• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Me thinks my Mobo is dead......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burner127

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 1003

Problem started when machine wouldn't go into sleep mode. Would try to force into sleep mode but would come right back up. Powered down machine and left it alone for 3 hours, came back and when I hit power button, machine would light up and power up for 1/2 a second then shutdown.

Weird, I thought.

Cleared CMOS and removed battery--no dice.
Pulled out every card, video card, no HDDs or optical drives attached, and all but 1 stick of ram (verified RAM was fine in another machine)-- same result.
Changed PSUs--got a brand new one - same result.

I don't get a diagnostic beep at all. Sound dead to you?

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 1003

Problem started when machine wouldn't go into sleep mode. Would try to force into sleep mode but would come right back up. Powered down machine and left it alone for 3 hours, came back and when I hit power button, machine would light up and power up for 1/2 a second then shutdown.

Weird, I thought.

Cleared CMOS and removed battery--no dice.
Pulled out every card, video card, no HDDs or optical drives attached, and all but 1 stick of ram (verified RAM was fine in another machine)-- same result.
Changed PSUs--got a brand new one - same result.

I don't get a diagnostic beep at all. Sound dead to you?

Sounds dead...last ditch effort, remove-replace CPU. It's odd, but I've had one come back from the dead like that. If you had another CPU to try that would be ideal.

Sounds dead...last ditch effort, remove-replace CPU. It's odd, but I've had one come back from the dead like that. If you had another CPU to try that would be ideal.

I will try that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Why after all this time though? Gremlins?

Mobo not dead. No need to reseat CPU. Turns out CMOS battery was dead. Weird for a 7 month old board....

A PC will start without the CMOS battery, sounds like you cleared the CMOS

Did you read my first thread?

Here's where I found the solution:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...2&id=20090503193554831&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

What was the solution any modern PC will run and work fine with a dead or removed CMOS battery?

Try it your self remove the CMOS battery and start up your machine, don't clear your CMOS jumper settings, or remove the power or it will start on default settings.

I'm typing this on a PC with a removed CMOS battery.

The CMOS battery is only used when you turn off the PSU, or pull the cord from the outlet, or have the power go out at the wall socket you PC is plugged into, the CMOS battery will to save your settings you made in Bios.:)

Seeing is believing, pull the battery and start it up.:cool:

Last edited:
ive seen a lot of mother boards that wont boot with a dead cmos battery came across this many times
Rich
You will at least get into the bios screen because the drive boot can be off.

It's a myth that you need a CMOS battery to get your PC to the post screen or CMOS error messages .

QUOTE:Will a dead cmos battery cause a computer to not boot up?
LINK:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090804163208AAtqYPQ

QUOTE:CMOS battery shouldn't render your system completely
LINK:http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r0704/08r04/08r04.asp

QUOTE: If the CMOS RAM loses power, the computer may not know anything about the hard disk configuration of your machine, and therefore it cannot boot.

Many more modern computers are not quite so dependent on the CMOS RAM. They store the settings in non-volatile RAM that works without any power at all. If the battery goes dead, the clock fails but the computer can still boot using the information in the non-volatile RAM area.

Why does my computer need a battery?
LINK:http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question319.htm

So all computers from the beginning of PC's will post or CMOS error messages without a Battery.

This is the best I can show, i've been working on PC's from the beginning.

Last edited:
Maybe the combination of replacing the battery with a new one and clearing the CMOS again is what cured it? All I know is I am up and running again!

Thx

Back