• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-X58A-UD3R with i7 930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FWLAX

Registered
Hi everybody,

Greetings from Los Angeles! I am new in this forum.

I am planning to build an Intel i7 system myself. Any suggestions to the system will be highly appreciated.

Following are the details of the system:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
cpu: Intel i7 930
ram: Kingston KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX (also considering Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7)
case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced (also considering Thermalright Venomous X-RT)
psu: Antec Quattro 850 with 80Plus® Bronze Certification
cpu cooler: CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO A.L.C. (will add an additional fan for push/pull setting)
video card: ??? (still not sure if I should go will SLI or CrossFire X, one thing for sure I will either get one or two video cards not three)

I am not a gamer, mainly will use this system for 64bits AutoCAD, Revit Architectural and 3D rendering for my home office. I will start with Vista Ultimate because I got that a year ago but never get the chance to put together a 64bits system. Eventually, I will shift to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate later this year.

Any advice? Thanks. :salute:

:welcome:You don't need such a big PSU a corsair 620HX or Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W will be plenty, everything else looks great except.:)

for what your doiong you don't want gaming videeo card. this is what you need for Auto CAD
PNY VCQFX1700-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 1700 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133207

Last edited:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
cpu: Intel i7 930
ram: Kingston KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX (also considering Corsair CMX6GX3M3C1600C7)
video card: ??? (still not sure if I should go will SLI or CrossFire X, one thing for sure I will either get one or two video cards not three)
I am not a gamer, mainly will use this system for 64bits AutoCAD, Revit Architectural and 3D rendering for my home office.

Ok, I'll bite :)

Your spec is a nice gaming system. But from the last statement above it looks like you're going to make some money from this system.
So, if I build a workstation I make sure as hell that I (or my customer) doesn't lose any money (through loss of data etc.). Make sure the CPU (or memory controller) *does* support ECC, the mainboard supports ECC, the memory supports ECC, the disks are a RAID-5 or RAID-10 setup, proper backup procedures are in place, the system is run off an UPS (that prevents it from crashing in case of a power glitch and allows for a safe shutdown in case of a longer power failure), make sure the PSU is loaded 80% max at fully loaded CPU *and* GPU and stay away from SLI/XF in the workstation case.
...and don't overclock.
Now you're looking at $ 5000 hardware. Now you could as well look at Dell or HP and buy a fully assembled workstation and get them liable at least for the hardware :( .
Good luck with your business.

PS: I've looked up Dell and it seems SLI/XF setups are no longer a big problem since they offer dual card settings with both Nvidia and ATI.
...they don't slate these dual card settings explicitely as SLI or XF but why would one use either a Quadro or a FireGL dual card setting for multi monitor support? This would be very expensive (ok, I've made things more stupid than that :) ).

Last edited:
avoid gigabyte. ga-x58a-ud3r motherboards have a high failure rate and gigabyte refuses to honor the warranty. gigabyte has the worst customer service in the business. spend a few more bucks on an evga or asus, it will be worth it.

Thanks for the input.

The Antec Quattro 850 was on sale in the store for $80 plus tax, so I went ahead and got one for the new system.

Wow, $5,000 is way beyond my budget. Though I said I will use this system for my home office, it mainly for me to learn the new features of the AutoCAD & REVIT (they have a new version every year). The computer I have at work is very slow and there's no way I can use it to learn the new version of these software. That's why I decided to spend my own money to put a system together, so I can use it at home to update myself and sharpen my skill set. This system is not going to generate additional income for me, that's why I have to be very careful in choosing all the parts.

Yes, instead of the SLI or CrossFire X, I should have thought about the NVIDIA - Quadro or the ATI - FirePro.

FX580 is the top model within the Quadro entry level family, it is about $160. If I want to get something a step better, I will have to go to the mid-range level and pay $400 for the FX1800. It's more than double! It's really hard to decide.

BTW, according to the Kingston's specification for the KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX ram, the SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333MHz timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V. Is the 9-9-9 too slow? Though they claim it can be OC to 2000MHz (9-10-9-27 at 1.65V) but I don't think the i7 930 can support that. Also, I have no plan to push it that far anyway. Should I get the CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator (8-8-8-24-2T at 1.65v) instead? The CORAIR Dominator will cost me $30 more. Which one is a better choice?

Last edited:
...Though I said I will use this system for my home office, it mainly for me to learn the new features of the AutoCAD & REVIT (they have a new version every year). The computer I have at work is very slow and there's no way I can use it to learn the new version of these software. That's why I decided to spend my own money to put a system together, so I can use it at home to update myself and sharpen my skill set. This system is not going to generate additional income for me, that's why I have to be very careful in choosing all the parts.

Yes, instead of the SLI or CrossFire X, I should have thought about the NVIDIA - Quadro or the ATI - FirePro.

FX580 is the top model within the Quadro entry level family, it is about $160. If I want to get something a step better, I will have to go to the mid-range level and pay $400 for the FX1800. It's more than double! It's really hard to decide.

BTW, according to the Kingston's specification for the KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX ram, the SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333MHz timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V. Is the 9-9-9 too slow? Though they claim it can be OC to 2000MHz (9-10-9-27 at 1.65V) but I don't think the i7 930 can support that. Also, I have no plan to push it that far anyway. Should I get the CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator (8-8-8-24-2T at 1.65v) instead? The CORAIR Dominator will cost me $30 more. Which one is a better choice?
A dozen alarm bells go off if I see someone talking about AutoCAD etc. and then selecting cheap gamer gear for mission critical systems. There is nothing wrong with building such a system for educational purposes only :)
I can feel the pain with your slow office system (using a vintage 2004 Dell PWS 360 with a P4 3.2 GHz and Quadro 3000 atm, upgraded from 1.5 GB to 3 GB a few weeks ago to keep it running another year).

No need to get a Quadro if it's only for playing. But the performance hit may be quite dramatic using a gaming card instead of a certified one.

Beware of these memory modules: these are HyperX with large cooling fins and might get in the way with other things of your build! There are other HyperX modules with normal heatspreaders or ValueRAM with none at all. The same is true with memory modules from other manufacturers.
I'm quite satisfied with Kingston and use them as DDR, DDR2, DDR3 in ECC and non-ECC and KHX and KVR versions.
As to the timings: I haven't read the spec but my understanding is that it is a minimum requirements spec - 9-9-9-27 at 1333 MHZ will not require more than 1.5V.

At the moment I don't overclock - I call it fine-tuning. Everything is at 100% spec with additional 5-10% added :) YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

Well the timing difference will only show up in actual memory bench marks, not in real world applications, and the DDR3 -1333 might be more stable because it's lower speciation also most boards and CPU's except that speed easily, also the X58 chipset, is 3 channel memory is plenty of bandwidth for what you are doing, with the graphics card you will be using.

Here is what you need to look for triple memory kit.

Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K3/6GX
LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104162

QUOTE:Total kit capacity is 6GB. Each module pair has been tested
to run at DDR3-1333MHz at a low latency timing of 7-7-7-20 at 1.65V. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard
latency DDR3-1333MHz timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V. Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.5V.

Or Kingston 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K3/6G
LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134852

If it were me, I would use JEDEC standards.

I like Kingston's, Corsair is good to.

Did you want to go as far as ECC memory and board, I feel it only benefits programmers and servers.

Last edited:
Unless you buy a certified workstation card, your video card will be unrecognized by Autodesk software, thus you will not be able to use their AutoCad optimized drivers. Just an FYI.

avoid gigabyte. ga-x58a-ud3r motherboards have a high failure rate and gigabyte refuses to honor the warranty. gigabyte has the worst customer service in the business. spend a few more bucks on an evga or asus, it will be worth it.

I understand you had a bad experience with this board, as do a good handfull of others, but you cant put everyone off it all the time, I spoke to a UK shop on saturday after I purchased two new ATI 5830's as I couldnt get the board to post with them in, fixed it in the end and hasnt been a problem since and they told me that this is their best selling x58 board, so for the millions that are sold its obvious that your gonna get some bad ones in the bunch.

If you wanna see bad customer service then yes definatly buy and ASUS board cos they are without a doubt the worst ive ever delt with and I think it was also Wingman who had a bad experience too with ANUS.

you do understand that when you returned your gigabyte board to them, if they tested it with their compatible hardware and it posted then yes they would of sent it back to you, i would of done exactly the same thing.

@FWLAX, you really cant go wrong with this board, its the best x58 ive owned to date, and hundreds and thousands of people would also agree with me, just make sure the hardware you purchase to go with this board is on the Gigabyte compatability list.

I think the users name was Noobcooler who recently had a thread also saying he couldnt get this board to post, he had corsair ram in it, NOT SUPPORTED, tried with Kingston ram in it instead and posted first time, this board is very fussy about RAM and PSU.

Yes I did have a nightmare with Asus. I did have a gigabyte board with a problem and sent it in to Gigabyte and they did repair it.

I understand you had a bad experience with this board, as do a good handfull of others, but you cant put everyone off it all the time, I spoke to a UK shop on saturday after I purchased two new ATI 5830's as I couldnt get the board to post with them in, fixed it in the end and hasnt been a problem since and they told me that this is their best selling x58 board, so for the millions that are sold its obvious that your gonna get some bad ones in the bunch.

If you wanna see bad customer service then yes definatly buy and ASUS board cos they are without a doubt the worst ive ever delt with and I think it was also Wingman who had a bad experience too with ANUS.

you do understand that when you returned your gigabyte board to them, if they tested it with their compatible hardware and it posted then yes they would of sent it back to you, i would of done exactly the same thing.

@FWLAX, you really cant go wrong with this board, its the best x58 ive owned to date, and hundreds and thousands of people would also agree with me, just make sure the hardware you purchase to go with this board is on the Gigabyte compatability list.

I think the users name was Noobcooler who recently had a thread also saying he couldnt get this board to post, he had corsair ram in it, NOT SUPPORTED, tried with Kingston ram in it instead and posted first time, this board is very fussy about RAM and PSU.

according to noobcooler, it posted because he exchanged the gigashyte board with an asus. and it wasnt an issue of ram compatibility either. according to gigabyte tech support all ram and all psu's are incompatible with their motherboards, even the ones on the compability list.

i have no first hand knowledge of asus quality or tech support, but i do of gigabyte's and both are aweful.

LOL @ fundip... dude you are on a crusade arent you?!!!

Sweet jebus.. .the OP made 3 threads for the exact same thing......man.....

yes i am. i must inform all those who ask.

yeah whats up with the triple post?

Did you ever think of taking the route of, "I have had some bad experiences with boards and tech support as well as others, be leary".. Instead of "zOMFG, th3y ar3 th3 sux0rzs d0nt buy anything of th13rs EVAR...n1n1n1n1n1!!!!!!"

Its funny what you say about cheap parts as this post by Gautam today was pretty timely...
All of ASUSes boards are pretty much the same thing, whether RIIE, P6T, P6X58, P6T7 WS etc, all the same components and even the same BIOS just different feature set, naturally same for Gigabyte and the rest.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6530980&postcount=12

So I guess you need to chuck all your PC parts away ehh fundip? :)

It may be better received ya know?

Did you ever think of taking the route of, "I have had some bad experiences with boards and tech support as well as others, be leary".. Instead of "zOMFG, th3y ar3 th3 sux0rzs d0nt buy anything of th13rs EVAR...n1n1n1n1n1!!!!!!"

Its funny what you say about cheap parts as this post by Gautam today was pretty timely...

LMAO Earthdog

.. Instead of "zOMFG, th3y ar3 th3 sux0rzs d0nt buy anything of th13rs EVAR...n1n1n1n1n1!!!!!!"

LOL at that ED. That would have taken me about a half hour to type that :D

Unfortunately one bad experience is enough to sour "some" people on a company. Informing others that you had a bad experience is one thing, but claiming a definitive answer of "they're the worst, no one should ever buy a thing from xxxxxx" is just sending the wrong message. It's especially not something that you want to throw on someone who is new to the forum, or to building systems in general. Everyone is bound to have a bad experience at some point... I would like to think that most people are mature enough to take it for what it was.

you diminish me by characterizing my posts in a rediculous manner. thats not a valid method of debate. you should be ashamed of yourself.

what i have done is state, in detail, my experiences with gigabyte as well as allude to the similarities between mine and others' experiences to demonstrate that the poor quality of product and service is no fluke.

i realize that all motherboards are built with foxconn parts, probably in the same chinese factories, but they are designed differently. post failures, boot loops, and squealing sounds around the cpu socket are common on gigabyte x58 motherboards. common enough for +25% of the newegg reviews to be below average for just those reasons.

Back