• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubleshoot install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JS1

Registered
i just setup my old p5k premium with a 650 antec p/s and some ddr2 1066 geil gold dragon,same cpu and gpu. problem is when i start it up it keeps reseting cant figure it out only using one stick of ram checked all connections and reseated gpu and cpu no beeps it just turns on and then off and back on and off . im starting to think bad powersupply. any ideas? JS1

ya i checked cpu and heatsink, loosened up m/b screws and retightened ,had it startup set bios settings reboot and back to not starting the only parts that are new are the p/s and the memory.everthing else i now works. im gonna try a diff p/s, its eather that or i got 2 bad sticks of ram and i dont think bolth would be bad. JS1

Yeah, overtightening of HSF is definitely a known cause for reboot cycling. It happened to me on one of my boards when I had my HSF too tight. Loosening it fixed the problem.

Yeah, overtightening of HSF is definitely a known cause for reboot cycling. It happened to me on one of my boards when I had my HSF too tight. Loosening it fixed the problem.

X2 I had a pair of very stable eVga 780is, bought them both "bolt on" coolers on a whim one day. Installed them and constant reboots on both, overtightened the 775 hsf contraption, warped the mobo. It' happens. Didn't figure it out till I got so frustrated I started bench testing them with the HS just set on top the CPU...they booted, installed it properly again, no boot.

Was it working fine before you changed the PSU and memory?
YES it was all working only new parts were p/s and memory. it turned out to be the power supply DOA, got a new one and good to go, another happy customer. THANKS for the help. JS1

Glad you were able to find the problem, I was wondering if it was the PSU because of your first post, Good PSU usually shutdown when there is a problem.:)

Back