• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help overclocking DX58S0 past 3.7GHZ and ram past 12300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ellidor

Registered
Hello guys ok here is my problem there are actually two of them I got a brand new Intel i7 940 chip with the Intel DX58s0 MB... When I go to overclock it I have no problem overclocking it to 3.7 GHZ stable Host clock Frequency is set to 154. Now the maximum voltage I am willing to risk my chip is 1.3v however 1.2875 from what I read is the maximum recommended voltage for chip to board ratio with this setup. As soon as I raise my multiplier to 155 or above and stress test it will crash and 160 for 3.8 ghz wont even boot fully into windows. I have 8 GB of Corsair Dominator CMP4GX3M2A1600c8 ram running at 1.66 V 8 8 8 24... However if I use the XMP Profile provided with the ram it crashes the system as well. From what I read the DX58s0 will support 1600 ram... I am really confused why most people have no problem overclocking the i7 920 to 4GHZ yet I cannot get my 940 past 3.7GHZ. PS at 3.7GHZ I am running 42 Celcius I have a TT Case with Black Widow 850 PS and Corsair Air Cooler + Brick which takes up half of my case for cpu cooling. If anybody else has any sugestions at all on how I can get my rig to goto 4ghz and maybe maximize my ram to the 1600 it was designed to run or is this board that big of a piece of crap that it just wont do anymore. Thank you

i have the same board as you with the i7 930 i just oc'd mine to 4.0 tonight and it passes a 20 min stress test. it did underclock the memory (Corsair Dominators) to 1392mhz though (working on stabilizing that next). i have a Cooler Master V8 and my system is running pretty hot i need better cooling, BUT dont lose hope on the board. it does have other problems i wont get into but it will get the cpu to 4.0 and above.

right now here are my specs. i did autotune to beyond manufacturer's limit and heres what i got with some bumping of the host clock (stable after 1 hour test)

Multiplier: 21
Mhz: 174
V: 1.2875

A: 110
W: 130
1-core: 23
2,3,4-core: 22

hope that helps

UGH :(

I just used those exact settings on my 940 and it wont go above 3.7 stable... I got a 20 min stress test on 3.75 but then when I used 3dMark Vantage it crashed my system blue screen. Every single time I try to take my system above 3.7 it blue screen dumps on boot. Maybe its just the 940 because the clocking is slightly different then the 920 and 930. one of hte major differences I see between the 920-930 and then the 940 is the multiplier... On a 940 the multiplier goes to 24,23,23,23 whereass the 920 and 930 do 23,22,22,22 This is probably whats causing me all this difficulty with my multiplier being higher I cannot find a way to change it to a lower multiplier for the 940 so no matter what i do I will not be able to completly replicate your settings. Which makes me wonder if the 940 is an inferior chipset to the 920 and 930 :) if anybody else has any other ideas let me know here is what I have so far.

Multiplier 22
Host Clock Freq 154/// Becomes very unstable if I up this anymore then this number
CPU Voltage 1.2875

Current Max 110
Power Max 130
1-core Multiplier 24
2-core Multiplier 23
3-core Multiplier 23
4-core Multiplier 23
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory Settings...

tCL 8
tRCD 8
tRP 8
tRAS 24

tWR 8
tRFC 59
tRBD 4
tWTR 4

Uncore Multiplier 16
DDR Multiplier 8
Memory Voltage (V) 1.66
Command Rate 2
----------------------------------

Video Card is overclocked as well Nvidia 295

Core Clock Settings 684
Memory Clock Settings 1107
Shader Clock Settings 1474

Any Suggestions please advise thank you :)

Last edited:
your processor needs more voltage. if your cooling cant handle more voltage then thats the limit of your OC. i have my voltage upwards of 1.4V so i think you could handle 1.35V even on stock cooling. up it test it and if it dosent help take it back down and look at something else.

Multi: 20
BClk: 200
RAM set to 8-8-8-24 w/ a 2:8 divier (will default to 1600mhz)
Set DRam voltage at 1.66v
VCore voltage at 1.35v
Enable the voltage drop setting (put it on the middle setting)
QPI voltage put at 1.25-1.26v

See what that does. Also, turn off speedstep, C1E, turboboost for now while getting a stable overclock.

ok I Doz I worked the ram around a bit... I was unable to get it to 1600 however 1530 stable I was... Ran Prime 95 for 4 hours at 3.67 ghz... Host clock at 153 MHZ... Voltage doesnt seam to matter whether I bump it to 1.4 or 1.2 it still crashes above 3.7 GHZ... However the memory... 8-8-8-24 DDR Multiplier 10 and Uncore Multiplier 20 1.66 Volts with uncore Voltage at 1.28v sets the ram to 1530 MHZ and is very stable 4 hours on prime 95 no crashes no overheating seams to be smoking... Still unable to get the proccessor to go up any higher no matter what I do stable... But ram is almost to the 1600 which it was designed for :) Thanks for the advise if you have any more please post a reply.

Respectfully;
Ellidor

Oooh, one thing I remember with this board, if you set the blck higher, 200 say like I stated above, you must change the memory multiplier to 8 (2:8). You must ALSO change the uncore divider to 16, as it wont change on its own.

Did you try doing that? 200 blck, 20x multi, 8x mem multiplier, 16x uncore (if you do more, you will BSOD or not even boot).

Alright Doz I did exactly what you said to do I turned Turbo Boost off set my blck to 200 made certain that Multi was at 20 so it displayed 4ghz. Went into memmor settings and set it to 8 , 16 so it displayed at 1601 for the ram.... Raised Voltage to 1.35V for cpu ram voltage to 1.66 and 1.25 QPI,,, The computer would not even POST I had to unplug power off power on until the safety kicked in and allowed me to reload my bios defaults. still stuck at 3.67ghz being the stable OC and unable to overclock the computer past that with the ram being at 1530 MHZ... :/ I hate my life right now not really but I wish I could get a little more out of this damn thing :).

PS thank you for all your help :)

Do you have a C0 or D0 stepping?

Also, if you think its your ram, leave your timings alone, and drop the ram divider to 2:6 and change the uncore to 12, then try and up the speed again. Itll drop the ram speed way low, but itll be a quick way to see if its your ram holding you back.

All 940s are C0. When the D0 stepping came out, the 940 was replaced by the 950. I do not believe it is the ram that is holding me back either I think its more the Clocking of the 940. and I have been doing a little research and finding a lot of other people are having the same problem clocking hte 940 above 3.7sh any ideas

Doz what does CO or DO stepping have to do with anything??? am I missing something being that 940s are CO will that affect the way I might be overclocking?>

C0's generally need more voltage than their newer D0 counterparts. That's why he asked.

That intel mobo also isnt a great overclocker, but still should get you past 3.7Ghz...

Have you read the overclocking guide (link in sig) and tried to single out the problem whether its bclk or memory or just a clockspeed limit?

Yeah, try what ED said, and figure out where the issue is. It could be a bclock hole as well. You may have to find the right bclock to go with and it could take a few (maybe many) tries and take some time.

Its been a while since I posted but I finnally got my board to clock to about 4 ghz on an intel i7 940 seams a bit extreme but I will show you what I did and if you could look over everything and verify I am not going to fry my rig it would be appriciated.

First thing I did is because its a i7 940 I changed the multiplier to 21 and raised the voltage to 1.5v and disabled Hyperthreading

100_0056.JPG

Second THing I did was go into my memmory settings and set the memmory multiplier to 8 and the uncore mult to 16
100_0055.JPG

and lastly I set the host frequency to 188 Mhz setting my clock at a nice 3.95 GHZ

When I run Prime 95 it takes the temperature of the core up around 82-84c
win7.jpg

I was wondering if this is dangerous and if I might fry my chip with these settings. Thank you Ellidor :)

Lastly it idles at about 55C - 56c
win72.jpg

I am mostly concerned about running this proccessor at 1.5 volts seams a bit high...

Last edited:
Well I find that running prime 95 eventually crashes even this machine so I bumped the voltage up even a little bit higher.. to 1.5125 and it seams to be running crazy however this is seriously concerning me with the voltage being so high.. Does anybody have any input at all... Is this a dangerous voltage level to run at 1.5125 and is 84-85c at max load dangerous please.... I need some reasurance here I am not going to blow up my machine thanks again :)

Back