• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Extreme question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Khato

Registered
Hi all,

My chipset heats up pretty bad:(. I am using the add on fan that is provided with the board. I also had to move my video card from the 1st to the 2nd PCIE slot to reduce the overheating. That brought down the chipset temperatures from 80C to 70C. Still pretty darned high! And that is when the cpu is idle. I am not OC'ing or anything yet.

I think one thing thats causing a problem is since I am using the NB block with the fan, the stock fan can only be oriented to blow toward the NB. If I choose to use the passive cooling block, than I can have the cpu fan blow away from the NB to the top of the case. But with these temperatures I am not sure if passive cooling is an option.

I welcome any suggestions.

You could try applying some new better quality thermal paste to the heatsinks. The stuff used from the factory is usually garbage and can yield up to 5c difference sometimes.

This will be my next step. I plan to apply some AS5 on the NB and see what happens.

One thing I am wondering... there are two separate voltage settings for the north bridge. One is the core voltage and mine is currently set to 1.11v. The other is NB +1.5V which is set to 1.81v. Is this default 1.81v too high? Can anyone with Rampage III extreme check this and confirm if this is normal?

Okay, the two separate voltages are IOH Voltage (Nb Voltage) and IOH PCIe Voltage.

That IOH PCIe seems quite high to me. Why don't you try reducing it to 1.5v

*edit* I'm using a RIIIE too

Okay, the two separate voltages are IOH Voltage (Nb Voltage) and IOH PCIe Voltage.

That IOH PCIe seems quite high to me. Why don't you try reducing it to 1.5v

*edit* I'm using a RIIIE too

Thanks Gwiggles, I just checked BIOS and PCIe voltage is already at 1.51v. In fact, the only voltage at 1.81v is CPU pll voltage, which I have no idea what that is.

Back