• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZBoomer

Registered
Hey, just got my build up and running the other day. Everything is stock as of now but i am noticing some squealing noises coming from the MB which transfers through the speakers depending on how loud they are turned up.

Did some searching and found it is cause by CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) being enabled (only does it when the system is idling as it lowers the voltage and multipliers). When i disable it, there is no noise or interference what so ever.

In my case, with a stock system, what are some pros and cons of having it enabled vs disabled? I did notice my idle temps we up about 2-3C degrees with it disabled. I also have the CM V8 HSF.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lowering voltages = less heat. Plus you don't notice when your CPU load is low enough, which is when it kicks in. Pretty much all it does is lower your idle temps. Your load temps, which are more important, should remain the same.

Gigabyte is working on a bios fix for coil whine noise from the VRM.

CIE is just a power saving feature it cut's your voltage with no load.

Thanks for all the info guys! I guess its not really bothering me too bad. I may just wait to see if they release a new BIOS update before i try anything else.

Back