• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X58 MSI XPOWER, new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P!X3L

Hello everyone,

First post, so please go easy on me ^.^ hehe.

I am looking at building myself a new machine.
Planning on getting:
i7 920
8gb OCZ platinum triple channel ddr3
2x sapphire 5970 4gb toxic gpu's (They take up 3 pci slots each)
already have a asus xonar essence stx (great with my denon d2000's) single slot.
ati firpro 4800 for displays (single slot)
corsair/antec 1200 watt psu

Now, my challange is to put all of that onto the motherboard while still using the two sapphire graphics cards in crossfirex using 2.0 x16 slots.
msi_big_bang_xpower_17.jpg
The six PCI-e x16 expansion slots have a number of different combinations that you can implement. The MSI Big Bang XPower will support six single slot graphics cards or you can run two-way, three-way or quad SLI or CrossfireX. If you run dual cards in either SLI or CrossfireX the first and fourth PCI-e expansion slots are used and they will both run at full X16 bandwidth. If you populate all six PCI-e expansion slots they will run at: x8, x4, x4, x8, x4, x4. Next to the six PCI-e x16 slots is a PCI-e x1 slot. The PCI-e x1 expansion slot is meant to be used in conjunction with the Quantum Wave sound card that is included with the MSI Big Bang XPower.
from
Code:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1327/3/

If you are wondering why on earth I would need 2x5970's, its because Im getting into graphics rendering, and with gpu rendering just being around the corner from becoming mainstream, this is a bargain as nvidea's solutions are not worth the money. The Tesla c2050 (2300 euro) only has 3gb of memory and is about half as powerful as the toxic 5970 (900 euro atm)... ^.^ And I have heard from numerous sources that there will be only 1000 units produced, so I'm getting two.

So yeah, please tell me if it is possible, if not I would have to opt for the gigabyte ud9 I think, but that board is 500 euro and I'm already spending a ton of cash. Thank you.

Edit: I'm going for the ud9 THANKS FOR THE HELP KKKK

Last edited:
Back