• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade my mobo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dougie2k5

Hello everyone im new to the site so first of i'll start by saying hello to you all. Then onto matters at hand - i want to upgrade my mobo but for the mean time i want to stay on socket 775 but i would like an extremely overclockable one coz i want to ramp up my q6600 and get the most i can out of it. Now i won't profess to be an expert but i have a fair knowledge of computers, but i've never dabbled into overclocking before so any help would be great on that topic also. Thanks in advance guys..............

Hello everyone im new to the site so first of i'll start by saying hello to you all. Then onto matters at hand - i want to upgrade my mobo but for the mean time i want to stay on socket 775 but i would like an extremely overclockable one coz i want to ramp up my q6600 and get the most i can out of it. Now i won't profess to be an expert but i have a fair knowledge of computers, but i've never dabbled into overclocking before so any help would be great on that topic also. Thanks in advance guys..............

:welcome:

There are some more overclockable boards out there, that said, your 650i might clock a little (mine did), get into the BIOS and set the fsb to 1333, should give you 3.0ghz. I'm betting you won't have to adjust anything (maybe manually set the RAM to 1066 instead of auto) to get that. Your board should clock a little.

As far as rockstar 775 mobos, look for a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P or a BIOSTAR i45 T-Power. I have gotten a 533 fsb on both of those motherboards...I doubt you will get that high with a 65nm quad like the q6600, but 3.6ghz-3.8ghz isn't unheard of. If your wanting to stick with Nvidia chipsets, look for a used eVga 780i or eVga 780i Digital...steer clear of the Strikers and 680i. My 2 cents...I'm sure there are plenty of other boards that will get the job done, those are just some I have had a good time with.

:welcome: to the forums

good choice of cpu i love my q6600 quad

try an asus maximus 2 formula like me, im running my q6600 at 3.4ghz right now but i have pushed it to 3.8ghz without any problems although that will depend on your chip there all different, i have had other q6600 that would only get to 3.6ghz but that is still a huge overclockfor a 2.4ghz quad.

i would like to state that im running a corsair h50 and currently upgrading to a full loop.

the asus maximus is a great board for overclocking it has a easy to read bios with plenty of features for overclockers (including cpu lvl up), the entire board has been made trying to make overclocking easier (which is why i chose it) this is a very popular board so theres loads of support out there on sites and on here.
the entire board features passive cooling to all the main components on the motherboard like northbridge/southbridge and is linked with copper heatpipes which does a great job of keeping those components cool when increasing voltage. it can handle plenty of ram (16gb maz) in ddr2 so you can keep your current ram. i also like were the power cable is, its in a nice spot for keeping cable management tidy and has 6 main sata ports and 2 speeding hdd slots.
the one thing that might put you of this motherboard is i have been told it only supports crossfire and not sli which wasnt a problem for me as i only use ati radeon vga cards but if you wish to use sli you cannot with this board but i do believe it will work with single nvidea vga cards.
i would also like to point out the amount of stuff you get when buying this board new, the instruction book is huge and packed with easy to read info, it also comes with 4 sata cables 1 ide and floppy cable 2 extra usb and a firewire port, an optional cooling fan and the lcd poster which is really handy for finding faults and the supremeFX x-fi sound card is included to.

i might have put a little bit to much info there and gone a little overboard :) i just found this board to be excellent when overclocking my q6600 and the other cpus i have tried it with.
it may be a little on the expensive side tho but you get what you pay for believe me, out of all the boards i have tried this wins hands down.

saying that i have heard evga have been making some really good boards lately personally im an asus fan so i cant comment on other boards, i hope i helped and gave you another option to think about.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_maximus_ii_formula_p45_motherboard/1

theres a link to one review but if you google it you will find hundreds, also might wanna check youtube for full reviews.

Last edited:
I'll second a P45 board or evga if you want sli!

I have used
Asus p5q-e and Tpower, I would give the nod to Asus for lower volt overclock and easier overclock but the Tpower did take the CPU farther with same system...

Back