• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme Motherboard SCREAMING!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtmcnamara

Ok so here is the complete rundown of specs:

Asus Rampage 3 Extreme Motherboard
Intel i7-980x CPU (stock clock speed with turbo mode turned off)
24GB DDR3 1333 OCZ Ram
1200 watt Antec PSU
2 EVGA GTX 480 GPUs
2 OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD drives RAID 0 Boot
4 WD Black SATA 3.0 1TB RAID 5 Storage
Corsair 800D Case
Corsair H50 Cooler (Dual 3,000rpm scythe fans push pull)
OCZ Ram cooler
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Ok so here is the run down. We were running the system and we were pushing it pretty hard on all 12 threads and all the sudden it decided to do this ear killing beeping noise. Well you cannot do ANYTHING... We tried to do a restart, a shut down and nothing. It froze then after 5 minutes or so it completely shut off.

Well then we powered it up again and it went through and we had to fix the startup for windows. We played around for a little longer and then it did it again, this time we didnt try to shut it down but just continued to do our work and it let us just go along, we saved files and all and then tried to shut down. Right when we tried to shut down thats when it froze and would not let us do anything else.

We then tried one last time and this time before we even got into windows it did it and then blue screened with a code:

0x000000f4

Temps are all fine, in the lower 40-50s constant. I cannot figure out why this is happening. I am thinking it might be the motherboard, I will be talking to ASUS tomorrow, but I was just trying to get some suggestions for you guys before I go and exchange it, since its been like a week since I bought it.

Here is a video link of the sound.

Extra fans were thrown on the GPUs just in case something was running hot, but we are still getting the same crap...

Is it a "beep" as in the motherboard speaker beep or is it a high-pitched squeal? A high pitched squeal could be the mobo or psu having issues with capacitors. If its a speaker beep its a motherboard issue.

Try clearing the cmos on your mobo and/or updating bios.

Is it a "beep" as in the motherboard speaker beep or is it a high-pitched squeal? A high pitched squeal could be the mobo or psu having issues with capacitors. If its a speaker beep its a motherboard issue.

Try clearing the cmos on your mobo and/or updating bios.

We cleared the cmos and also updated the bios and still nothing. We then cleared the cmos and reverted back to an over bios and still nothing. We will be trying everything with one video card and one stick of ram soon just so we can start to rule out things...

well we figured out what it was. When I was hooking up the PCI-E plugs I got my plugs mixed up and I was not allowing enough amps to one of the cards so they were screaming at me...LOL

Re ran the cables, paying more attention, and everything is fine now..

35K PPD rocking right now on F@H with the 2 GTX480 and 1 GTS 250...I love this new setup

Back