• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5N-D Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeeron

Hello,

I'm new and thanks for having me.

I just finished a new build and need a little advice.

Specs:
HAF-932 case
ASUS P5N-D motherboard socket 775
INTEL Q9300 overclocked atm @ 3.06
OCZ 4 GB DDR2, 6-6-6-18 (stock)
Coolermaster TX-3 CPU cooler
2x BFG GTX275 OC
2x 500gb caviar black in RAID 0
Windows 7 64bit

My first question is does anybody make a low profile or extra skinny 90deg SATA cable? The GPU's cover most of the SATA ports and I was forced to reuse my old ide dvd-rw. I bought a blu-ray player but cannot connect it because putting more than 2 SATA cables in prevents the second GPU from seating. Or does some type of bridge or adapter/splitter exist?

My second question is regarding cpu temps across the cores. Using Real Temp my cpu temps show 51 44 51 44 while typing this. Starting Prime 95 they jump to 61 53 59 56. After stopping Prime 95 they drop back down within 30 seconds. Are these temps safe, and is such a degree of variation across the cores normal?

Thanks in advance!

that variation is somewhat normal, i wouldn't worry about it. It can be caused by a couple of things:

1. Improper seating of Heat Sink Fan, or the fact that the mobo is on it's side can sometimes release pressure on one side of the processor the tiniest bit, which seems to be the case with my cpu.

2. The sensors are only so good...

Either way don't worry about the variation.

Second, the temps seem pretty normal. My Q8200 is a pain and is only @ 2.65 atm and it runs Prime95 at ~51 C so ~60 C @ 3Ghz isn't surprising

Yes you can purchase 90 degree angle SATA cables and the temps are mixed range and normal, also low temp there is no problem there.

Thanks for the input.

I was able to solve the SATA problem by using 2 90 deg RIGHT angle cables going one way, they are slightly overlapping, for the HDD's then 1 90 LEFT angle cable going the opposite way and looping it back the other way after clearing the gpu for the optical drive. It works, but it's kinda ugly, and the clearance is tight, just barely fits. Kinda poorly designed imo.

I went ahead and ordered another 92mm fan for the cooler to do a push/pull setup. After reading up a bit, I believe I will redo the thermal paste, I did a "smear" method, am going to try a "line" method. I bet the temps will even out much more once that is done. I probably have a few air bubbles. I know the temps are OK but I want to try and overclock a bit farther to try an unbottleneck the gpu's a little more. Hoping for 3.2 to 3.4. Before pushing it though I want the temps sorted out.

Again, thanks for the help guys, the other fan should come in today, I'll keep ya updated.

Sounds good.

As far as the thermal paste goes, have you tried the "pea" method? I've done both the line and smear and it didn't lower temps any from the stock thermal paste. But I've heard that the absolute best way is to do a spherical dab in the middle of the cpu and let the pressure from tightening down the heat sink smear it out. Apparently it minimizes air bubbles the best.

Back