• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Stable X58 MB / RAM for i7 980x with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calirad

I have been OCing for many years, but I must say my last experience left something to be desired. It was my first NVIDIA experience ... and more than likely my last. I am about to RMA the 2nd 790i mainboard in 6 months. This one won't stablize with everything at stock settings. :bang head

Replacing these Components:
-- Intel Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz (OC'd to 3.8GHz stable at 71*F)
-- EVGA nforce 790i Ultra SLI (132-CK-NF79-A1)
-- OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR3 1600 (OCZ3P1600EB4GK) x4 (I have x6)
With these Components:
-- Intel i7 980x Gulftown 3.33GHz
-- ?? Mainboard ??
-- ?? Memory ??
Keeping these Components:
-- XFX 9800 GTX Black Edition * EVGA 9800 GTX SSC
-- WD Raptor X 150GB x2 * WD Raptor X 300GB x2
-- Samsung SATA DVD-ROM * Samsung SATA LightScribe DVD Writer
-- Swiftech MCP655 x2 * Black Ice Extreme III Radiator w/6 Ultra Kaze
-- Koolance/EK NB, SB, VREG, CPU, and Video water blocks and connectors
-- ThermalTake ArmorPlus (6000BWHS) * SilverStone ZM1200M
Adding these Components:
-- Audio Card To Be Determined
-- BluRay Drive
-- Water Cooling blocks, connectors, pumps, rads, etc as needed

As such, I am hunting a mainboard for use with the i7 980x CPU. I want a stable mainboard. I want to hit 4.5-5GHz stable on water. This should be achievable with a 68*F ambient, dual 360 radiators with 3-6ea Ultra Kaze 133.6 CFM fans, dual loops, and MCP655s.

Has anyone found a stable mainboard for OCing the 980x to 4+GHz? If so, which board and which memory did you use?

Everyone's probably going to vote according to their own preferences, but honestly just about any quality board will let you hit your goals. The Gigabyte camp will say UD7, the eVGA camp will say Classified, and the ASUS camp will probably say R3E. I'd personally lean towards the ASUS P6T's or P6X58's...but I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I'm sitting at 4.7 on a nearly two-year old P6T Deluxe. If you ask me, the older stuff is better simply because it's more mature and free of headaches.

Absolutely love the P6T Deluxe.

I've had most of the other boards as well. Whenever I had an issue on another board I could always count on the P6T Deluxe to work....it just works.

I never liked Asus x58 boards but got new P6X58-E and I really like it. Really stable and no problems with any hardware ( at least for me as I saw complains about bigger memory kits above 6GB ). Your DDR3-1600 kits are enough if you won't try to break world records ;)
I like this part -> "I want to hit 4.5-5GHz stable on water. " :D
All boards are good to oc above 4GHz+. I'm running i7 [email protected] 24/7. Checking now friend's cpu that is working on 4.3GHz since yesterday but has max 212 bclk and can't post above that :-/ ... 980x won't have problems with bclk.

Back