• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck between 2 asus mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

docdip

Registered
I narrowed my choices down to these to mobos by asus...

ASUS P6X58D Premium

ASUS Rampage III Extreme

The main issue is the configuration of the pci-e slots, the rampage 3 has more slots and more variation, the p6x58d optimally allows 16x 16x 1x but the cards would be right next to each other restricting airflow. The third pci-e slot always remains at 1x unless a third card is installed in which it would change to 8x. However otherwise I heard this board is amazing, so I was just wondering which board you guys think I should go for! My pc is getting more and more expensive so if there isnt a substantial benefit going with the rampage 3 then ill just get the p6x58d. thanks!

Don't always be fooled by the number of slots. Are you planning on running SLI? Unless you are planning to run Tri SLI, then I wouldn't worry too much. You will still have an open PCIe on both and an open PCIex1 on the P6X58D and a PCIeX8 (Running 4?) on the Rampage. Keep in mind though, the RAMPAGE unlike the P6X58D does not have on board sound, so it requires (the included) dedicated soundcard which will fill the x1 slot. So in reality its a wash.

I can't imagine why someone would want to actually run TRI SLI considering the issues already given just running 2X SLI unless you just want to bench for numbers. A TV card?
Theres really not too many things I can think of off hand to fill the last slot.

The only real benefit for us overclockers on the RAMPAGE is its ROG interface, which can be nice for benching, but for everyday use, there really is no need for it.

As far as restricting airflow goes, don't worry, it has been looked at plenty by both the GPU and Motherboard manufacturers. There is plenty of space.

If your just worried about the slot numbers, don't both are pretty even. If your worried about Air, don't both are considered top end boards. In the end, I think it really comes down to price and aesthetics. I hope this helps.

Edit: WOOOPS! I didn't realize the Rampage III does have on board sound. So yeah, you will have one extra x1 slot (for all the good that does you.) So basically you will be using it for something like guess what......a dedicated sound card.

from what I have seen, it seems that the rampage is a better clocker. if you are a bencher thats prolly the way to go, flip a coin

Gaming and everyday 24/7 use grab the P6X58D
Benching / bragging rights HUGE epeen grab the REX III :D

The question to ask youself is .... what do I want from my PC, once you know set a budget and pick a board, why pay for something you'll never use?

I had troubles with Rampage III Extreme, but I think it was just a one time fluke, got it repaired and stuff.

Anyways, amazing board, I'd recommend in a heartbeat!

save yourself some money to use toward something else. Go for the P6X58D unless your trying to break a 3dmark record or something with Tri or Quad GPU setup.

the build quality and support for the rampage is excellent tho ull see and feel a massive difference, but like they say unless ur going to use the board from what its meant for or massive bench marks then i wouldnt bother but the rampage would be my choice. (one of the nicest looking boards out there to :)

thanks for all you're help guys, newegg actually has to board on sale now for about $330, so i decided to just get the rampage 3 because it was only $30 more than the p658xd premium.

i would try ebay you will get a bargain there they sell for around £200-£230 new or even cheaper for a second hand one if you dont mind using a second hand mobo ( i personally wouldnt)

If you are planning to play games and use pc 24/7 on light oc then better idea is to get P6X58D-E. It's almost the same board as Premium and overclocks the same but about 20-30% cheaper. I bet that you won't see difference between P6X58 and Rampage unless you try extreme oc. Both P6X58-E/Premium have 16+8+8 or 16+16+1 pcie setup that can be changed manually in bios.

yea true i surpose it depends on what you looking for the rampage is a extreme overclocking board and wont let ya down but if you dont expect to overclock to much then i would save your self the cash, all the republic or gamers branded boards are good tho even the striker etc...

Back