• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So finally ready to continue on with my rig build, question on MB Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krygon

Registered
After a move and continuing to run a business I finally got some money set back to finish my rig. The case, HD, DVD drive, PSU and cables and stuff are already bought along with a win 7 64 bit key/cd.

Now I am on to the last things. MB, Ram, Video Card and CPU.
I am going from a xp3000 barton with 2.5 gigs ram and a 6800 GT AGP card and want better performance in my gaming and have set aside $400 for the final 4.

My question comes is a very cheap I core better than a decent dual core/core 2 duo cpu like a e7500?
The motherboard question for this forum is most 775 sockets seem to be DDR2 but lately I have seen some DDR3's pop up.
Is the difference in memory types good enough to justify the higher cost of the motherboard and ram costs or would DDR2 be just about as good?
If this was your rig and you had that set price to work with for all 4, what route would you take?

If your going to build a new system purchase the i core quad with DDR3 Ram.

It will cost just a little bit more than 775 and have a little more performance in gaming, if you turn off the hyperthread-HT.

If your budget won't allow you to purchase a quad still purchase the i dual.

Gaming Performance: Core i7 vs. Core 2 Quad. The dual core 775 and i3-5 will scale the same.
LINK:http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/CPU/Gaming-Performance-Core-i7-vs-Core-2-Quad/Page-2.html

Last edited:
Back