• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very wierd video problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compwizpro

Registered
I have a HIS radeon hd 4890, evga 750i ftw sli, q6600 2.4ghz, ultra 650w psu and 4gb ocz sli ready ddr2 800mhz ram. Starting today, whenever I boot my computer, the windows 7 splash screen appears then goes away leaving my monitor with a blank screen(but is still on indicated by the green led instead of amber). Then the logging on screen appears for about 6 seconds and then after that blank screen but still green led which as far as I know means the video card is still supplying the monitor with a signal.

I am able to remote desktop into the machine and get a screen on the remote computer and am able to run all programs normally from there. Whenever I remote into the computer, the monitor comes back on with the logon screen for about 6 seconds and then goes back to blank with green led. If I am quick enough, I am able to log back in and use the computer for about 6 seconds before the screen goes blank again. It even happens when I go into the BIOS and after about 6 seconds in there, the screen goes blank.

I've tried resetting the bios, reseating and replacing the video card with an evga gtx 210 and same thing happens. Tried different pci-e slots as well.

Im leaning towards a bad mobo but is really strange as I am able to operate the computer just fine while remoting in through remote desktop from another machine.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

You know the more I think about it that seems to me the most if not only logical solution. Thanks for mentioning that, I will try it when I get home.

You know the more I think about it that seems to me the most if not only logical solution. Thanks for mentioning that, I will try it when I get home.

:D Let me know how it works out. Also if your second monitor doesn't work try that video card in a different system if you can.

I'm thinking it has to be the monitor because the system functions just fine when remote desktoped in. I don't think it would allow connections if the video card was failing or the motherboard, cpu, ram for that matter. I have tried another video card in and I get the same exact problem.

Also like I mentioned earlier, the indicater on the monitor is green instead of amber so it is recieving a signal from the videocard to keep the monitor active instead of put it in standby.

I should be home in a few hours so I will let you know then.

Thanks for all the responses.

sounds like its monitor problem defo, if you have tried a different card and that didnt it cant be much else except mobo cant see both cards being dodgy, good luck hope you fix it.

Yep. It definatly was the monitor. I guess il try and get a replacement. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back