• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Resolved]Newegg gift card horror story

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Simon T

Original post cut, leaving the updates.

UPDATE :

Just received an email from their website department saying the issue was resolved. Will try tomorrow to see if it's actually the case, but right now, I need some sleep. This is looking better than expected, will keep you posted, stay tuned :).

UPDATE #2:

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

See reply below for more info.

UPDATE #3:

The order finally went through! It's now in processing. Seems like it's going to get on with it and have a happy ending afterall *crosses fingers and knocks on wood*.

See 3rd reply below for even more info.

LAST UPDATE: ISSUE SOLVED.

Thanks Newegg and thanks to you guys too. See you on the forums.

Last edited:
Dear Simon T,

On behalf of Newegg I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this is gift card situation has caused.
We understand that in today’s market place a consumer has thousands of options to choose from and customer service is invaluable to establishing customer loyalty. As you stated in your post, you received #1 service with your first order and felt confident in reordering with us again.
With that said, it’s unacceptable that it required multiple contacts to our customer service department to attempt to correct this issue, as this should have been solved in one contact.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured this situation will be addressed with these agents’ supervisors to ensure this isn’t repeated.

From the last posting it seems this issue was resolved. Should you encounter any additional problems please feel free to contact me at
[email protected]
Or by telephone at: 1800-390-1119 to personally ensure this transaction is processed without further issues.

Hrm, newegg actually pops on the OCFourms? that's kind of interesting. They know that bad news travels fast. I've never ordered from newegg, and have thought about it many times before. So if this gets resolved it would definitely strengthen my decision come October when I blow $2500 on a new PC.

There has been a Newegg rep here for a long time. Everyone has a different experience, and mine has been A+ with them. Even if their prices are a little higher, they always get their merchandise ahead of schedule for me, and have not screwed up. Everyone makes mistakes, its how they resolve them that matter, anyway.

I have a question Simon,

Who issued the gift card? I have had situations where a prepaid card didn't work on automated systems as well.

That sounds like a mess...sometimes people slip through the cracks though. I have been pretty loyal to NewEgg for the last 8 years...at least 4 big orders a year and a bunch of little ones. Never had an issue with them. I hope this gets resolved for you.

(Now if they would just start carrying some more water cooling stuff...I hate having to order from more than one vendor all the time. Hint Hint NewEgg guy...)

Answering Noxqzs's question "Who issued the gift card? I have had situations where a prepaid card didn't work on automated systems as well."

One of my uncles, I gave him the money, he bought the card, we should've paid straight up with the credit card for the parts the first way around tho. A bit too late for that now. Be aware that I DON'T own a credit card myself, hence why we thought the gift card would be a "good idea" XD.

To Maverick ( Newegg Support ):
I sent you ( and one of your fellow employee, Amy ) an email with all the screenshots needed to resolve the situation ( cart screenshots, step 1 of checkout and the error window in itself ) as well as notes. I also tried to call you, but alas, you were busy, the representative I contacted at the order placing problem department promised that you, or the department in charge of this kind of problem would call me back. I waited all day, no call yet. And I guess you guys don't work during the weekend. I hope that the 7 days refund window is only for business days. But I still hope that we can resolve this without a refund. I'll be waiting for your update through mail or phone.

Please note, I don't have broadband here ( yet, should be availlable soon *crosses fingers* ) and I HAVE TO use the phone line to connect to the net, thought I'd warn beforehand.

Have a nice weekend!

P.S.: Still no advices for the build from you guys? It's far from being my first, to be honest, I've been at it, overclocking computers ever since the pentium 200mmx / celeron 300a days. Nonetheless I'm curious as I'm less well informed now than I was back then. :p

That really sucks on the issues you have had. As far as newegg goes, I have always had top notch customer service from them. Tiger Direct is closer to me and I always get my orders from them the next day if I order early but I will go with Newegg over them and wait an extra day or two because of the top notch customer service I have always gotten from them.

Customer Service > saving a couple of bucks from another site to me

Edit : I have NEVER used the live chat feature that it looks like you used. I always called them on the phone and had any problems taken care of right away. That whole Live chat thing is crap to me every time I have seen it used by any site.

To Jokerzwyld77:

Seems like they got their act together in the end. The order has went through, now in processing. Should be a walk in the park from now on.

Well, Jay has been really helpfull for what he was allowed to do, I honestly can't say anything bad about him. But as with anything, sometimes someone just gets a bad hair day and is less patient than should be while working at a post like this. I understand that perfectly.

To Maverick ( Newegg Support ) : I don't know what you guys did, but it seems like it's going to be a happy ending for everyone. Once I get the parts and rev 'em up, I'll make sure to change the thread name and original post to reflect the service I got in the end and the happy ending. As someone said before me It's not about the problems you get, but the service you receive if a problem does occur.

That's it for now, I'll keep you guys posted when I'm ready to write the "conclusion" and post my results on the overclock. If I do overclock it in the end.

not to get off topic, but i wish i could have spoken to you before you pulled the trigger

Just some questions on your product choices. I too went with the p55d asus board but have since opted for the p55LX, in customer builds. All you really lose is a pcix16 slot that on that board only runs 8x8 anyways. Also, conductive tim is not somethign you have to worry about if you take your time. I have had really nice results with MX2. Also the coolermaster 212+ is still one of the best coolers under 60 bucks. Just soem thoughts for you to chew on.

My guess? He orderd the giftcard from newegg.com and then tried to use it at newegg.ca which there systems are different and thus the gift cards wont work. (Just what I gathered via google search"

not to get off topic, but i wish i could have spoken to you before you pulled the trigger

Just some questions on your product choices. I too went with the p55d asus board but have since opted for the p55LX, in customer builds. All you really lose is a pcix16 slot that on that board only runs 8x8 anyways. Also, conductive tim is not somethign you have to worry about if you take your time. I have had really nice results with MX2. Also the coolermaster 212+ is still one of the best coolers under 60 bucks. Just soem thoughts for you to chew on.

For the board it wasn't a choice, I had to deal with the fact that I won't only use a pci-e GPU on it, but also a PCIx-1 sound card and a PCI slotted 56k modem ( yeah, still living in caverns around here ). This model was the only Asus model that gave me the room and the open slot once the dual slotted GPU was in. I looked for others, but noticed I would've had to sacrifice either the 56k modem ( unacceptable ), or the add-in sound card which is brand new.

And talking about that Gigabyte Hd5850 OC, it got good reviews, but before buying there is something I overlooked and I do feel ashamed about it. Being a Vet at building my PCs myself, been at it for 12 years now. I didn't look at the CUSTOMERS posts in forums. Looks like they have one hell of a time with it, no 2d clock by default ( can be corrected with ati tray tools, but it still sucks ). Fans are a bit loud, but I don't mind that at all, as long as I can make it spin faster than the default 55% up to 100%. People complained that you couldn't slow them down. Manufacturer says they're working on a bios fix. Actually, I noticed that they fixed one of the aforementioned problems already with a bios update a few months ago. Let's hope they continue to work on it. Shouldn't be hard to fix something like this.

It's actually the first time around I mess with the TIM on my builds, I thought that by going "safe" in my learning phase would be wise. But you're right in a way, the Mx-2 and Mx-3 aren't conductive nor capacitive ( I learned that too late ). Alas, newegg doesn't have them in store. But, I'll definately consider them for the near future for my GPU and CPU.

As for the cooler, I had to compromise to make sure it would fit under the huge 250mm fan on the side panel of the Azza Solano 1000 case. The 212+ was too tall, I feared that it might get in the way of the 250mm side panel fan. So I went with the slightly smaller 92mm fan equipped one. I will use it in push-pull tho, and being spotted just below that monster of a side panel fan, I'm fairly confident it will still shine. I guess I could've modded the side panel a wee bit so as to make the 212+ fit under the huge fan, but as I've never had any on hands and it's kinda hard to judge what you can do with pictures, I prefered to play it safe. Not to mention the TX3 is WAY cheaper and still delivers a lot over the stock cooler. Great bang for the buck, especially in push pull. And lightweight to boot, just what I was looking for.

My guess? He orderd the giftcard from newegg.com and then tried to use it at newegg.ca which there systems are different and thus the gift cards wont work. (Just what I gathered via google search"

Actually, I just double checked that, cause you may have well been right. But all my historical records show that we indeed ordered the Gift Card from newegg.CA. That's nice to know for future reference tho. Thanks for the info.

UPDATE:

Gift card went through it seems, it got charged, I haven't verified the balance left on it yet, but my account do says "charged" on the order. Since I clicked "use gift card as only payment option at step 1", everything should be smooth sailing from now on. As long as all parts are functional at reception.

Will keep you guys posted.

Just received the first parts today, if any moderator can see this, you can switch the ( in progress ) status to ( resolved ). As the Gift Card issue is definately resolved. As long as there is no DOA parts, it should be a happy ending for everyone.

P.S.: Just did some tests with the Arctic Silver Céramique TIM I received today. I couldn't test it yet on my new rig cause a few parts are still en route, but I tested it on my old E6420 2.13Ghz Oc'ed to 3Ghz as well as my Nvidia 9600GT. There results are pretty amazing. 10 degree Celsius drop in temperature for both the GPU and CPU at full load. Stress testing using Furmark and RealTemps Load Tester ( 1 instance for each core ).

Can't wait to try it out on the Core i5 750 with the Hyper TX3 cooler :D.

Just received the first parts today, if any moderator can see this, you can switch the ( in progress ) status to ( resolved ). As the Gift Card issue is definately resolved. As long as there is no DOA parts, it should be a happy ending for everyone.

P.S.: Just did some tests with the Arctic Silver Céramique TIM I received today. I couldn't test it yet on my new rig cause a few parts are still en route, but I tested it on my old E6420 2.13Ghz Oc'ed to 3Ghz as well as my Nvidia 9600GT. There results are pretty amazing. 10 degree Celsius drop in temperature for both the GPU and CPU at full load. Stress testing using Furmark and RealTemps Load Tester ( 1 instance for each core ).

Can't wait to try it out on the Core i5 750 with the Hyper TX3 cooler :D.

Go to your orginal post up at the top. Click "thread tools" and click on solved. :thup: you can change it yourself.

Last edited:
Go to your orginal post up at the top. Click "threat tools" and click on solved. :thup: you can change it yourself.

I have 3 options on this menu, but none says "solved", there's the "email this page" "show printable version" and "unsubscribe from this thread". That's it.

Weird, if you are logged in and its your own post you are suppost to be able to "Solved" it yourself.

Back