• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tec questions,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

i wana get my hands on a tec to do some expirementing. making 2 loops similar to this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6517094&postcount=14 , so im gona need to get 2 matched waterblocks, a tec and another pump , this is gona be for expiriment, not long term.

i looked at this item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thermoelectri...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item20b0e4f57d

i dont know if its a good tec?

what can i use to power it, as i dont have 400w spare on my 12v rail?

about insulating the board, i have hear that some people use the artists rubber, how effective is this method, or what other ways should i consider?

thanks for reading, mark

Last edited:
Aww not using my plan then :(
Could you test out my design? Just to see how they compare? Sorry to de-rail the topic slightly.

i didnt have any plan untill our discusion yesterday, now im curious enough to try it :p

when i have the stuff together, i will give your heat sink idea ago, i only have 1 heat sink spare, its an ocz vanqisher, im not sure if its good enough to cool the hot side thou.

Yup, that one will do it.
At 12v it's 270ish watts, which will cool anything up to 130-140w quite nicely, above that it won't get as cold.

You'll need a fairly beefy PSU obviously, something that can cough up 26a of 12v beyond what your system itself needs.

Yup, that one will do it.
At 12v it's 270ish watts, which will cool anything up to 130-140w quite nicely, above that it won't get as cold.

You'll need a fairly beefy PSU obviously, something that can cough up 26a of 12v beyond what your system itself needs.

thanks, right now my pc uses about 320w at load (cpu and gpus folding), but i dont know what each rail is using, probably about 80% of that is on the 12v rail.

26A @12v is about 300w , so im gona need atleast a 700w psu, hopefully 1 with a giant 12v rail, gona have to start looking, and saving up.

Just grab a second PSU? You can probably jam an old PSU into your case and use it as a dedicated TEC PSU.

my case is pretty tight as it is, so i dont have space for another psu, and im also woried having the tec on a seperate psu that if somthing goes wrong, the tec could power up with out cooling and melt somthing.

Well that'll always be a worry with a TEC cooler. Something can always break. Just monitor the temps? Also set it to auto-shutdown at a fairly low temp? Would save it if the cooler does break.

Artist putty is great for insulating mobo,s and GPU's
I have seen some use this Dragon Skin as insulation/water barrier,
As have seen another bencher rickss69 showing it used on one of his Mobo's, and GPU's
info http://www.smooth-on.com/

hey, thx for the reply :) ,

i got a new psu the other day, its a 650w with a single 12v rail, currently my system uses 284w when folding on both gpus and the cpu, so im gona see if i can find a 12v tec that uses about 300w of power, then i should be able to power it from my psu

i have some wc parts on the way, new rad, pump. cpu block and res, so i can test expirement with tecs without disturbing my gpu/nb blocks to much.

still need to get the tec and insulate everything , im having to do it in stages as the cash comes along

Last edited:
just an update, i have insulated the front side of the motherboard with mouldable erraser, i have enough to do the back, which i will do in a few days.

i have have everything needed for this setup except the tec :p

Does anyone know what the thermal conductivity of a Peltier is like when it's not powered? If I have one mounted between the processor and the heat sink, and it fails, what will happen?

Back