• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Overclocker issue #10 now published!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is he fingering Yang's socket? :D

EDIT:

Good reading, but Kingpin's interview felt like a repeat of the last one I read... Just without the part about how much fun AMD and LHe overclocking is.

I disagree somewhat with the WR stance he took - especially the "PERIOD" part... I don't think any one person can decide on their own what is the right way or wrong way to define WRs. To me it depends on what the community majority embraces - anything else is a minority opinion by nature. To claim otherwise seems a bit isolationist for me. Everyone has their opinion though, and there's something to be said for believing in what you believe.

But right now the community embraces a system built upon classes where WRs are possible for specific hardware configurations. More than anything else, the talk I've seen in some nooks and cranny's of the community with certain people getting up in arms about WRs makes me want to puke at this point. If its a good overclock its a good overclock, and it seems like a lot of wasted effort picking nits about what qualifies or not - who decided its worth placing so much weight on WRs other than the manufacturer's and marketing people?

That's something new in the overclocking game - I remember in the early part of the decade when overclocking wasn't about world records and few people cared about the top scores on the Orb or wherever. There were still prominent guys people knew about, but it was all built off reputation across the community. It was about tweaking hardware, enjoying the process of getting the most out of your components, helping the guys you met online along with their gear and seeing how far they can take it... but points, synthetic scores, and "World Records" were only an afterthought or not even considered.

That makes me sound too negative about the competition side of overclocking which has really matured in the last half of the decade, and that's not true to how I feel at all. I just don't care for the emphasis placed on WRs or grinding axes over the details. Things are different than they used to be, but its good to see the legitimacy overclocking has achieved. The competition in the benchmarking side of the house is a ton of fun to follow and see what people are accomplishing too. I enjoy what the HWBot guys have built for the overclocking community and most of all how I feel its driven the push for more extreme cooling... I think that in particular presents an angle on overclocking which is exploding in popularity beyond the mass popularity its already come into this past decade. When we can buy $500 boxes to do everything we need to do at home as many of us get older and responsibilities multiply like rabbits, seeing a lot of folks going subzero brings some new horizons which keep things challenging and interesting. When pencil tricks, homemade waterblocks, and other old fashioned tool-shed engineering we used to enjoy isn't as relevant in the game as it used to be... Its good to see new methods and angles replacing the old and continuing to push the envelope.

WRs aren't what overclocking is about to me, and I think most people would agree its only a very small niche who concerns themselves with the difference between a 4xGPU WR and a 1xGPU WR. If its a good overclock, you worked hard at it, and you had fun getting there - that's what its about to me. :)

Last edited:
very nice write-up. I always enjoy reading and pics when they come out. great work

Back