• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on mobo + 12GB RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobCooler

Hey

I need some advice. What mobo and RAM should I buy?

I tried this:

Core i7 930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1 i think)
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 12GB

That didnt go so well http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645426

Any advice is welcome.

Im using an i7 930 and two m-25x in raid 0. As im am often running multiple VS2010 large solution, i need 12GB RAM. Thats pretty much it.

Thanks

EVGA E758, TR or A1 (your choice)
Asus P6X58D, E or Premium (your choice)

Hey

I need some advice. What mobo and RAM should I buy?

I tried this:

Core i7 930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1 i think)
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 12GB

That didnt go so well http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645426

Any advice is welcome.

Im using an i7 930 and two m-25x in raid 0. As im am often running multiple VS2010 large solution, i need 12GB RAM. Thats pretty much it.

Thanks

the problem is your motherboard, there is currently no hardware that is compatible with gigabyte x58 motherboards, not even i7 processors are compatible with them.

if you already have the corsair memory you should keep it and try a new mobo. evga just released an x58 ftw mobo with sata 6Gbs and usb3.0 and i think asus makes mobos with those same features. they are slightly more expensive than the gigashyte offerings but they have the added feature of actually functioning.

some people are complaining on evga forums that the vregs get unusually hot on the x58ftw mobo though.

one drawback of the new sata and usb is that the x58 chipset does not support it and when used it takes bandwith from the pci-e bus, so dont bother with it unless you really feel that you need it. there really arent any devices that take advantage of this high banwidth yet. maybe the next generation of ssds will exceed sata3Gbs but that is a couple years away. and usb3.0 can be had with a pci add-in card.

Last edited:
Back