• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: ASUS P5Q PRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsho44

Alright, a couple forums havent answers in the past few days. Let me explain everything that has happened.

In the beginning of May, my computer suddenly stopped working. Fans spun, everything. I go to a University, and had built this system in the summer of 09. It worked fine up until May. I said I am going to focus on finals and mess with it this summer. So here I am. This weekend I built a system for my parents, I got their system up and running. I bought them the same case I have, and tested everything (well tried) on their system

I had everything plugged in, turned the system on,
Suddenly there was a spark of heat by the first RAM slot, wiith smoke following. Of course I am freaking out and unplugged the system.

So, is this motherboard done? I suppose I just killed the warranty or is there any possible way to RMA this sucker. PS I have yet to test my power supply because I never have figured out if the motherboard is the issue.

THANKS A TON!

the board could have earthed to the case, cant see another way for this to happen even if the ram was installed incorrectly ive never known a board die from it not sure if asus will refund or exchange tho as it may not have been faulty before it was installed, just return it to the company you bought it from and just say it wont fire up they should just refund or replace 90% of companys wont test it theyl just send it back to asus, dont let that put you of the board tho they are good boards . and yes sparks and smoke usually indicate the board is done lol.

the board could have earthed to the case, cant see another way for this to happen even if the ram was installed incorrectly ive never known a board die from it not sure if asus will refund or exchange tho as it may not have been faulty before it was installed, just return it to the company you bought it from and just say it wont fire up they should just refund or replace 90% of companys wont test it theyl just send it back to asus, dont let that put you of the board tho they are good boards . and yes sparks and smoke usually indicate the board is done lol.

Thanks for the response. I bought it a year ago from Newegg so I dont think I can send it back to them

Thanks for the response. I bought it a year ago from Newegg so I dont think I can send it back to them

Just email them. Explain the situation. They're pretty helpful.

My first guess was that there was a problem with the ram. Testing it on your parents system probably wasn't THE move...

I had the same problem before. Whenever the fans spin but you get nothing on the screen, nine times out of ten it's the ram.

Just email them. Explain the situation. They're pretty helpful.

My first guess was that there was a problem with the ram. Testing it on your parents system probably wasn't THE move...

I had the same problem before. Whenever the fans spin but you get nothing on the screen, nine times out of ten it's the ram.

So should I test the RAM on their motherboard or is that a bad idea

So should I test the RAM on their motherboard or is that a bad idea

Hook a PC speaker up to the mobo, remove all ram and power up you should hear a long continuing beep, replace the ram it should stop.
The remove the GPU and power up you should hear 1 Long and 2 short beeps, replace the gpu it should stop, if you dont get this to happen you can safely say your mobo is borked and its RMA time

So call Asus 812-282-2787
jump through all the hoops, after a few mins you'll get your RMA number and a email on how to ship the board out to have it replaced/repaired.

Back