• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

I can't get my ASUS P6T deluxe v2 motherboard to boot? It was working fine at last use etc. But fails boot now. I get "One short beep", which on this board indicates:

VGA detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No keyboard detected

I've tried to open bios during startup by pressing and holding Delete key(USB keyboard) or tapping the key, and variations thereof and can hear a small clicking sound from the mobo each time i hit the delete key etc. but the mobo startup/bios etc --nothing appears on screen? I thought maybe I would need to reset the CMOS and I'm new at all this, but my manual shows a jumper cap that needs to be moved over temporarily to clear the stored CMOS RTC RAM, and i did this hoping that I could now how the delete key as before and get into BIOS etc.

But still nothing. Nothing appears on the screen and i still just get the same BIOS beep? Does this mean the mobo is TOAST?

Is there anything else I can try?

I've been using this new mobo about 3 weeks or so now and just 2 days ago i upgraded the power supply to the existing 850W and went to a Radeon 5870 gpu-previously a pair of early Radeon 4870's in crossfire.

After making these two recent upgrades I didn't make any additional changes and the system appeared to work fine -- I only used it for about 2hours. And then shut it off for the night. And the next day I can't get it started?

So I'm stuck. Any ideas. Like I said I'm new to hardware but have modest experience. I'm thinking some how I've damaged the board? If I have I don't mind replacing it, beyond the obvious, but I don't want to damage it "AGAIN".
So I'm wondering what could be the problem?

Appreciate any ideas:(

Tom

Reset the CMOS, yes. Unplug machine, move CMOS jumper, hit power button a few times, wait 10 minutes, move jumper back over and boot.

Hey Earthdog:clap::clap:

Thanks so much. I'm into the BIOS/images on my screen--oh happy days.

I guess I was not waiting long enough or something during the move jumpers clear cmos etc. I even had to do it twice since your advice etc. ???

Anyway things are looking good now that I'm into the BIOS and I hope for the best. I was thinking I'd created some sort of melt down, but didn't exactly see anything weird ocurr and I hadnt done anything all that extreme etc.

Thanks again.really appreciate your help:salute:

Tom

Back