• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5E Motherboard RMA, and Now Broken

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amaroe

Registered
So ladies and gents,

I just RMA'd a motherboard. P5E Mobo. Failed bios flash, and it was boned.

The new one just came in. Hooked everything up, and it's having a strange issue.

It turns on for about 10 seconds, shuts down, and comes back on. There's no post beep codes, even when the RAM is missing.

The tech-guy from ASUS said it was grounding out. As such, I took it out of the system, left it sitting on a rubber mat, left the RAM out, and tried to power it on.

Same issue. It's still "grounding out" according to the tech guy.

So, anyone know what it means when an ASUS mobo shuts itself off, back on after a couple seconds, and has no beep codes?

Sounds like the same symptoms my GA-X58A-UD3R had.

I received at board with the first BIOS version, that didn't support my i7 930, after flashing (used a friends 920) it booted.

What CPU do you have?

Seems like Q6600 as in sign ;)
This board was working with most cpu without need to flash bios.
If flashing bios fail simply put cd with bios.rom file or anything else like pendrive or floppy and board should make self recovery. Sometimes 1st bios is on producers cd with drivers but not always.
You can try clear cmos, try different psu or just try put RAM in different slots. These boards didn't like some RAM setups. I have no more ideas now.
After 2 RMA I sold my board.

I have this happen with my Intel board at times... pull the power, pull the battery, pull the jumper, and RAM, and then hit the switch with no power to drain any that might be there

Then and get it to start up with the jumper in the config position. If you get nothing, sounds like you might have another RMA :/

Sounds like the same symptoms my GA-X58A-UD3R had.

I received at board with the first BIOS version, that didn't support my i7 930, after flashing (used a friends 920) it booted.

What CPU do you have?

i dont mean to highjack the thread, but in continuing from the other one briefly. i used an i7-930 in a ga-x58a-ud3r, it booted up on the first attempt with factory bios, though it would occasionally hang at post and give boot loops until after five weeks it died and wouldnt post at all. this was with an upgrade to the latest bios. i feel that 920 working first is just a coincidence, maybe reseating it helped. a 920 and a 930, i believe, are the same chip but they are binned differently based on performance. any 4core 900 series i7 should be compatible with the factory bios.

So ladies and gents,

I just RMA'd a motherboard. P5E Mobo. Failed bios flash, and it was boned.

The new one just came in. Hooked everything up, and it's having a strange issue.

It turns on for about 10 seconds, shuts down, and comes back on. There's no post beep codes, even when the RAM is missing.

The tech-guy from ASUS said it was grounding out. As such, I took it out of the system, left it sitting on a rubber mat, left the RAM out, and tried to power it on.

Same issue. It's still "grounding out" according to the tech guy.

So, anyone know what it means when an ASUS mobo shuts itself off, back on after a couple seconds, and has no beep codes?

If the ram is out when you try to post it should send beep codes
If you have the board out of the case and sitting on a rubber mat , how can ther still be a short unless you have a aftermarket cooler and the back plate is shorting out, Sounds like the tech drone at Asus is a bit of a dumb ***.
Ask to be elevated to level 3 tech, inform them the replacement board is a dud and your not very happy.. After jumping through a few hoops they will express ship you a new replacement.

i dont mean to highjack the thread, but in continuing from the other one briefly. i used an i7-930 in a ga-x58a-ud3r, it booted up on the first attempt with factory bios, though it would occasionally hang at post and give boot loops until after five weeks it died and wouldnt post at all. this was with an upgrade to the latest bios. i feel that 920 working first is just a coincidence, maybe reseating it helped. a 920 and a 930, i believe, are the same chip but they are binned differently based on performance. any 4core 900 series i7 should be compatible with the factory bios.

Nah, it had the F1 bios that doesnt support 930. Im going to return it. It has problems finding my 12GB RAM.

Heres my thread. Mission impossible lol...
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645426

When CPU isn't working then you hear no beeps too. Try to replace cpu and use box cooler. No other smart ideas today. Good luck with board and I'm off till end of weekend.

Jah, appreciate all the responses guys. :)

I actually had electrical tape under my cpu cooler plate, between it and the mobo, just so I knew that it wouldn't be a problem. I'd thought that was the problem initially as well.

Still nada from the board. Calling ASUS presently. Wish me luck!

Back