• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Extreme Selling Price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgenitorVirus

Registered
Hi there,

I had problems with an ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard, sent it in, got the audio repaired. When it came back though, a small piece of fuzz was attached to my fingernail, and on installing the CPU bent 1 pin.

Now, ASUS don't warranty bent pins, and 1366 boards are horrible to try and rebend. I cut my losses and bought a new board, but am looking to sell this one on eBay or something, and wanted to know what you people would think is a fair price I should charge for the board because of this bent pin? (CAD Dollar Amounts if you could please)

Thanks for the help!

board retails for around $449 bucks canadian.
If it were me I'd send the board in and pay the 25-50 bucks to have Asus fix the pin.
try to post a very clear photo of the socket area but I'd say your going to take a 50% hit on price, if you market your ad right on ebay you might do better.

You can fix the pin yourself if its just bent and not broken, many users here have fixed them b4 with some steady hands and alot of patience. Maybe start a thread asking for advice/help on fixing it first?

ASUS charges $80-100 for socket repair. If it's just one bent pin you might as well try to fix it yourself since you've got nothing to lose at this rate. Use a small safety pin to try to pull it back into place. Once you get the hang of it, unbending pins isn't that difficult. If you end up mutilating the socket further, just send it in to ASUS and pay the fee. It'll sell for way higher if it actually works.

I bent a few pins on my PGA Athlon 64 X2 5200+ and it was a breeze to straighten out. I just used a plastic giftcard/credit card and slowly cycled through the rows until they were all straight enough to fit back in the socket.

ASUS charges $80-100 for socket repair. If it's just one bent pin you might as well try to fix it yourself since you've got nothing to lose at this rate. Use a small safety pin to try to pull it back into place. Once you get the hang of it, unbending pins isn't that difficult. If you end up mutilating the socket further, just send it in to ASUS and pay the fee. It'll sell for way higher if it actually works.

I had my Maximus X38 repaired, rushing a cpu change and mangled 4 pins, sent to Asus and they charged me 35 dollars Canadian to fix it... 80-100 is quite the increase in 2 years

try using a ball point pen and remove the ink tube thing so u have the hole open in the bottom of the pen then slide the pin in and use the pen to tilt and bend the pin straight, these are expensive boards on ebay they sell for around £200-£230 new asus charge atleast £80 to repair the pin on that board so ide say half the selling price atleast but when i bought my maximus 2 from ebay the maximus 3 second hand was selling at around £130, its a shame ide try and get the board repaired.

i will give you 10 darra for it...

*ninja*

lol..just joking. Hope you get it fixed, if you dont feel like trying and want to sell it shoot me a PM with a price. I am looking at another R3E board for my computer....just as long as the current one I am working on starts to show hope instead of no hope...LOL

How bad is the pin bent? If it's not too bad, you might just be able to straighten it out with a small wire or something.

Back