• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with temps on i7 920 D0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cypher007

Registered
im running the rig below and seeing temps of 92c when trying to hold 4.2ghz stable using some settings i found in another thread. could it be the EK Wave block isnt upto the job? as the temp on the 8800gts 512mb reads 45-46c when its idle and the cpu is 100%, and there both in the same loop, the gfx card is after the cpu. so it doesnt seem that the water is hot from the cpu. also ive noticed the temp goes from 44c idle to 80+ in a matter of a second, when i start prime95, should it rise that quick?

I would check you pump and routing, your definitely getting to hot for water and check your fans make sure the fans pushing and pulling correctly at the radiator, if that's ok I would check your water block contact, push on it with your finger and see if your temps go down.:cool:

No sorry your EK wave is not really up for the job especially with your GFX card in the same loop, the temps you are seeing are pretty much normal for your set-up, even a newer CPU block may only shave 5oC off your load temps, your best option is too add another rad into the loop, I currently have 3 in my loop and about to add a 4th today.

yes the temps should shoot up when you launch prime, but when you stop prime they should also shoot back down again, this will tell you without removing your CPU block weather its making good contact or not.

I used to have an EK wave a while back for my Q6600 and one issue i found with it is sometimes the edge of the block would sit on the small caps around the CPU socket, just worth loosening the block so you can wiggle it slightly and make sure this isnt the case in your situation.

Last edited:
You need more rad, at least 120x4. You can increase your fan speeds for now for better temps.

Let your fans run a full speed when you're OC'ing for stability.

Edit: Your temps will go up from idle very quick when you start Prime95.

Last edited:
You either need more Rad or your CPU block is not mounted properly... i have my i7 and my 5970 in a single loop with a triple rad, my 5970 doesn't go above 45 degrees and my i7 doesn't go above 60...

Edit: 45 degrees when idle? Whoops i thot that whats load temps... Yeh you need more rad

ok

i thought if it was a rad issue i would see higher temps on the 8800, as the water from the cpu block passes by the 8800. i think maybe the block is the issue as it doesnt seem to dissipate even the idle temps much, it was running about 35c at idle when stock.

also my case wont take a bigger rad, i could probably get another 120x1 in.

I think it's your block contact two, because you said that it doesn't seem that the water is hot from the CPU and then the GFX card is after the CPU. I would defiantly check you block contact. Your rad would slowly increase in temperature if it could not handle the heat because you have to heat the liquid before the rad.

Last edited:
this is kinda difficult to explain, but it doesnt matter what you are cooling first or where your rad is in the loop etc, after 5 mins of your computer being on, your whole loops water tempurature will be the same no matter where you measure it from, your not going to have different temps of water in various different places in the loop.

i thought if it was a rad issue i would see higher temps on the 8800, as the water from the cpu block passes by the 8800. i think maybe the block is the issue as it doesnt seem to dissipate even the idle temps much, it was running about 35c at idle when stock.

also my case wont take a bigger rad, i could probably get another 120x1 in.

Check your load temps on the GPU? Idle temps don't mean much. You can lower the OC on the GPU (less heat) which may give you better temps on the CPU.

Did you try running your fans at full speed when stress testing? You said you ave them undervolted to .7v. Run them at full speed, that will help your temps for now.

A 120x2 rad with fans at ~1600rpm or more is about the smallest rad for an i7 CPU only loop for the OC's you're shooting for, a 120x3 rad is better because you can run lower fan speeds for less noise.

In your situation add the 120x1 rad with higher speed fans on both rads. For a quieter system you can put rad fans on an automatic fan controller. The fans will speed up only when water temp rises when stressing CPU/GPU.

This loop will give you the lowest water temps on your CPU block, the GPU isn't as temp sensitive.

Loop: Res--> Pump --> Rad1 --> Rad2 --> CPU --> GPU

Other than more rad this is probably your best option.

Back