• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob needs help picking motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aeronerd

So this is my first time posting to this forum. Ive always been interested in building computers but until the past few years its been merely an interest that hasn't moved past software expertise. 2 years ago I had my computer guy build me a new system and I was very involved with most of the component choices. the end product looked like this:

Case: crappy no name case
PSU: 600W unknown brand
Motherboard: intel DG33BU
CPU: Intel Q9450 2.66Ghz
Ram: 4gb (2 x2gb)(Avant-???) DDR2 800
GPU: GeForce 9600 GT
Optical: 2 dvd-RW DL (lite-on & LG)
Floppy
1 WD7500AAKS 7200 RPM

Anyway Since then ive found an old Dell precision workstation 340 with a broken MB that I replaced to use at school. Recently I made some changes to my system mentioned above by replacing a broken PSU with a Corsair 650W and a Lian Li 7Fn case also have a CM hyper 212 plus cpu heatsink on the way. however with my ultimate goal of beginning to dabble in overclocking my Intel motherboard is too simplistic to allow any overclocking adjustments. Could you suggest a good motherboard in the $100.00 or less range that would be good for a noob to do some introductory overclocking (would like a stable system with 3.2-3.6 Ghz) also anything I might be missing such as ram requirements would be helpful too., Im extremely new to this. I would like to also buy another 2gb DDR2 eventually.

:blah: sorry for the long post

Definitely a P45 board like either the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L or GA-EP45T-UD3LR, the latter having the Intel ICH10R (RAID capable) south bridge... both for the same $84.99 after MIR at Newegg. Or an Asus P5Q SE Plus for $89.99 after MIR, this like the UD3L w/ the ICH10 non-RAID south bridge. The P5Q Pro Turbo is $104.99 after MIR, and has the ICH10R south bridge. As far as RAM and hitting a clock of 3.6GHz (450MHz x 8) w/ a DRAM frequency of at least 900MHz 1:1, you'll need some high quality DDR2-800, or better yet DDR2-1066 to give yourself some breathing room at higher clocks. Manufacturers like G.Skill, OCZ, A-Data, Mushkin, and Corsair are all reputable RAM companies.... but I would recommend ditching your current "Avant-???" RAM, and picking up a 2 x 2GB kit of much higher quality memory.

If I was to change memory i would have no need to stick with the DDR2 and could therfore look into DDR3 boards I was looking around and found this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130252

if I got this ram ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275 ) to go with it would this be a good combo for a noob or does this complicate the set up at all? Im not looking for a plug and go type of simplicity but keeping in mind ive never done this too far I dont want to dive directly into the deep end.
I think down the road I would be interested in setting up a raid array (but I've also been considering a SSD) I know the MSI I posted doesnt have raid capabilities but Ill take it one step at a time.

Also is it true that if I were to add another 2 gb of ram making my total 6 would that reduce me to a single channel and thus decrease performance compared to that of 4gbs? Im a little confused as to how that works.

thanks for your help so far, you've given me a lot to consider.

Back