• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel board and sata 6Gb/s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eyecan'tcode

Registered
Is there an intel based board that has 3+ sata 6Gb/s connections? I've checked and All I see is boards with only 2 of these connections. I'd look to spend about $250. The board would have to have easy bios OC features that work properly.

We're basically waiting for Intel to revamp their chipsets - not going to happen until 2011. Otherwise, the 3rd party SATA 6G chipsets are talking to the system over PCIe 1.0 lanes and end up being bottlenecked by the interface to the Intel chipset :( I haven't seen a 3rd party chip with more than 2 SATA 6G ports ATM...

Unless you are running 3x FAST SSD's, then SATA 6G really won't buy you much (ESPECIALLY with mechanichal hard drives).

Now, USB3 is a whole nother ballgame with even a laptop hard drive (USB2 = SLOW!!!!) :)

:cool:

My intent is to purchase sata 6G when at all possible, whether it be ssd or mechanical. I'm really seriously considering AMD being it's chipsets have 6 sata 6G.

You really don't think mechanical will take advantage of 6G?

You really don't think mechanical will take advantage of 6G?
Not in the slightest. The 32MB of cache might get a SMALL bump with SATA 6G - but a mechanical HD is not even saturating SATA-I speeds - much less SATA-II speeds - and not even using 1/3 of SATA 6G's available bandwidth.

The next gen SSD's will be the only drives to truly take advantage of SATA 6G.

I'd worry more about USB3 as the gains it provides are immediately realized even with a 5400 RPM Laptop Drive! (USB2 = approx 35MB/s max :( )

AMD is all over Intel with regards to USB3 and SATA 6G support ATM. I think the fact that Intel effectively chopped off their 3rd party chipset makers at the knees by not opening up DMI & QPI is making them a bit too complacent in their current line up (still usig PCIe 1.0 on the P55 and no native USB3 or SATA 6G until 2011 :mad: ).

I'd worry more about USB3 as the gains it provides are immediately realized even with a 5400 RPM Laptop Drive! (USB2 = approx 35MB/s max :( )

AMD is all over Intel with regards to USB3 and SATA 6G support ATM. I think the fact that Intel effectively chopped off their 3rd party chipset makers at the knees by not opening up DMI & QPI is making them a bit too complacent in their current line up (still usig PCIe 1.0 on the P55 and no native USB3 or SATA 6G until 2011 :mad: ).

Sad for me:( I've been faithful to intel even during the days where AMD had the upperhand on performance. Now, when it seems intel has the upperhand on performance, I'll be going the AMD route. this is a sad day for me.....................................................Well, I'm over it now:D

Just keep in mind - you want SATA 6G but won't really see ANY appreciable benefit from it. Is that worth ditching Intel's upper-handed CPU performance in favor of AMD? I think not :p

You can always add a PCIe x4 SATA 6G + USB3 Combo Card for $29 :D I'd probably go that route if I was you - but AMD is nothing to shake a stick at (cheap unlocked CPUs, and a dirt cheap 6-Core to choose from). Intel also has plenty of MoBo's with USB3 and SATA 6G - just not "native" to the Intel chipsets.

Keep the big picture in mind - and the real world performance implicatons of SATA 6G (practically nil unless you wait for the high-dollar next-gen SSD's)...

You can always add a PCIe x4 SATA 6G + USB3 Combo Card for $29 :D I'd probably go that route if I was you - but AMD is nothing to shake a stick at (cheap unlocked CPUs, and a dirt cheap 6-Core to choose from). Intel also has plenty of MoBo's with USB3 and SATA 6G - just not "native" to the Intel chipsets.

But using the pcie route for sata 6G will cause a bottlekneck right? I thougt one couldn't use the usb 3.0 and sata 6 and the same time with using up pcie lanes:confused:

Is that worth ditching Intel's upper-handed CPU performance in favor of AMD? I think not :p

How much of a performance advantage (if any at all) does intel have over AMD in the realworld for the average user?

But using the pcie route for sata 6G will cause a bottlekneck right? I thougt one couldn't use the usb 3.0 and sata 6 and the same time with using up pcie lanes:confused:

How much of a performance advantage (if any at all) does intel have over AMD in the realworld for the average user?

depends on the card the one using 4x pcie 2.0 lanes will have more then enough bandwidth for both usb3.0 and sata 6g. though im not sure why you think you need USB 3.0 and/or SATA 6G or SATA III right now... im not sure why anyone needs either right now. there is maybe what 2 devices that use USB 3.0 and they are for external HD's. SATA III just got started and takes time for HD manufactures to release products around that standard. much less a drive (mechanical) that will show any improvement using it. only motherboards with onboard SATA III and USB 3.0 have this issue of things slowing down. its the way the implemented the onboard (3rd party) controller.

Depending on what you do in the RW you may not see any difference performance wise from intel to amd. if you do lots of encoding of videos or 3d rendering intel all the way. if you have a intel system now that does what you want but you just want the SATA III feature, just get the add-in card...

So other than Triple channel memory and running dual vid cards at 16x, what other advantages does 1366 have over 1156.

Those are the main 2 - but 1366 also has 6-core support (at least for the 980x - I'm sure a socket change is in the works as we speak :) ). The QPI interface to the Northbridge is also a lot fatter than the DMI on the 1156 - but the fact that the 1156 has the Video Lanes on the CPU itself negates some of that benefit.

I recently had to decide, and I went with an i7 890 (1156) and an Asus P7P55D-E Pro. I have no complaints ATM :)

Back