did allow overclocking, but it did really horrible at it. Not to mention the processors, motherboard and memory was ridiculously expensive. Leave server equipment to the servers unless you have a crazy amount of money to drop. If that is the case, send me one too, please? I'll help you overclock it! D:

I'll have to agree with Joetec, all those server add-ons are quite unnecessary in a personal system. Will just cause issues with drivers and such. The Classified SR-2 board posted below is definatly the answer, if it will work as advertized.

Not really.. Been moving away from on board SAS / SCSI RAID and going with add-in cards... PCI-X is fine, but these are mainly on server boards, and I don't buy that stuff for home use. For work, yes! And I'm not crazy....yet. Crazy would for me to get that eVGA board with two Xeons, right now...

Not so crazy if you have all of the hardware except for the board. This thing can make Xeons hummmmm.

I don't think it's crazy at all, I think this is the future fore home computing you can have 16 cores and 32 threads maybe next year.:drool:

When they achieve popularity maybe the prices will come down.

what could an average user do with that much processing power? i mean even large capacity ssd's in raid 0 would probably be a bottleneck for this scale of processing. you would have to hook up so many devices and justify running them all at once to take advantage of this with current software technology.

i sometimes feel shame that the only time i utilize all cores on my i7 cpu is during a p95 stress test. well there is a flac to mp3 converting program that uses all cores but i rarely use it.

maybe it could be put to use by going on the forums and informing others of their inferior status because thay own not what you own.

True. But i think there is a challenge to make the most of the hardware you have and just enjoying the fact that your pc can crush anything you throw at it. I don't even bother turning on hyper threading as my 8 cores mostly seat idle unless i am converting video files with handbrake. Sounds like game developers are jumping on the wagon though, and we should see some titles with multiprocessor support soon.

yeah, my core i7 system has never had a slow down yet, not once. i am better than a 2 core system owner, i am. i am.

things are gonna be alright. i can feel it.

well there is a flac to mp3 converting program that uses all cores but i rarely use it.
Is that a free program I could get for mp3 conversion, something to use all 4 cores. I mostly bought a quad for bragging rights it does nothing more than my dual core, however I would like to have a 16 core 32 threads.:cool:

Last edited:
Is that a free program I could get for mp3 conversion, something to use all 4 cores. I mostly bought a quad for bragging rights it does nothing more than my dual core, however I would like to have a 16 core 32 threads.:cool:

its called dbpoweramp.

Back