• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8 - Problem when case fans connected to on-board headers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PreteRosso

[Note: See my system configuration below.]

A number of problems occur in my system when the case fans are connected to the Fan 1, Fan 2, and Fan 3 headers on the motherboard. The particular set of problems depends on the type of fans connected. When the three included 140 mm case fans are connected, the following symptoms result:
1. The monitor cycles between different input options during the POST, never displaying the BIOS POST page. The first visual output is the Windows 7 splash screen (unless the delete key is pressed during the POST; see below).​
2. Pressing the delete key during the POST almost never causes the BIOS configuration screen to be displayed. Instead, a flashing cursor appears at the top left corner of the screen and remains indefinitely. (Ordinarily, this would quickly transition to the configuration screen.) The likelihood of the configuration screen being displayed appears to increase as the number of connected fans decreases, with the screen always being displaying when none are connected. Also, clearing the CMOS appears to make it easier to bring up the configuration screen initially, but the likelihood decreases as more power cycles are performed.​
3. The error message "AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED - BAD CMOS CHECKSUM - DEFAULTS LOADED" is sometimes displayed on startup. This can be gotten past by pressing F1, after which Windows loads normally. (I have only encountered this once.)​
4. The HDD does not show up in the list of attached drives in Windows or in the device manager. Searching for hardware changes in the device manager will cause the HDD to be detected. Upon rebooting, the problem reappears.​

I have been unable to locate any data on the fans included with the case. I have available from my old case three Lian Li LI121225BL-4 120mm fans that are rated for DC 12 V and 0.27 A current (not sure of the RPM). When three of these are attached, the symptoms are more mild: symptom 1 only happens sometimes, and the BIOS configuration page can be accessed normally; I have never seen symptom 3, but symptom 4 persists.

Of course, when no case fans are connected, everything works flawlessly.

This is all pretty annoying, as the most natural thing to do is to connect the fans to the motherboard, and I don't really want to bypass it and use the PSU directly (also, I will have to order or otherwise hunt down the Molex adapters). The second set of fans worked fine in my previous system for years, and it seems unlikely that they are demanding too much power from this one. (Allowable current is typically 1 A?)

Several other people have encountered similar issues. See http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240837 and http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10006. One guy boiled it down to his fan speed controller (he doesn't say explicitly whether he can connect fans without trouble), while the other doesn't seem to have found a solution (notice that he has the same kind of case as me).

Have other users of this board experienced similar issues? Is there a known workaround? Is the problem limited to a certain production run? Any help you can offer will be most appreciated. :)

System Configuration
Case: Corsair 800D w/ stock fans
PSU: Corsair HX 850 W (CMPSU-850HX)
Motherboard: DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8
CPU & Cooling: Intel Core i7 930 w/ ProLimaTech Megahalems Rev. B cooler & 2 x Yate Loon D12SH-12 120 mm fans in push-pull configuration; both connected to CPU fan header on motherboard
RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair DDR3 2000 MHz DIMM (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 x2
SSD (boot device): Western Digital SiliconEdge Blue 128GB (SSC-D0128SC-2100)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB (WD2001FASS)
Optical Drive: LITE-ON 12x BD-R (iHBS112)
BIOS: 4/29/10 revision w/ fail-safe defaults (i.e., CMOS-reset settings)

Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

You definitely have a strange issue, I really wouldn't think those fans would be drawing too much current from the mobo. However the option of connecting them to the psu seems like the easiest solution. A quick ebay search yields adapters for under $1 each. You can even get ones that take power from the psu, but run a wire and connector to the mobo to report the fan speed. BUT, that may be the root of the problem anyway. Have you tried flashing the bios?

Yes, I have flashed the latest BIOS, but the problem remains the same. I will try your idea about the Molex adapters that plug into the motherboard.

Last edited:
Problem solved!

Connecting the two available 5V/12V power headers on the motherboard eliminates all of the symptoms mentioned above. The manual doesn't mention the need to do this (along with a lot of other things!). This approach did not work for another user of this board on another forum (the first link given above) who was having a nearly identical problem, so I had put it out of my mind. Duh.

Back