• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga-x58a-ud3r, defective IT8720F chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fundip

i rmaed my gigabyte motherboard to gigabyte when it failed to post after 5 weeks of use. gigabyte sent it right back to me telling me that there is nothing wrong with it, and blaming other components for the problem. ive been getting really frustrated with the gigabyte's refusal to honor their warranty.:bang head

this morning, i decided to do a detailed visual inspection of this defective product that gigabyte sold me. i noticed some mild discoloration around the back side of the IT8720F chip near the pci-e sockets. so what i can conclude is that either the IT8720F chip is defective or the component regulating volts to it is. i do not understand exactly all the tasks that this chip is responsible for but i skimmed over some literature and got that it has something to do with regulating power to the pci bus and it is pwn fan controller.

it had the classic gigabyte x58 boot loop problem and the symptoms of failure were no post, leds would light up, fans would spin, and the fan on the hd5770 would go to max every few power ons. would a burned up IT8720F chip cause the video card fan to max out?

i am really considering filing a lawsuit against gigabyte at this point to get my money back.

You can't get it to post and they sent it back to you?:shock:

yeah, i thought it would be fairly straight forward at the start. 5 week old mobo no longer functions, it is defective, it should be replaced. as well, their technical/customer support ammounts to cut and paste responses signed "gigabyte support".

basically theyre saying, "haha, screw you. we know we sold you junk and there is nothing you can do about it."

i can understand that mass production results in a few lemons being produced, but it seems that more people than not are having the same problems with this x58 mobo.

my theory is that gigabyte executives know that they have produced a failed design, its too expensive to retool, and its their internal policy to refuse all legitimate rma's of the x58 because they would lose too much money.

were you using the hardware in your signature on this gigabyte board, Gigabyte doesnt officially support OCZ memory im affraid and up until recently, it wasnt on their QVL list, not even 100% sure it is now, see here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...onebardier-OCZ3G1600LV6GK-and-GA-X58-problems

This is what the QVL is for, if you decide to buy outside of it, you do so at your own risk, maybe their isnt anything wrong with the board, maybe is just compatability, I had the same problems with an ABIT 775 board and Crucial ballistix RAM, the board went straight back.

were you using the hardware in your signature on this gigabyte board, Gigabyte doesnt officially support OCZ memory im affraid and up until recently, it wasnt on their QVL list, not even 100% sure it is now, see here:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...onebardier-OCZ3G1600LV6GK-and-GA-X58-problems

This is what the QVL is for, if you decide to buy outside of it, you do so at your own risk, maybe their isnt anything wrong with the board, maybe is just compatability, I had the same problems with an ABIT 775 board and Crucial ballistix RAM, the board went straight back.

i dont think it is compatibility related. like i said, it worked for five weeks. when i initially bought it, ocz memory was on the gigabyte supported memory list.

you seem to be one of the lucky ones who have had some success with this mobo. what are the components in your system?

from what i have read in other's posts on many different forums by users who own failed gigabyte x58 motherboards, just about every brand of ram and psu has been accused of being incompatible with this mobo by gigabyte tech support including corsair which is generally considered to be at the top of the heap.

Yes I see what you are saying the board was working fine with the memory you were using and it was doing the Gigabyte boot looping, and now it's failed. Will it post up now, so you can test some things.

Last edited:
Back