• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte support forum, get this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fundip

so i took this issue i have been having with my ga-x58a-ud3r to the gigabyte support forum. i've been going back and forth with a senior member there who goes by *****. check out what he posted in reply.

****** said:
i dont know why,maybe because the gigabyte boards are such high performing boards they need top end/quality components installed unlike other manufacturers,they use quality parts on their mb's,it doesnt matter what manufacturer you choose you will always have issues untill bios/driver updates catch up and fix things,as for psu it doesnt matter how good a brand it is it just might not hav been providing enough power to cpu? or or other part but evga board is more tollerant???idk the only way to be sure is try with another psu,same thing for ram then you will know 100% that the board is/was faulty

*my response*

"so basically what you are stating is that, "hardware incompatibility = high performance/quality", while "hardware compatibility = inferior".

or "nonfunctioning = good" and "functioning = bad". ok, makes sense.

and you say your not a fanboy.

i understand the issue with driver/bios updates, but that does not seem to be relevant in this case.

if the cpu was not getting enough power to post it is a problem with the mobo not the psu as this model mobo has this issue with a wide variety of brands of psu as evidenced by the large number of complaining users."

that is just unbelievable that someone would say that a component that fails because of so many incompatibilities means that it is high performing. this makes me wonder who is signing this guy's pay check.

this is what dealing with gigabyte customer service is like. stay away from this brand.

here is the link:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/my-turn-x58a-ud3r-first-boot-issues-39755/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I would guess that senior there, does not mean the same as a senior here. Do you know what their policy is? Post count, time?

Now, I look a good back and forth as much as the next guy, but, did either of you accomplish anything? Just sounds like his information is a little off, and then for what appears to be no to little reason, you made a thinly veiled attack on him...His last post summed it up nicely.

I havent had a problem with a gigabyte board, none of them. BUt then again, that was S775 and for some customer builds. The custo builds were lightly overclocked for testing so not too much infor there.

But umm, what does this have to do with gigabyte customer service with a random member on tweaktown forums?

sadly, what we get for way overpriced boards are beta samples. Sometimes alpha samples even. It is a shame that hardware companies have stooped this low in the last 7-10 years. I wont pay more than $300 american dollars for any board, just not worth it.

earth dog,

it seems his responses are in line with what i have gotten from gigabyte support. he is a senior member on the gigabyte support forum. although he claims he doesnt work for gigabyte, he also claims that gigabyte motherboards are higher performing than their competition. this makes me feel that either he has bought completely into gigabyte's marketing campaign or he works for the company and gets paid to post on the forum.

i do not feel my attack was veiled in anyway. he stated, in more words, that non-functioning hardware is superior to functioning hardware.

how could i not attack that?

The fanboy comment was the attack, and I guess it wasnt veiled. :p

I dont know, I just dont feel the same way you do. If I was in that conversation I would have asked/challenged him to support his claims. Do you know its not even a bit faster? I dont. But with the knowledge I have most mobo's in the same class perform in the same ballpark at least.

But again, he does not appear to be giga support. Hes just some random senior posting inside that Gigabyte Support section of the tweaktown forums. The guy posts other places in that site, which is not like most vendors posting at websites. Bad boards are bad boards, some have more than others. There may be a particular issue with these boards as you have mentioned. I have seen a lot of X58 Giga boards from specific people here need to be RMA'd as well, but those are extreme coolers so, take that for what its worth. Either way you are just guessing and insulting a normally reputable company with support I personally have had no trouble with on nothing more than speculation.

Im sorry I just dont see eye to eye with you on what happened. And lord knows, I hate misinformation and fanboys.

i am left to guess. i read statements that say these mobos fail because of hardware incompatability yet i cannot find any technical information explaining why hardware that works with other boards is incompatible with gigabyte.

until i find this information i am forced to assume that the "compatability issue" is a red herriing used to cover a defect in design.

i would be grateful to anyone who could provide some technical information explaining gigabyte incompatabilities.

i am left to guess. i read statements that say these mobos fail because of hardware incompatability yet i cannot find any technical information explaining why hardware that works with other boards is incompatible with gigabyte.
Thats a good question fundip, but is the answer really relevent to finding the solution to your issue? Is the ram and such on the compatability list? I cant see a PSU not being compatible but crazier things have happened I suppose.

Best of luck on getting this resolved though. If I was you, I would have RMA'd that board and been done with it.

i did rma it to gigabyte and they sent it right back to me and told me nothing was wrong with it.

Sorry I missed that part...:)

Did you test the other parts in another PC? Try to return the other parts? I saw you mentione dsomething about not being made out of money and all, but have you tried RMA'ing the ram or something along those lines?

All your parts you had for that board works in your current board?

i replaced the mobo with the one in my sig using all same hardware. it works perfectly, no boot loops or failed post. i am 99.999% certain the gigabyte motherboard was the failing component.

Well, you may very well be right. If I didnt test other compatible parts in it though, I wouldnt be as certain. Glad its all worked out for you though, and that sucks to have to go through that... Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I have two X58A-UD3R motherboards, and the second one I RMA'd due to the following:
RMA explanation said:
#1 memory channel is defective, I assembled the board, but am only showing 4gb RAM during POST. According to the manual you may run single channel with one DIMM in slot #1; I tested all 3 sticks in slot #1 but no boot. If I added another stick in slot 2 or 4 it would boot but only show 2gb RAM. With all 3 sticks installed in slots 1,2 and 4 only 4gb would be recognized. Other that this issue, the board runs like a champ, but I need to have all 6gb's of RAM working.

I don't recall if my RAM is specifically listed in the QVL, but the same exact brand/model works great in my other UD3R, as well as my Asrock X58 motherboards. This RMA was thru Newegg, and the replacement board did recognize all the DIMMs correctly. I suspect an 'immature' BIOS which seems to be the norm on performance boards. Several years ago I had troubles with an Asus(P5B-D I believe), BIOS revisions were being posted on the manufacturer's site just about every week. It seems common for the manufacturers to use the enthusiast community to beta test BIOS versions, rather than wait the time necessary to test in-house, and present a stable, reliable motherboard for retail consumption.

i am still very confused by this talk about incompatability. my gigabyte mobo worked for 5 weeks with boot loops sometimes. many others have had the same experience as me with different psu and ram. the only common factor is the gigabyte x58 motherboard.

if i am to buy into the incompatability theory, it is the mobo that is incompatible with good hardware and not good hardware that is incompatible with the mobo.

why would gigabyte or any other company produce a product that is incompatible with some many iterations of standardized components?

this isnt the 1970's. industry standards are established before anything is manufactured, specifically to avoid incompatibility.

I'm currently waiting on an RMA request from Gigabyte for an X58A-UD5. Had a similar problem as ihrsetrdr. BIOS RAM settings show timings for all 3 sticks(6Gb) but only displays 4 Gbs of total ram and memtest also only shows 4. W7 hardware monitor shows 6, but only 4 usable. Tested each individual stick in memtest and they all passed but the mobo will only post if the ram is in either slot 4 or 6. So far tech support has yet to offer any suggestions that I haven't thought already. I've noticed quite a few people having ram problems with these boards. Giga is releasing a Rev 2 in June that is supposed to be updating the LAN controller, on-board power switch and BIOS layout. Makes me wonder what else they might be fixing that they aren't telling us about.

Last edited:
IMO, Gigabyte has historically made very dependable, stable motherboards, more so it seems than other manufacturers. It's just been in recent times that Gbyte has been producing more OCable boards, and has thus joined-the-club, and are offering great hardware with under-developed BIOS revisions with which to run said "great hardware".

IMO, Gigabyte has historically made very dependable, stable motherboards, more so it seems than other manufacturers. It's just been in recent times that Gbyte has been producing more OCable boards, and has thus joined-the-club, and are offering great hardware with under-developed BIOS revisions with which to run said "great hardware".

is there a reason that you think it is a bios issue instead of a hardware issue?

i personally feel it is a hardware issue because gigabyte boards are less expensive than the competition which leads me to believe they use the cheapest components which may cause errors. at the same time they may be less expensive because fewer resources are put into coding the bios.

either way the end result is a defective motherboard.

I've used Gigabyte boards in quite a few builds and have always liked their quality and performance. Guess I got my hopes up given the success rate I've had, I was bound to hit a hiccup sooner than later. :) They are definitely not built with the 'cheapest' components. Any number of things could have happened in the process to cause this generally uncharacteristic spate of problems. Just sucks when you have to send a board back.

I've been lucky so far and have never had a DOA component yet :) oh, just a 2.5" HDD caddy.

Evey manafacturer has their DOA's (or just faulty) but Gigabyte is up their with Asus and EVGA in terms of quality components used.

Then why is it that i see all these post all over the internet about looping booting and squealing motherboards from Gigabyte and not Asus.:shock:

Last edited:
Then why is it that i see all these post all over the internet about looping booting and squealing mother boards from Gigabyte and not Asus.:shock:

gigabyte motherboards are the best! its the customer's fault for not researching the fact that all brands of every type of hardware are incompatible with gigabyte motherboards.

its like gigabyte support suggested to me. my motherboard that i thought was defective because it "failed" after 5 weeks really is fully operational compliant. it must be every other peice of hardware that i currently have running on my replacement motherboard that is defective. i mean even though it runs perfectly with no hiccups on an evga motherboard doesn't mean that i can trust the supposed functionality of these parts. does it?

noway, because gigabyte mother boards are papal in their infallibility. so all other hardware is the source of any problems that may arise.:fight:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back