• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first OC, looking for suggestions.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

errfoil

(GA-X58A-UD3R) My first OC, looking for suggestions.......

Greetings,

I just build a new box and used the most excellent "3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 – Updated!" by miahallen.

Following the guide I got a max Bclk of 200. I didn't adjust Vtt when it BSOD'd at 210 because 200 was fine with me.

Max mem freq was 1520Mhz with stock volts of 1.6, again BSOD at 1600MHz but 1520MHz seemed fine as I didn't want to push the memory volts too hard anyway.

Step 3 of guide: Worked my way through the Bclks just fine at Vcore of 1.30v until Bclk of 190. BSOD at 190 and CPU Vcore of 1.3250v,1.3375v; next I bumped Vtt from 1.215v to 1.255v and Vcore to 1.3500v, 1.3625v until I was finally stable at 1.375v
IOH Core is 1.300v per the guide.

My goal was Bclk of 190 because with a Memory multi of x8 that gives me my stable Mem Freq of 1520MHz.

The snapshot below was after an hour with Prime95 and no errors. Core temps seem a bit high? (all voltages are per the bold volts above)

Where should I go from here? Should I back off to Bclk of 180 and lower the Vcore, it seemed to take a lot of CPU voltage to get from 180 to 190?

How about Turbo (current disabled), is it useful, if I turn it on should I change from x21 to x20?

This computer is my daily driver, lots of multitasking including video encoding, hopefully gaming in the near future. Any advice is greatly appreciated (this is my first OC, please type slowly:))

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Back