• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing 980x with Rampage III?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sA x sKy

Alright, hey guys. I'm kinda new here so please bear with me.

In the next few weeks, I'll have in my hands a 980x with an Asus Rampage III. I've heard that OCing a 980x is fairly simple: just increase the multiplier until the system crashes and up the voltages accordingly. But as I've never had the experience of overclocking, I'm kind of scared, especially because everything is going to be air cooled. This is why I opted for the Rampage. I heard that the Rampage automatically OC's the processor with a simple button in the BIOS? If this is true, can anyone tell me what I have to "exactly" do?

Thanks.

This guide written by MIAHallen can get you started overclocking if you're interested in doing it manually and having your chip last much longer (life-time wise).
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

Otherwise, there is an Auto-overclock (to 3.6Ghz or 4Ghz) feature in the REIII BIOS, but I don't recommend you use it because the voltages it sets/uses are very, very high. GRANTED, I don't have experience with a Gulftown, only 960s and 920s, but I would assume the voltages are equally high for the Gulftown.

Back