• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston HyperX ddr2 won't hit 1066 on Tpower I45

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grandpajohn

:bang head...pardon the newbie question, but I can't seem to get my ram up to speed when I install all 4 sticks on this mobo. Each dual channel 'kit' works just fine at 1066, but all 4 seems to swamp the controller or something. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking memory controller voltage or something, but I'm kind of a rookie at OCing.

Thanks!

Biostar TPower I45
QX6800 Extreme
4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1066 (can't get passed 851 MHz)
2 x 1GB ATI HD4870 in Crossfire mode
1000 watt ps
water cooled

Okay, dumb question... I will learn some more and see what I can do on my own. Biostar wants me to RMA the board, but I think that is the 'stock answer', and I have no intention of doing that.

What happens when the DRAM frequency is >851MHz... Prime blend fails, Memtest86+ fails, BSODs, etc.? Manually change DDR Voltage and the four primary DRAM timings (tCL, tRP, tRCD, and tRAS) to match the rated SPD / EPP data at DDR2-1066. Also manually change Chipset Voltage to +0.1 - 0.2V... default vNB on the P45 is ~1.1V, so bump it up to 1.2 - 1.3V w/ 4 sticks installed.

At 851MHz all is well. No Memtest errors, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit is happy as a clam (that is where it is set now). Auto voltage ramps up DDR to 2.3v but vNB stays at 1.1v. When I manually set DDR to 2.2v, timings to 5-5-5-15, vNB to 1.288v (+.2) and set DDR to 1066, I get 10,000 in 5 seconds in Memtest. I don't bother to boot because I am tired of waiting for the RAID to check/repair. Kind of stuck right there. Maybe I should RMA the board?

With DDR voltage set to 2.3V, and Chipset voltage to +0.2V, change the CAS (tCL) from 5 to 6 and tRAS to 18; 6-5-5-18 (all sub-timings on Auto except for tRFC; set to 54), then re-run Memtest.

:salute: U DA MAN!!! Memtest wouldn't even start at 1066 but I stepped back to 886 and all is well! This is the fastest I have been able to get! Thanks! ---- I guess the increased DDR speed is requiring me to slow down some timings so the mb can catch up? :)-/... heck, I don't know what I am saying, just a guess). Got some timing theory advice that will help me get better at this?
Thanks again, YOU ROCK!!!!

Fill out this BIOS template for the I45 w/ all of your current settings (just disregard the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
[BIOS SETUP] O.N.E
Over-Clocking Navigator [Manual OverClock]
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) : Disabled
Ratio CMOS Setting : ×6 
CPU Frequency Setting : 570(boot)
Over Clock Retry Count : 2
FSB Compensation: Enabled
FSB(Bsel) To NorthBridge Latch : 1333
DRAM Frequency : DDR2-1140
DDR2 Enhance Mode : Disabled

DRAM Timing Configuration
DDR2 RCOMP Configuration : 2
Static tREAD Value : AUTO
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD : Enabled 

Clock Gen Configuration
PCIE Frequency Setting : 100
CPU Clock Skew Control : 200ps
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control : 100ps
CPU Clock Driving Control : Auto

Voltage Configuration
CPU Voltage : 
DDR Voltage : +0.600v 
Chipset Voltage : +0.600v
FSB Voltage : +0.40v
CPU Core1 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.63*VTT
CPU Core2 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.67*VTT
MCH GTL Ref Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v

... and you might also want to post pic's of CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs.

I'm also having the same issue. But with only 2 sticks of memory. 1066 boots up but windows 7 will hang right during boot up causing me to reset. And it will only work at 851 mhz.

Same MOBO as the OP. but with a Q6700 processor.

What could it be?

You would do much better to start your own thead with a full breakdown of your system. Most users will not read all the way down thru an old thread form last year to look for a new post. Plus they will need all your system specs and the CPU-z screenies as mentioned in posts above. Good luck.

I'm also having the same issue. But with only 2 sticks of memory. 1066 boots up but windows 7 will hang right during boot up causing me to reset. And it will only work at 851 mhz.

Same MOBO as the OP. but with a Q6700 processor.

What could it be?

You would do much better to start your own thead with a full breakdown of your system. Most users will not read all the way down thru an old thread form last year to look for a new post. Plus they will need all your system specs and the CPU-z screenies as mentioned in posts above. Good luck.

I'll do that as soon as I get home. It bugs me that I can't use 1066 rated memory at 1066...

Back