• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sobaixu

Registered
I am in need of some assistance overclocking my rig.

System specs are:

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
GeForce GTX 275 GPU
XFX 750i SLI Mobo
Intel Q9300 Quad Core CPU
ASUS Triton 78 CPU COOLER
4 GB RAM (2x2GB sticks dual channel)
750-Watt Cooler Master Power Supply
Thermaltake M9 Case with 2 Evercool high speed aluminum case fans

So cooling wise i should be good.. I sucessfully oc'd this cpu to 3.0ghz on an ASUS P5QL-PRO Mobo.. but i had to reset the cmos chip almost every time i wanted to turn it back on after shutting it down. and i tried 2 separate asus p5ql-pro boards, same results... i was told it may be due to the power supply but i can't see how...

However the 750i BIOS OC settings are very different than the ASUS Bios i'm used to, and i can't make heads or tails of how to OC on this mobo :/

Tried a bunch of times and it always fails.. so i thought i'd come to the experts :)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.. as well as actual input values I need for this specific mobo bios ;)

Looking to OC it as high as i can with this system.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Is your memory running linked or unliked the 750i has FSB memory holes some times you need to make a big jum in fsb to get it to post.

If your memory is linked it supposed to adjust your memory speed automatically.

Last edited:
It is in dual channel configuration.. if that is what you mean.

That’s not what he was trying to ask...

Please post the specs for your RAM...

Your CPU runs 333MHz x 7.5 = 2.5GHZ so if you increased the FSB to 400MHz to get that 3.0GHz cpu freq that means the RAM which was running @ 667MHz is now running at 800MHz assuming that the DRAM is running 1:1 with the FSB. So if your RAM can't handle that speed or if you haven’t set the timings and voltages appropriately you would be experiencing all the problems you’re having right now.

On a side note, that chipset is not a very good over clocker IMO

Tried Everest but i couldn;t find any useful specs listed for ram in it. Currently downloading Auslogics, mayble that'll give better info..
At any rate.. My RAM is Kingston HyperX. Part #: KHX8500D2K2/4G
Here's the website.. i don't know what info you're looking for exactly but they should have it on their site....

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp#1066d

However, regarding the previous post.. When i boot up my post reads:

cpu speed at 333mhz x 7.5 @ 2.5ghz
RAM @ 800mhz

so doesn't look like a 1:1 ratio..

Last edited:
Tried Everest but i couldn;t find any useful specs listed for ram in it. Currently downloading Auslogics, mayble that'll give better info..
At any rate.. My RAM is Kingston HyperX. Part #: KHX8500D2K2/4G
Here's the website.. i don't know what info you're looking for exactly but they should have it on their site....

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp#1066d

However, regarding the previous post.. When i boot up my post reads:

cpu speed at 333mhz x 7.5 @ 2.5ghz
RAM @ 800mhz

so doesn't look like a 1:1 ratio..

OK, I think there is a lot that could be answered if you would read the overclocking Core2Quad's thread in the forum.

Quickly,

You need to set these settings in for your RAM MANUALLY in the BIOS. Do not rely on the BIOS to automatically configure these values, it will almost certainly under supply the voltage and have the wrong timings...

Your RAM: 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V

So @ 333MHz FSB your BIOS would calculate a 5/8 divider to produce 1066MHz for the RAM. If you set the divider to run it to 1:1 then the speed would have been 666MHz. Because you over clocked the FSB to 400MHz and the DRAM is 1:1 with the FSB your RAM is running at 800MHz which is fine for this RAM. But, you still need to set the timings and voltage to the recommended values you just dont have to relax them because youre not over clocking the RAM and never will get to that point on that mainboard.

Now, that still leaves 3 more voltages for you to manipulate to get a stable overclock and I would suggest you read that guide before messing with them.

These are the only two screens in my BIOS that allow me to adjust OC settings.
The values and voltages are in a diff format than i'm used to from my old asus board which listed them exactly as manufacturers publish them, which made oc'ing easy on that asus board.. This board as you can see is not so OC friendly..

114.jpg

116.jpg

Thanks Matt, I meant to include the link.

i'll just wing it.. this is taking entirely too long to get a response..
This isnt an instant messenger or live tech support. Make a post and wait for a reply. Hey it took you 10days to respond to my reply :) I don't think wining it is a good idea but hey, its your hardware do as you please.

here's a better idea.. i'll post the screenshot of my bios so you guys can see what i'm confused about... i'm not a noob to OC'ing, i just don't get this bios.. so all i am asking for are the proper values..

Why dont you write it down and then type it in. A lot of BIOS pictures are hard to read on here.

OK, I posted that while you were posting the pics. Right away I can see that your memory voltage has not been set to 2.2V and the timings have not been set either. Do that first.

Whats this 0.000V for the CPU? Did you set it to 0?

Didn't mean to sound like i was whining. Was simply stating a fact. And it took me so long to reply cuz i never got the email saying there was a reply.. which is odd cuz i just checked my account settings and it should have notified me... but whatever.. here's the screenies.. as you can see there's very little to input.. i have tried setting the FSB to 1600mhz and left the memory at 800mhz, set the vcore to 0.137580 and the memory timings to manual 5-5-5-15 @ 2.20v and it doesn't even post..
So i have no idea what I'm missing here ...

Last edited:
sorry those screenies were taken after a failed oc with all settings at defaults.

yeah the vcore voltage is strange to me.. is that setting i used maybe too low É (question mark.. dunno why it's showing up as É) :p

ok so i just tried setting the memory voltage to 2.2 and timings to 5-5-5-15. the system posted but locked up once it hit the desktop. had to hard reset.
I then lowered the voltage to 2.1 using same timings and it locked up at desktop again.
I'm now sitting at defaults again.

Download and instal CPUID so that you can see your BIOS/system settings from the desktop.

Please enable your failsafe defaults, that means your FSB is back to 333MHz*4 = 1333MHz and all the voltages for the cpu, NB, SB and MHC are on auto.

Then manually change your memory settings to the correct voltages and timings.

Write down what the voltages are.

Run P95 blend as a baseline test to make sure nothing else is the issue. If P95 runs for a few hours without errors, change the FSB to 400MHz and leave the voltages on auto.

Run P95 again. If it runs several hours without fail start manually backing off on the vcores and NB voltages until you find the lowest stable settings. This will take a very long time as you will need to let P95 run for at least 12hrs before calling it stable. It might run for 8hrs before failing so thats why you need to be patient and write down all the changes you make as you go so you know what you need to tweak next.

i have already tried that and can't get the system to run without locking up on the proper memory settings.. itseems to only run at the default settings which is driving me nuts :/

i have already tried that and can't get the system to run without locking up on the proper memory settings.. itseems to only run at the default settings which is driving me nuts :/

You reset the BIOS to failsafe defaults? Do not change the FSB settings, just the timings and voltage on the RAM. Memory voltage should be 2.2V and the timings should be 5-5-5-15 this is your CL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS. Leave the other settings on auto. Save and exit. Open up CPUID, click on the memory tab and take a screen shot for me.

It looks like your having memory trouble, run your pc a default settings and use multiple CPU-Z's and open memory tab and open CPU tab. and take a screen shot so we can see what your memory is running at default.

Also download mem86 so we can do some testing, after we get a idea why your system is locking up with changing memory timing and voltage.:burn:

Yeah i was starting to wonder about the ram maybe being bad :/ that would suck.. $219 for that ram kit :p
But anyway.. i took all the info i could from CPU-Z.. hope it helps.. All settings are at BIOS Defaults.

Screenie.png

Back