• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga X58 issues Sli LE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

faxi

Registered
Hey guys,
I have a evga x58 Le mother board that I've been fighting with for quite awhile and i was wondering if someone could maybe help me out. Here's what happens I'll be doing something completely normal nothing resource heavy, (browsing the internet) then I here a beep and my computer restarts. not BSOD nothing. I've flashed the bios to the newest one updates all the drivers. I can't figure out why its doing this. Heres my specs
CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66
MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI LE
HDD:2 WD caviar 500gigs
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
RAM: 6 gigs (2X3sticks) OCZ 1600 Intel XMP ram (OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK)
VGA: 2 (9800gtx's in sli)

my first guess from the issues, would be power supply. could be the ram also, how much qpi vtt are you giving and what are the mem speeds and timings?might try backing down on mem speed or raising the timings and see if it helps.
Also are the video cards on OC or no.

I just ran the XMP setting on my ram 1600 mhz my timings are 8-8-8-24-72 1t. My video cards are not over clocked. Im not exactly sure what is the QPI VTT E-Leet says API PLL VCore is 1.1V. I dont think its the power supply though i've ran this for awhile with a phenom 9950 4 gigs of 1066 ram and the rest the same and never had any problems like this.

you will have a setting in the bios, dont remember what evga calls it. May be dram vtt, not dram voltage (dram voltage will have to be 1.64-1.66) but will be something similar to that, some chips like quite a bit of vtt voltage and you may have to go to 1.4 or so to see if that is what it is.

Hmmm I took every thing out and set it up on a bench I think it was shorting on something. And my other crashes (BSOD's) were most likely caused by my drivers having issues with my unupdated windows.

I'm still a little uneasy but it hasnt reset in the last 24 hours so im starting to relax again. I'll probably be back here with another problem soon.

Ok now this is just ridiculous.
It reset again i got some bsod after at the windows loading screen (didn't pay attention to the file specified). I'm really having a hard time thinking its the power supply I've had it for 6+ months and never had this. I dont think its the ram i ran memtest86+ and passed three tests. Evga now is suggesting to roll back drivers (currently in the process of) if that doesnt work they recommend reseating the cpu.

Also I just scanned everything and their cat and dog for viruses with webroot. (read several articles saying virus have caused this). Theres so many possiblities still.

Nope the same thing happened... Theres most likely mutiple things going on. I'm locking up every once in awhile. I'm wondering if the shut offs are the psu some how detecting some hardware trying to commit suicide. I've redone my driver and windows multiple times... this ones got me stumped and I've pretty much lost my soul to it now. This is really hard to figure out mainly becase there is no way to test it other than just waiting. I have noticed it seems to happen most when watching online video.

Last edited:
Tested the power supply. Everything seemed to be fine.
We did notice that the NB temps were ridiculous (60 Degrees Celsius at idle) I called evga they said that isn't the cause... Bullshit. Hope this is the last time i have to post for this problem only time will tell. I took off the NB Heatsink (voided the warranty im sure) they had done a terrible job with the thermal paste. I could spit on it and it woulda worked better. I also redid my air directions and zip tied a fan on the HS. If this doesnt work i might just murder someone. :)

I had one of those boards. It died after less than 2 weeks. I emailed EVGA, never got a return. and that has been over 8 months ago, so much for their renouned support. I took the board back to where I purchased it and bought gigabyte. I will never buy another evga product.

Tested the power supply. Everything seemed to be fine.
We did notice that the NB temps were ridiculous (60 Degrees Celsius at idle) I called evga they said that isn't the cause... Bullcrap. Hope this is the last time i have to post for this problem only time will tell. I took off the NB Heatsink (voided the warranty im sure) they had done a terrible job with the thermal paste. I could spit on it and it woulda worked better. I also redid my air directions and zip tied a fan on the HS. If this doesnt work i might just murder someone. :)

let us know how changing the tim worked out. i have this board as well and in the bios my nb temp is between 55-60 at stock volt.

it should be lower given that it has a fan in the heatsink.

is there program that monitors nb temperature in windows?

Maximus II P45 boards were terrible for NB temps some hit 100c right out of the box and killed the mobo, Everyone goes on about EVGA I have yet to buy a board from them but I assume there going to be in trouble soon as the EVGA mobo team are jumping ship

Maximus II P45 boards were terrible for NB temps some hit 100c right out of the box and killed the mobo, Everyone goes on about EVGA I have yet to buy a board from them but I assume there going to be in trouble soon as the EVGA mobo team are jumping ship
Ware did you read that the EVGA motherboard team is jumping ship.

Alright so changing the TIM, adding a fan directly on the heat sink (zip ties), putting a 80mm fan on the cover and changing the air flow in general I was able to drop it down to around 38 degrees C.
The program i use to monitor it is Everest Ultimate it kinda hard to find the temp. monitor go to tools>System Stability test. You might also have to go into preferences to have it display NB temps. This seems to have made my system stable I'm rather cautious to say that though because i have thought this before then out of nowhere bleep my happiness is gone...(happiness is not a code word for something else)
I will swear by EVGA for their video cards but my experience with their mother boards is lacking at best. They definitely have the best support from my experience (compared to ASUS GIGABYTE and COOLER MASTER).

Unbelievable! its still happening just once or twice a day it full locks up then for about 10 minutes refuses to work consistantly... after that it returns to normal. I'll review what I've tested
1. Ram (each stick with memtest86+)
2. Video cards (swapped each one out currently only running one just in case)
3. PSU
4. Reinstalled windows waaaayyy to many time to count I have to call the stupid phone line to activate my key now becuase I'm stupid and keep thinking i have fixed the problem
5. Messed with different Drivers.

The only new thing i have found is in the event viewer very close to the time i crash theres mutiple entries about different windows search index errors ill get a few for examples.

Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.- this one is every where i read something about power stepping enabled would fix this.

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0- theres a couple of these

The Windows Search Service is starting up and attempting to remove the old search index {Reason: Index Corruption}.
wuaueng.dll (344) SUS20ClientDataStore: Error -1811 (0xfffff8ed) occurred

and

while opening logfile C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log.

are both new ones anybody able to make heads or tails of this. My next though is either my hard drive is bad or some driver issues or windows is corrupt.

Back